FtP and Relics..

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Blackdog, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Adevil Well-Known Member

Did you miss the Prestige items part of his post? The relic is a prestige item. Membership required, and only one can be equipped at a time.
  2. Adevil Well-Known Member

Maybe Daybreak can finance the next xpac with a kickstarter.
    Ahlana likes this.
  3. Adevil Well-Known Member

Really? I do spend a lot of time playing, but it's because it's just fun. Nothing about it has ever seemed worth doing other than from the fun standpoint. Admittedly I have met some neat people, but I did the same in chat forums, too.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  4. Ahlana Active Member

Yup they gave away WAAAAAAAY too much to F2P long ago. I liked the original F2P model myself. It has gotten to the point that I only pay the sub because someone has to pay. There is no real benefit to paying really.
  5. Adevil Well-Known Member

Actually the original was pretty painful. Having to pay to unlock bag slots, vault slots.. ow. Newbies now have no idea how easy it is for them :D
  6. Kraeref Well-Known Member

If relic can be wearable by ftp it should be wearable. Devs gated one attractive quest reward as prestige to gate it for ftps. Your logic is off. But I see why dbg has done bit. Forcing to get an all access.That's the only reason I replied on your clevah post.
  7. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Your posts always amaze me. I won't argue with you. I don't like doing it because it's like talking to a brick wall.

Lots of successful projects had 1 or 2 option.

PS It's incredibly good for you that you are so well educated yourself in all aspects of running the gaming business. My Hat off for you.

Good day.
  8. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Relic is, Prestige isn't. This happens to be both. DBG isn't forcing anyone to do anything. They are enticing everyone. That is good marketing. Putting an attractive reward in a place where it makes them money without breaking the game experience for everyone. It's actually well done.

Do you need Mercenaries to enjoy the full EQ2 experience? No, you don't. Just like you don't need this reward. You want it, many people want it. That's good design. Sure, if it was more than a handful of items, it might be a problem . . . but it's not. Kudos to DBG for finding a way to entice people to pay a subscription without breaking the game or creating a less enjoyable experience for those who choose not to.
    Tharrakor and Adevil like this.
  9. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Why even bring mercs in a conversation. Just to post a wall of text?
    If people paid for expansion and expansion s are about questing then quest rewards should be wearable by all. There only three after all. A ring, a neck and a ts reward. Make everything else is for all access. I am sure some ftps bought $139 expansions and not being able to wear quest rewards is a low blow.
  10. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Really. It was a progression of working our characters, building a guild and raiding in order to accomplish something. Not rocket science but still something we considered worth out time. Time and money that many would spend on eating out four times a week, hitting a bar, smoking, etc... was an activity that my husband and I enjoyed together. When the devs made it feel like a job and a grind, well I get paid for that, I do not pay for it.
  11. Adevil Well-Known Member

Building a guild. Only to watch yet another guild die as players move one.

Eating out 4 times a week would be the equivalent of, what, 28 accounts at membership level? I suppose it depends on where you're eating. My guestimate there was McDonalds level.

You used past tense referring to your husband. Hope he just stopped playing.
  12. Filly67 Well-Known Member

We built are guild mostly by ourselves so no we never left. Which also goes to your third statement, yes he just stopped playing. Although right now he is slaughtering mutants in fallout IV. But I sincerely appreciate your concern.

And yuck. I haven't eaten McDonalds or it's equivalents in almost 15 years. I don't eat garbage. :)
    Adevil likes this.
  13. Livejazz Well-Known Member

If I were a raider concerned with progression, I'd be a paying subscriber. Since I couldn't care less about raiding of any sort, I'm not a subscriber, because I don't need to be. I probably will have to break down & buy some broker tokens this weekend, but other than that, I have no actual "need" to spend money on this game at all. So, I don't.

FWIW, I actually had to buy this particular character class; back in those early days of F2P, Bards weren't free. I thought that was a decent model, & I'm rather surprised they've gone as far as they have beyond it. Even as a F2P player, I think the F2P model is overly generous.
    Ajjantis likes this.
  14. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

The Big Picture.
    When these threads pop up, some people seem to miss out on the big picture. Granted, the cost of subscription can be deferred through game play and other means, but I think some miss the point entirely. It's not about internet access or Big Macs, its about the direction the game is going.

Having to subscribe to have access to best in slot items sets a precedent and a standard for all things to come. Granted, there was a post by a dev that claims these relic items are not required to clear the new content, but I'm sure they'll make it more enjoyable.

Lets step into the future to see how this could unfold:

November 2016: Marketplace of Mayhem!
    You must buy the 189.00 Super Value Pack in order to access member exclusive heroic and raid dungeons where best in slot items drop: Vestiges of the Ancients.
    A new platinum level of subscription will allow you access to /bank anywhere and fast travel directly to dungeon doors *and* equip the newly dropped Vestige items.
    Platinum subscription PLUS the 189.00 expac unlocks all elite mercenaries for hire
    189.00 expac plus Plat Subscription *plus* 5 level 100 characters unlock secret marketplace items where you can buy best in slot gear.
    The list could go on and on... so when a trend like this is spotted, it should be brought to light.

For me its all about this: does paying for my subscription give me access to amenities that make my gaming life more enriched, or does it give me access to items that make my character more powerful. Subbing for BIS items is a slippery slope - before long you may see Relics on the Marketplace for 5000SC.
  15. Adevil Well-Known Member

Hm. Yep, I can just see it now. OMG, I can't even log on unless I pay $15 a MONTH?!!!! Sorta like it used to be?
  16. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Thanks for reinforcing the idea that people miss the point.

I'd definitely welcome it going back to paid subscriptions only.
    Tawnia likes this.
  17. Alarra Well-Known Member

My point of view is let them have the Sig line relic, but make it the only relic they can get.

I want to feel like I am getting something other than double tokens for being a member (I know there are a few more perks, but it is the only one that I feel I get something from).

The below is not meant for the OP, but FTP players who want additional content to what they are getting:

As for $15 a month, I bought the 1 year sub, so it is $10 a month. I usually buy it at the same time as the expansion, so it is easy to budget for. $200 a year give or take a few due to exchange rate is pretty good for entertainment expenses I think.

Consider how much some people spend on booze/smokes/TV subs/Netflix, for $10 a month, it is cheap entertainment.

Don't smoke or drink booze for a month or 2 there is your full years sub for EQ2 and it will do your body some good too.
  18. resonate Active Member

u pop bottles breh?
  19. Vladislav Active Member

This is not slippery slope at all. This is exactly how F2P started with people unable to equip legendary+ gear unless subbed. Once game removed all treasured gear from progression, F2P players had that restriction removed. Now we have prestige gear replacing old legendary and fableds in this regard. Just as restrictions for spells moved from masters to grandmasters and ancients. This is very consistent with the original model. BIS gear for subs makes sense and in no way needed to clear content in all but the highest levels.
    Deveryn likes this.
  20. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It's a proven model, too. EQ1 has been using it for a few years now. Those that choose not to pay and probably only solo will get all that they need to continue doing so. Those that want to do more, will have the incentive to pay.