FtP and Relics..

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Blackdog, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Entropy Well-Known Member

Please tell us a story of what it's like in the "real world". I'm curious. Especially since you seem to think that the only way to have disposable income or nice things is to inherit them. Does your corner of the "real world" look like a non-college-educated near-minimum wage unskilled-labor job where your employer caps you at 30 hours a week so they don't have to give additional full-time benefits? Oh, ok, then. Maybe you should have worked harder, earlier in life, so you didn't end up in such a tough position. Yeah, you're working extra hard now. Most of us work really hard. Congrats?

On a more germane note, I'd like the original poster to list out features of this game that should be restricted from F2P'ers. I'm curious to see how much of the content and overall gaming experience they expect to be delivered to them for free.

Employees of game development studios work extremely hard, dealing with a mostly whiny and uneducated playerbase, and they get little thanks. Maybe they should volunteer their time instead, rather than getting paid... just think, we could all be F2P then! (...there's still the pesky matter of hardware and bandwidth costs, but I'm sure the magical technology fairy can poop out a solution there too.)
    Kittybock, Adevil and Calbiyum like this.
  2. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

If you bought the expansion, it isn't being handed to you for free. And to gate the main quest reward that gives a much needed merc buff is going too far I believe.
    Kraeref likes this.
  3. Gethdil New Member

I was talking about those that want to sit there and say because someone can't afford $15 then they shouldn't play an MMO. Read those posts. I am a college grad. I work 2 jobs. I have bills to pay like anyone else. Elect, rent, car ins, car payment, child support, student loans, etc etc. In my neck of the woods, most of the people well off had mommy daddy money or were very fortunate. Not all of us in this world are as fortunate. Sometimes its called a mistake, sometimes its just called LIFE. But hey, if your one of those that feels that if one can't afford $15 a month, then go ahead and keep bashing me because its not going to bother me. If you weren't one of those people, then step off and get back to playing the game with other free to play people as well as paid members. Those posts made those posters sound like "I'm better than you" types of people just because they can afford $15 a month by they way they worded their posts. I could too, but I like to have food, electricity, a car, or even sleep. You know, the same things you work hard for too. Are you that naïve to think that everyone has to have it all and if they don't then they are a waste or are you truly just trolling me and really do know that people are just able to survive in life? Oh, an another correction for you, I never said the only way they could be well off was to inherit money. Being lucky doesn't just mean your loved one dying. What's lucky about losing a loved one anyway? It could mean (which it did) they were fortunate in landing an awesome job or maybe even winning the lotto. Nice way to slip words into my thumbs pal. Kudos. But I guess I am the bad guy here? That's cool, everyone needs a bad guy and if it helps you sleep at night, then I am the bad guy. Whatever.
  4. Livejazz Well-Known Member

As a F2P player, I care so little about this "issue" that I haven't even bought the expansion yet & likely won't do so until after the holidays. I may not even buy it then -- new content & a brand-new item grind without a level cap or even an AA increase do not at all excite me.

I see no reason for this restriction to change.
    Filly67 likes this.
  5. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Your smart-aleck reply only shows that you're not much better than the rest of the remarks posted and yours is the most offensive in the thread.
    Now back to the OP...
    It was mentioned in the Live stream and a thread was created discussing this back in October HERE.
    I am sorry if you missed the broadcast or replay or didn't see it in the patch notes but as some have stated and the team as well, they are for members and its a way to keep revenue incoming after the initial purchase of the expansion.
    Kittybock likes this.
  6. kluxor Well-Known Member

Lol at the mommy and daddy rant. I'm sure your gaming rig wasn't cheap but you have it and found a way to afford it

If anyone is seeking entitlement its that guy. $15...two packs of smokes, three over priced coffees, two burritos from chipotles (with guac)...the list can go on and on. If you want the benefits of a sub, you gotta pay for it. Cut expenses somewhere else if its such a big deal for you to have the prestige items. I'd love to see more benefits to being a paid subscriber.
  7. Calbiyum Active Member

What I meant by that is that if somebody is struggling to pay $15 a month to play an MMO they should not be investing their time in an MMO. These games are extremely time consuming and addictive even if somebody is a casual player. They very well may use the game as a substitute instead of going out on a Friday night or whatever and ending up spending money irl or maybe to relieve some stress. I never said these people don't deserve to play the game just that if you are in that sort of financial struggle most likely it is better to invest your MMO time into something else that can make your financial situation a little better.
  8. Adevil Well-Known Member

