Guardian Changes 8/19

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Buffrat, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

Remove reckless from guardian IMO, in fact also remove all bonuses about not target of target and put something more interesting there instead.

Granted I don't see that happening, but all this build about increasing dps when not tanking on a pure tank class was stupid to begin with.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

Not if my life depended upon it.
    Loredena, Mindsway, Karsa and 2 others like this.
  3. Darkon Well-Known Member

/shrug

It's still a resource of information. Personally I like to be as informed as possible!
  4. Corydonn Well-Known Member

If you count four years ago as informed. Sure!
    Mindsway, Xillean and Feldon like this.
  5. Darkon Well-Known Member

Posts of relevant content as recent as today disagree about your four year claim, sir.
  6. Arnfield Member

Meh, can't understand any of the screenshots. Might as well be a picture of a kitten underlined by "Nerf Guardians!". It also took a really long time to get into flames.

But it sounds like this is based on a specific gear/group set up that most people are not going to have.

It would be kind of sad to nerf Guards right away when most everyone else is still rolling zerkers. Finding a guard out in the open world is like seeing a unicorn.
    Loredena likes this.
  7. Ebofu Active Member

It's based upon the guardian pushing like 3 buttons, don't kid yourself. You just won't, or shouldn't, ever see them justified over actual DPS. It's comic relief.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Could you please explain what makes a guardian any different then any other fighter in reckless? As far as i know guardians was always considered to be a "low dps" tanker with a lot of defensive stuff. Even their buffs are defensive while for example zerkers have a lot of offensive buffs. Is it purely because of prestige?
  9. Genghes Active Member

Their new singular focus buff is why they are so stout. Ae auto turns into flurry at a rate of 1:1 and all single target combat arts double cast. So in reckless they will gain substantially more combat art damage than other fighters
    Loredena likes this.
  10. Atan Well-Known Member

Understand this all comes with the ability to position and fight such that a melee swing is never attempted on you. While not impossible, it takes some effort to accomplish.
    Loredena and Dedith like this.
  11. Ucala Well-Known Member

what makes them different is that guardians can get 100 flurry, and with the right AA spec, their CAs (which already hit really hard) will now hit for twice.
    so in reckless, as well as single target fights mostly. a guardian will be trucking the mob with flurried autos Every single auto, as well as double the amount of reckless CAs
  12. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Really? :O
    I mean i get the prestige double CA spec but why do guardians get a unique, very powerful singular Focus? Does'nt make any sense.
    this singular focus is unique for guardians or do any other class get it? Is it obtained from the guardian trainer and is it available for all lvls? Guardians get 40% AE auto from warrior tree, can a low lvl guard convert that to flurry? Truth is I am playing a guard atm, made him before this thread and I had no idea. I've seen the dps prestige spec but did'nt think of it as anything special honestly. Will be a while before I hit end game with him tho since I am collecting armour sets and enjoying old content so the prestige is far away but I'll take the Xtra flurry instead of ae auto anytime! :p
  13. Estred Well-Known Member

Guardians were given Focused Offensive to get them to be on par with other MT Classes in terms of damage while Tanking. You get this ability at Level 80. It was added because while in Defense, Guardians lose a lot of damage so much that in CoE they were commonly about 25-40% behind Monks and Paladins for DPS while Tanking, without any major increase in their Tanking Ability. This is especially true if anyone ever specced Champion's Interception.

The problem comes when you equip nothing but WBD + Potency Dreadlord Gear and then go Reckless with Focused Offensive. Yes, just Focused Offensive will give a significant damage boost while in that set up but from having tried a DPS Setup like that it won't make you T1. When in Reckless though you get such ridiculous boosts that Defenders Charge alone was hitting for obscene amounts (by the way Decimate still would hit ~3/4 of what Defenders will in that set up). The root of the problem is that Reckless is still unbalanced especially with it's interaction with FO. Guardian's don't need Reckless anymore because of Focused Offensive being a Guardian Unique version essentially of Reckless. Something many players have stated should be true. Players need Class-Specific Stances.

Remove Reckless from the Guardian or make it so Focused Cannot apply it's Double-Cast Attribute while in Reckless and I bet a large amount of this issue will be resolved. Simply removing the 4th hit from Defenders Charge and removing Grit's DR while in Reckless won't fix a thing.
    Loredena likes this.
  14. Dedith Well-Known Member

Yeah, FO + Reckless + I'm-not-the-target-Prestige-dmg-boosts = funtime..

Keep in mind if you get agro, most of that goes away and you will likely die horribly.
    Loredena likes this.
  15. Talathionwins Active Member

I really don't understand why this is an issue. Reckless is horrible and a Guardian (DPSING) is far more a detriment to a raid then anything else. Who cares if he does 10-20% more damage? He has a chance to wipe the raid because he has so much outgoing aggro. You would literally need to stack buffs on him like amends and such to keep him alive, and if a mob aoe swings at him, off goes reckless and then he pulls aggro immediately and wipes your groups.

