Fountain of Life - eat's eyes yet requires them for access

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-Ishbu, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Named88 Guest

If you're going to keep it like this put in 9 seperate ring events like life and death. You do the 9 "trials" and you gain all the eyes. Please don't bring random named pops into the picture because then it ends up being hours and hours of camping. They need to spawn VERY VERY often if you expect us to refarm this crap every time we want to go in.
  2. ARCHIVED-Renaven Guest

imo, if you want us to acquire 9 eyes every time (still a little opposed to the idea) then they should drop a lot more commonly than they do now. Believe me when I still say it can take 40-60 hours to get all 9 eyes. It should take 2-3 hours max, and we can enter when our 20 hour timer is up.

Congradulations on putting in worthwhile legendary loot, however. This is a zone we will definitely farm when we aren't raiding -- we just don't like to be forced to farm the eyes time and time again.

One thing on the loot if this hasn't been posted yet, a lot of the new introduced loot is great, but some of them has no level requirement, or no class requirement (just says class: all) and it appears red and unusable to everyone in the raid.
  3. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

I have and continue to see the Fountain of Life as an opportunity for all raiding guilds to participate in contested-level content and effort for loot drops that would otherwise only be available from contested raid mobs. As far as that idea goes, I'm strongly behind it. I don't mind raiding every other day for a week or more in order to get a shot at contested-level content w/o having to compete with others for it once we have been flagged for entrance. Similarly I don't mind getting re-flagged for this instance on a continuing basis in order to continue to access such content.

At this point, I start to take issue with the mechanics of how this works currently. While I don't want access to be so simple that the Fountain instance requires nerfing to its drop rates or drop quality (both yet to be determined), the camps need to have interim rewards that warrant the length of time spent here.
    Toward this end, master loot drops should be less reliable than instances (we could be doing instances, but then wouldn't be working towards Fountain of Life flagging) although loot quality should be better (and it is, if the update is any indication). We need to be equipping people if we are spending even a moderate percentage of our raiding time working on this flagging step. Compared to the amount of loot generated by a night farming t5 instances pre-DoF the loot drops from farming Silent City are sorely disappointing.
    Access cannot be expended for every entry, random zone instability and the level of effort required for entry dictate that this does not make sense.
    Flagging should last until the instance is completed (as with Spirits of the Lost). Use whatever device is appropriate: repeatable access quest, existing Epic quest, or something else entirely. The output should be such that we can, on a per-character basis, acquire a flag that lasts for that character as long as the instance is not defeated. Appropriate lockout timers to prevent unreasonable farming are acceptable if necessary. This can be a zone where each character must be flagged for entry (from having being present in the raid when the eyes are consumed) and for which no workaround exists.

Finally, the loot drops and drop rates in the Fountain of Life should be re-examined (if not done already) before guilds start to complete this content. Nothing like being the first to do it only to find out it is horribly broken -- this has already happened to one or more guilds posting here with respect to access to this zone. The loot should warrant the time invested and there should be both reliable and varied drops that encourage guilds to repeat this content regularly to equip all of their classes.
    Message Edited by deaks on 11-01-2005 01:34 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-Named88 Guest

Very, very well said. The last two paragraphs should be read and re-read by the devs.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gaellen Guest

Agreed, but note the highlight - this is a timeframe I could live with. It would still allow us to explore other raid zones as their timers come up. It's not quite like that right now.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kraks_Aforty Guest

6 hours clearing everything.

1 Goliathan up top (dropped wood)
    2 named x2 on the floor

That's it. We cleared everything over and over for that. And all we need is 1 friggin eye from the x2s. Don't ask about loot. Been mainly crap, even after their changes.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kraks_Aforty Guest

Sorry....we also beat the little timed event for Flayer. He dropped a crap item and his eye.
  8. ARCHIVED-Named88 Guest

Yeah... We're up to about 16 hours camping goliathan with no spawn... thanks sony
  9. ARCHIVED-quamdar Guest

very good ideas, one thing i think would be nice too is if maybe instead of every person having to have been at the placing of the eyes maybe require 20/24 or 22/24 have the flag from that so that you can switch people out that can't be there one night but that were there at the placing of the eyes. kind of like how you could zone people into different planes in EQ1 if enough had the flags already. it should be a pretty high number though so that it couldn't be exploited somehow.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kraks_Aforty Guest

Nearly 5 more hours in there tonight.