Yep, have to agree there. Plat = krono = membership = 500DBC per month. Sounds fair. You can play for free with full membership benefits if you actually put in the time/work playing.
  9. Adevil Well-Known Member

Oooh. Someone didn't fully understand the "use a condom" message.
    Just taking a walk along the road once a day can earn me $1 or $2 worth of bottles (per day) that peeps throw out. Honestly that no drinking & driving message hasn't been getting through to all.
  10. Entropy Well-Known Member

To be fair, they could have intentionally had a kid and then gotten divorced. Still their problem and not society's, but there's other ways to get stuck paying for a kid for 18 years. :)
    Adevil likes this.
  11. Kraeref Well-Known Member

^this. If free to play players paid for expansion they should at least be able to wear a ring and a neck piece for completing 27-11 quests. After all expansions are all about quests.

In my opinion the paying options should be:
    1. Paid subscription with free expansions or
    2. Paid expansions with free subscription.

Not both paid. It looks always like a rip off.
    Filly67 likes this.
  12. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Buying the expansion gives you access to:

Infusions
    New Diety system
    6 Advanced Solo
    5 Level Agnostic
    7 Heroic
    6 Event Heroic
    1 Contested
    1 x2 Raid
    3 x4 Raid
    Relic items

Buying the expansion plus having a membership gives you access to:

Prestige items

That seems like a pretty good deal.
    Adevil and Mermut like this.
  13. Filly67 Well-Known Member

I agree and the reason that I went F2P on our 4 accounts after seven years of yearly subs is not because it's we can't afford it. It because the game is in no way worth it.
    Calbiyum likes this.
  14. Kraeref Well-Known Member

What about prestige relic ring you get finishing solo sig quest line? Where does it fall in your listing?
    It's relic thus should be wearable by ftp but apparently dbg gated it by adding prestige to it. Clevah.
  15. Sudedor Well-Known Member

It's a Prestige item that happens to be a Relic as well. So, you need membership. This seems pretty easy to figure out to me . . .
  16. mouser Well-Known Member

Does it? It always looked normal to me.

Subscription pays for the ongoing maintenance and updating of the game.
    Expansion costs go to recoup the development costs of the expansion.

Yes, it's a bit more complicated than that, but there's the general idea of the business model for you. Of course, now we live in a FTP business model world where you have to attract and cater to "whales" to keep your game profitable while having enough "minnows" in the pond that your game seems popular.

Personally, I liked the simplicity of the old system where you bought your game and paid your subscription every month.
    Adevil and DoomDrake like this.
  17. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I think you need to first educate yourself on where it is your money goes. There's a lot more than what is presented on your screen. There are a bunch of people working hard on a regular basis to keep things going, there are also a lot of expensive pieces of equipment at work. A lot of stuff, that is generally taken for granted, provides you with this service. That's the nutshell version.

Now, this company has had the misfortune to have some people that have made some terrible financial decisions that have cut down the staff numbers quite a bit over the years and bring us to this point, where someone else is pulling the purse strings. The options you present just further push the game to closing. The second one is especially bad because no one is going to pay what they would need to charge all at once to cover costs for the rest of the year. The first would also require a price increase and it's already up there for an entertainment service.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

The GAME, or the benefits of subbing? I'd hope if you think the game is that bad, you'd fine something you enjoy doing instead..
  19. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Truthfully the game in general along with the benefits of subbing. And you're right, there's always plenty else to do. It used to be that the many hours that I put into the game were worth doing over other things. No that is not the case. I feel that most people get to this point eventually. I remember thinking in my first 2-4 years of playing that the "old timers" were crazy when they stepped back from the game. Now I totally get it. It's all about what's important to you. What's right for someone else isn't going to be the same for you. That being said, I truly believe that the overall decline in employees, effort, thought and game play are what have led me to moving on. It's difficult to walk away completely when you feel so invested but I am certainly not going to pay for something that I log into once or twice a week for less then an hour.
  20. Adevil Well-Known Member

More like there is so little difference between F2P and Member it makes you wonder why you're a member.
    Filly67 and Ahlana like this.