On paper it seems unbalanced, but in actual combat its a joke.
  16. Dedith Well-Known Member

As long as one has an AA spec, gear, procs, and adorns for threat reduction (like most dps do), it's not that detrimental to a raid. Clearly most will run that as a offspec build and gear set, but it's still viable.
  17. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

I don't understand the issue here either tbh, this xpac has been out for a long a time now and finding a guardian ingame is very rare. I would however rather see guardians once again shine as the solid pure tankclass rather then the new dps class. But by going reckless and equipping dps gear completely removes the ability to tank and you will be just as squishy as any other dps class, as tanks are only a "one per grp" kind of class i very much like the idea or the ability to go dps and being able to benefit the grp as a second fighterclass. SKs and Pallys can do insane AE dps in reckless and so can zerkers. So why pick on the guardian for the ST dps? There was a time when furys could top parses and they are priests who could do it without sacrificing their whole ability to heal.

point is, the game is as balanced as its going to get, there will always be classes to envy and classes that sucks for a while, just play whatever class you enjoy. Micro managing classes for perfect balance might be important in pvp but in pve who cares if you get outpatsed by a good geared guardian?
  18. Buffrat Well-Known Member

I am 80% sure the fix was goofed and the spell actually deals more damage now. Old Defender's Charge read Inflicts double damage if the guardian was not tanking the target, now it reads Inflicts six (three in Reckless) times damage if the guardian is not tanking the target. Too bad my guardian is naked now and I can't test it.
  19. Estred Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, yes it reads Six times and half of that while in Reckless. That means it's less effective in Reckless by 50% (cutting the potency of the attack in half). It is making Reckless not effect Defenders Charge. Instead now though Defenders Charge deals x3 instead of x2 when not tanking the target. I did some minor testing in Skyshrine.

I did ~25% HP on a Deathwing in one hit while I was the Target.
    I killed a Deathwing in one hit when my Merc was the Target.
    I killed a Deathwing when in Reckless and Not the Target.
    I did 25% on a Deathwing in Reckless while I was the Target due to Reckless dropping off.

I will need time where I don't have work to actually parse this out but I believe this change was aimed at reducing the effectiveness of Defenders Charge while in Reckless. I would need targets with more HP and ACT running to accurately find this out but this is a basic test not an in depth one right now. The dev's don't seem to want to reduce where the Guardian is while tanking or being Defensive. They do wish to reduce how Offensive a Guardian can get by controlling the multipliers Guardians have available to them.

Focused Offensive + Reckless isn't actually a problem. FO recasts Single Target Combat Arts which is an effective double damage or 100% Potency. Reckless grants double potency which can be anywhere from 100 to 500% or more Potency depending on the level of the player using Recklessness. In total a fully decked out in DPS gear and Reckless like the Russian Guardian is, he should have ~2200% Potency. Using basic math (since I don't have time as of this post to make a proper calculation with some help I have) that should be x22 damage discounting crits from Reckless alone. Now add FO and you should have x44 damage on the base x Critical Bonus. This is why that combo is so strong but lets look at Guardian BASE damage. I'll use his 700% Critical Bonus which is x8.5 damage 150 base + 700 (rounded) for math.

Overpower VIII: 11,203 to 16244 damage x 44 = 492,932 to 714-736 x 8.8 = 4,189,922 to 6,058,256 damage.
    The Recast is 5 seconds.
    DPS: 837,984 to 1,211,651

This is the fastest hitting Guardian CA other than Defenders Charge which shares the same recast of 5 seconds at 100% reuse speed. Now, with multiple classes hitting over 10 Million even at a rate of ~3 Combat Arts/Second and rotating in Slam, Decimate and Precise Strike (other hard hitting CA's) A Guardian should be doing ~6 Million DPS at this point cementing him into T2 DPS.

The problem arose with Defenders Charge which had (while not taking) an additional x2 and x2 from FO. Since my math accounts for FO already this is only an x2.
    Defenders Charge: 14,952 to 24,535 x44 = 657,888 to 1,079,540 x 8.5 = 5,592,048 to 9,176,090 x2 = 11,184,096 to 18,352,180 with a recast of 5 seconds.
    DPS without Grit Procs: 2,236,819 to 3,670,436 damage.

With just rotating Overpower and Defenders a Reckless Guardian under the old system was going to be doing 3,074,803 to 4,882,087 DPS. Add in that a Guardian will cycle a 3rd CA.
    • Bash deals about as much as Overpower adding ~400 to 600K at it's 10 second recast during a Cycle.
    • Gut Kick at 5 seconds dealing about as much as overpower will add ~800K to 1200K
    • Precise Strike dealing about as much as Defenders without another x2 will add 300K to 600K at it's 15 second recast.
    With rotations a Guard will easily break high DPS barriers. But remove Defenders hitting for absurd damage in reckless and Guards will be cemented at T2 or T1.5 DPS at the cost of their Tanking Ability. That's what Reckless is supposed to do.

Disclaimer: My math is not perfect nor is it accurate as I have not properly calculated it. I am using generalist math to illustrate a point regarding DPS using only two factors rather than all of them. A Guard breaking 6 Mil in full DPS set up is about reasonable.
  20. kitch1007 New Member

here is what needs to be done. for like all tank classes. get rid of reckless. even with tanks doing t2-t1 dps people still say "tanks dont dps" and it annoys me. cause i can dps as my sk. anyway /rant off. take reck out. add the removal of positionals and decrease in hate gain by 150% to the OFFENSIVE TANK BUFF.then add the pot. buff to it as well. instead of doubling potancy have it like add a 100-200% capped bonus to it that builds to it as you level up so at level 2 your not one shotting everything.