1 named pop the entire time, it was that stupid Lion named. We still have never seen the General spawn.

Way to go upping that spawn rate, guys. If you really think you did us a favor, you need to rethink things. You have made this mind numbingly dull.
  11. ARCHIVED-TunaBoo Guest

Total of around 20 hours invested. 4 of 9 eyes, 1 general kill, 1 named lion kill, 10 million spiralgaze kills, 3 named on ground kill... no metal yet, no big golem spawn, no godking spawn.. ;/
  12. ARCHIVED-Kraks_Aforty Guest

*nod* We're around 50 hours total camping that place.

Sony, putting a 20 hour lockout on a zone that take 50-100 hours of RAID CAMPING to get into is just plain stupid. Honestly, to do 50 - 100 hours of camping with AN ENTIRE RAID takes WEEKS to complete. I can't keep my members down there for more than 4 or 5 hours without their heads beginning to explode.

Get this fixed.
  13. ARCHIVED-reaper98 Guest

Ok.. so we gave it another shot last night.. 6 hours doing the Epic x4 rings..
    Only one named poped.. and it droped wood... but here's the Big question I
    want to ask..
    Has the zone it self been looked at?!? because if we all farm the eyes for
    60+ hours again to go in there and fight buggy mobs again.. *uugghhh*
    What's going to be the point?!?
  14. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

Yep, 60+ hours twice now camp9ing eyes to beta test an unfinished zone with bugs galore and loot issues along with over powered mobs. Real fun I tell ya.
    Message Edited by Naggybait on 11-02-2005 12:51 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

Or, go in there again and have the zone crash on you again within 20 min. :(
  16. ARCHIVED-ChaosUndivided Guest

Or go in, fight the 1st Incredibly difficult encounter and beat it only to reach the second one, wipe and be naked thus having to start all over again until you learn every encounter in the zone, which could take upwards of 5-6 full armour sets. :smileysad:
    Message Edited by ChaosUndivided on 11-03-2005 12:03 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-TooSwiss Guest

FoL so far is an incredibly fun zone, ya it's going to take a few shots before you can take down Godking Anuk, but that's why it's fun, because it's a challenge. However, the farming the eyes for 60+ hrs each time to get in is just LAME!!!!! LAME I SAY!!!!
  18. ARCHIVED-ProphecyCT Guest

Don't forget the instance crashing on u =P
  19. ARCHIVED-TunaBoo Guest

Well the crap outside drops loot now.. so at least you get rewarded.. this is how they keep us busy until they add more t6 raid stuff ;P

Oh well.. sucks to be on servers with multi guilds trying to farm the same thing.
  20. ARCHIVED-Feltrak Guest

Sounds like a good idea over all. I like having players control the lockout. However, it still sounds a bit extreme. Making the actual quest process more rewarding and innovative is a good idea. T6 Rares ... hmmm... will do nothing but give guilds mass amounts of extras just like pre dof with rubies. Kudos to SOE for giving us raid content that doesn't involve going into an instance, killing a mob, moving to the next instance, and killing that mob.

I am going to delve into this with my guild this week, and am not at all looking forward to being 1 of 3 guilds running around trying to get eyes. I think reducing the number of eyes you are required to get from named x4's will help to lower the time it takes to get in. However, it seems that no matter what the changes that are put in, this zone is gonna be a time sink. Otherwise guilds could go in a couple few times a day, and sony would not like that, so they'd make the eyes more rare. Never ending cycle.

Good luck all :)