Fix Server Populations

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Atan, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Kander Developer

Sorry to hear that Atan, I am posting a call out for Influencer peeps today and was kind of hoping you would join the team.

Good luck in future endeavors Sir!
    Katz, Xillean, Mizgamer62 and 4 others like this.
  2. Uncle Active Member

The sooner in august the better IMHO and For the record i dont care what you neamed my toona s log as i have Players to do adventures with just geter done

Uncle
    Neiloch likes this.
  3. Xevran Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that because I'd like to play again once the populations are fixed. I'd also hope you guys plan on fixing the name issues though, it's almost impossible to name a new character because so many names are taken by people that haven't played the game in 10 years. Something really needs done about this problem for me to truly want to come back and play again.

Also has there been any word on whether people from AB will be getting free server transfers? Because I really wanted to transfer my characters to Freeport.
  4. Nauralea Active Member

You are always wise Dedith :) That's likely the reason but unfortunately I'm worried about the bounce back of, people leave for TLE, people on main server wait around cause no one is on, those people log off - people come back from TLE see no one around get bored and log off ;\ (holy run on sentence and bad grammar!)

It's not something you can definitively plan for but it's something I would expect to happen to a degree due to how low population some of the servers are. At any rate here's hoping things bounce back and the merges can come swiftly :)
  5. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Yeah, still waiting for the results on that "poll".
  6. Bayfia Member

Okay, I have to say it, I am NOT happy about everybody running off to the new "OLD game" servers, stripping the population from the one I'm in (Freeport at the moment, but my Main and most of my characters are on Antonia Bayle). But what REALLY worries me is the possibility that those of us who are long-time veterans of EQ2 (I'm an 11-year vet) and who do NOT want to relive the very early days of the game (I LIKE it as it is now on the regular game. I LIKE having Prestige Homes, I LIKE having a variety of really fast mounts, I LIKE all the fabulous content that I can play through...... and I like having friends to play with.... The possibility that the regular game will be "disposed of" because all the late arrivals to Everquest 2 want to experience the game as it was in the beginning. I know, I know.. people want more challenge, they want it "tough," they think they don't NEED prestige homes to decorate (I'm a big time decorator too). They think they don't "need" flying mounts (I think they are in for some serious frustration on that score). I don't want to lose the game that I have, that I have invested a great deal of money in, over these 11 years, just because the majority feel like running to new servers where they can do "deja vu all over again". I am doing "daju vu all over again on my current lvl 96 Warden on Freeeport. She was created 2 months ago - and she's been touring the zone like crazy - NO agnostic dungeons for her! SO.. are we gonna have the game we paid for over these 11 years, in another couple months? Are we? Or am I going to be faced with a really hard choice - to throw my game away and go away mad, or give in, and play all that "same old stuff, different day," with none of the amenities and wonderful things I have got used to. Inquiring minds want to know!
    Torvaldr likes this.
  7. Brunlin New Member

^ I'll have whatever he is smoking :rolleyes:
    Deago likes this.
  8. Turboadn New Member

Kander, I'm wondering, with how well instancing is working out on Stormhold can you see a possibility of merging all PVE_servers into one now?
  9. wazul Active Member

when i buy content, it's for play inside. not walk around and look moon or sun, and cut flowers.
    10 years i play, 30000 or 40000 sc since i play, 20 krono, etc. BUT yes, i not spend another cent in futur content if server storm stand alone. cross dunjon... fusion ... another solution, but for me, not possible to spend again for nothing and look how landscape in eq2 is beautiful.
  10. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

People need to chill out. These TLE servers are brand new and interesting. Many will loose interest and go back. They are saying merges are coming. Lesser servers FTW! So its all good! :D
  11. d1anaw Well-Known Member

I agree with you Caela. Hubby and I went on last night and did the island. But when we got to Qeynos, it just wasn't the same. There was much I missed about what I have now. And I don't think that will change. So meh.... I will stick with the present and likely leave the past in the past. My major annoyance is that I spent money to make a character over there. I wish there were some kind of trial thing. Maybe I should have done the Beta.
  12. Cleaner Active Member

well time locked is and will bring many backed to the game as it gives new people a chance to group and start out fresh at a slow pace to a)learn the characters and playstyles) B) have a vast population in the same range to group with. so i can see where that was a game revitalization.

the other servers will have to be merged down drastically to make up for the new TL servers. But for me i work 1 week off a week and my off week i log in the morning and sit beging for groups for hours on end on a dead server.

