Fixed Internally Game launcher stalls after update

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Rattophaxe, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Nasiweis New Member

Patcher ist still not working....
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sigh...it's times like this when I miss you guys having a phone number we could call. X-P

Uwk
    who hasn't been able to get onto/into Customer Support for months now...and no, I don't have a second working email account >:-/
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

No, it's not. This has been my problem since last week's patch and has also been mentioned by someone else back up the thread. Something in the client/launcher changed last patch and it needs sorting by coder techies. not customer service. Preferably before the end of the current Live event on the 14th so we can actually participate.
  4. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

As far as I understand it, the old laucnher, some of us used/use, still had links to SOE servers/sites/whatever (you can actually see it in the error log), and those servers are finally unreachable, hence the launcher can't load the layout or redirect us to DBG servers to do so.

The only way to fix it is to download the recent laucnher it seems. Go to the main page-download the installer EQ2_setup.exe-launch it-select Repair option-point the program to the derectory where you already have the game-continue the process. Should take only a couple of seconds, since the whole game is downloaded already. Do not forget to go into the advanced options and check "Full Download" box, else you'll have the proverbial marching dragon.

Warning, few people reported that the installer can't find/do not recognise the directory where there already in. So they had to a new installation of the game into a different directory.
    Audric and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Tkia Well-Known Member

If what you say is true then it's possible that the client is also using old data from an out of date file somewhere. If so the real answer is for them to tell us which file is being referenced and what the correct data string is so that we can either fix it manually if it's accessible or delete and repatch it if it's not. Reinstalling an antire game to fix it wouldn't even be using a sledgehammer on a nut, it would be more akin to a wrecking ball.
  6. Evilary Well-Known Member

They don't want to reinstall the launcher, so I don't know if they would be willing to do extra to get the patch.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

Not every problem stops at the launcher. Some affect laincher and client, some don't start until invoking the client file.
    Twyla and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

They as in the players? Maybe they did, and that solution still didn't work. :-/

They as in the devs/techs/whoever that isn't just in Customer Support? We'll see if they can find out the thing that's hanging up and/or kicking out other folks. :-/

Luck to all! :)

Uwk
  9. Evilary Well-Known Member

This thread is about game launcher stalls after update. Reinstalling the launcher has been the fix for multiple other people.
  10. Evilary Well-Known Member

The person who I replied to asking how they expected a fix if the fix came through the launcher specifically said they didn't want to reinstall the launcher.

11. Aiyas New Member

I keep attempting to download the game to fix this but nothing happens, no downloading. This is beyond silly
    boredorm and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Arandar Well-Known Member

Folks need to understand that reinstalling the launcher doesn't mean reinstalling the complete game, as long as you don't change the install location. You just need to make sure that you change the option back to full download.
  13. Nicop New Member

And when using the everquest2.exe to enter the game you cant use the marketplace, so cant spend any money.
    it says something about you need to connect with steam
  14. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

That is some pretty gratuitous "misinterpretation" there. I said I don't want to re-install the GAME. I ONLY want to reinstall the launcher.

There - that clear enough for you?
  15. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Provided their dodgy reinstall/repairer actually *allows* you to set the correct location. Sometimes it doesn't, in which case you're in trouble.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Tkia like this.
  16. Evilary Well-Known Member

The below was your full quote. The variations of reinstall the game you were referring to is to reinstall the launcher. Even if you did a full game install, it only installs the launcher. The launcher installs the game. No matter how you interpret that, the game launcher is what you would be installing.

If you want to sit outside of game and complain rather than take 2 minutes to reinstall the launcher, then another minute to check full download box so it doesn't use the streaming launcher. Have fun!
  17. VAXen Member

This is still broken. Customer Service supplied their installer and it fails to perform a repair. Customer Support stated "If you are having issues with the Steam launcher, I would have to reccomend continuing to use the standalone Daybreak launcher to prevent further issues."

Unfortunately both Launchers are broken and I have to use the everquest2 exe file as a workaround. The DBG program repair fails with "You cannot install to the root of your Program Files directory. Please select another location."
  18. Kaaheel New Member

That was exactly the message I was getting when I tried to user the repair option on the installer. Since it has been days since this bug was reported and no real involvement from DB, I decided the only option for me was to completely reinstall the game into a new directory and reapply my UI mods to the newly installed game, Unfortunately this took me the better part of a day before I was satisfied with the results.

A note of caution to those running the Everquest2.exe, It is my understanding that as soon as DB patches the game again, probably this upcoming Tuesday, the Everquest2.exe you are currently using to play the game will no longer work.

Also, to those who have tried running the Everquest2.exe and it not working, make sure you are running the Everquest2.exe as Administrator or it will not work.

So my recommendation to those who still have this problem: Completely reinstall the game in a different directory before next Tuesday or you will really be locked out of the game. Plan accordingly depending on your download speeds and how modified your particular game is as it will take you hours to get the game back to where you are used to playing it.

Good Luck
    boredorm and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Arandar Well-Known Member

If you backup just the paks and music folders, do the reinstall of the launcher, and then move them into your new installation folder, that will eliminate 99% of the download. It's not necessary to download all 28GB of game data again.
  20. VAXen Member

A complete reinstallation does not solve the problem. I did a complete re-install to a separate directory using the DBG installer (not Steam), so started with the default settings. EverQuest 2 ran exactly once then stalled in the new Launcher when attempting to run the game the next day.

Current suggestion from Customer Support is don't use Steam.