I HATE to have to leave but i feel im being forced into it.
    I really dread getting involved with another game as i tend to be fully focused and dedicated to anything i get involved with.
  13. Atan Well-Known Member

I think these servers are more about bringing people back to the game than they are targeted at existing players.

Most existing players will tire of the TLE rather quickly and move back to where they are research rich. However, former players are pretty excited to play again in a 'restart' scenario and it is very fortunate for DBG to be getting alot of new/returning customers.
  14. Nauralea Active Member

Unfortunately even if folks only play on TLE for a short time for the low-population servers the damage is already done. Merely because if you half the population on the already struggling sites it leads to the people who stayed behind becoming disenfranchised, upset and then they themselves are quitting or stop logging in. (As one who has stayed behind I've been watching this behavior) Which means when people do come back from TLE they will find even less people than when they wandered off which may lead to them becoming upset and they themselves quitting. (which I've seen this already too)

I think the TLE serves a purpose and there are loads of people who wanted them and that's great. And I do not begrudge anyone for wanting to play there, if you love it you should do it, but I have a hard time believing that their impact won't be felt for a long time. Just have to hope folks can have patience for the fact it is summer (sometimes one of the hardest points to get groups in eq2) and that relief is coming.
  15. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Merging servers should have been the priority....starting a long time ago...we are long overdue. I am glad they are addressing it now, but I fear it may not be soon enough...hope I am wrong though.
  16. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Personally, I hope that they are a bit smarter about the upcoming merges than they were last time. To me, it would make more sense to equalize the populations (at least as much as is possible) if they are going to retain multiple US servers.

For example, if they are merely going to half the number of servers, then they could pair the largest server with the smallest, the second largest with the second smallest, the third largest with the third smallest, and continue this pattern until each server has merged with another. This would attenuate the extremes of massive and tiny populations, and make it where there really is no clear go to this one for grouping and raiding server. In other words, the resulting populations would be neither too large nor too small.

I understand that some people might be opposed to one extreme or the other and prefer their extreme, but I think that my suggestion would achieve the most equitable result for the most people.
  17. YliYli Member

I can no longer rely on dungeon finder for my lower level alts; I can't find heroic groups and there are just one or two of us left online in our guild since the TLE servers opened. One by one, I am watching them give up logging in at all. By the way, I play on Antonia Bayle. It's a good job I like decorating, but I am starting to talk to my merc now that there isn't anyone left to play with.

I completely understand people wanting to experience the TLE -- especially if they came late to the game and missed out. I played this at beta the old way, then at launch on Kithicor, then re-rolled on AB fairly early on (even back then servers like Kithicor were dying out) so forgive me for not wanting to do -that- again :/ (and until you have a whole level bar in xp debt, been killed by the forge, and have to craft WORTS, you have not experienced what it was really like back then :p )

Really hoping a merge comes soon and that AB will not be left out of that process. Where did Lucan De'Lere merge to? There'd be a good few RPers left in that community.
  18. Josgar Active Member

I can't honestly be the only person running around on their old main character in addition to playing on the TLE server... can I?
  19. That guy. Well-Known Member

Just merge everything into Antonia Bayle and Freeport. There's no need for more than two servers this late in the game's life.

Guess you could keep Nagafen on life support for the 5 people that still want and use a "PvP" server. I'd shut it down personally, but hey, it's just a little extra on the electric bill for DBG to keep it limping along.
  20. Cyliena Well-Known Member

The way they handled names with the last set of merges (in 2010) was brilliant, imo. This was how it worked:

Seemed to work out well enough.