Fireplaces

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Narrek of Butcherblock, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the screenshots detailing your materials! :)

Uwk
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I LOVE those light blue and black...whatevers framing the firebox in the second picture! What are they? :)

Uwk
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'll have to post the place of my Provisioner, Peklochlapec (Crushbone), one of these days; he's got an outdoor grill "pit"/ standing area made from appearance altars of Brell, turned inward (for the stone outer look), and Oggokian torches and a Halasian andiron for the fire inside. I have a couple of iron fence pieces I was trying to use for grilling fish, etc. (like a sandwich, with the fish in between), but the top one kept "dancing," since they don't like being horizontal. Even using not-quite whole numbers didn't help, so now it's standing like it wants to, as if it's "hinged" from the other one. I've got a butcher's block (from Nights of the Dead) nearby with food stuff, ready to go on the grill; now I need his Carpenter brother to make him some actual grill master tools (more stuff from Nights of the Dead recipes). ;->

The Ancient Stove (not sure of the actual name of it; lemme check EQ2 Furniture.com...) -- er, Antique Stone Stove does well outdoors, simply because it's pretty huge, and comes with a built-in grill area, as well as areas where bread could be made. It'd probably be a little pricey on the Broker, because it takes Level 95 Advanced Carpenter recipes and a rare material to be able to make it. :-/

But the screenshot is great. ;->

Uwk
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Shamus! Hey, it's Uwk! ;->

Listen, dude, don't worry about the fancy program (and when you want to, there are all sorts of tutorials on it, and you can do truly amazing things with it, from what I hear ;->); you can edit the layout file that any home comes with (and possibly guild hall, though I'm not sure about that; haven't had to do one) using Notepad or Wordpad; it's easy once you know what the numbers relate to. Mistal had an excellent guide to this way back when, and I sort of revitalized/revamped it (shameless plug!), since it originally came out in 2009.

Here's the link:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/mistals-notepad-or-wordpad-editing.6554

Hmm, let's see about hyperlinking that properly...one moment... ;->

Mistal's Guide/Uwk Edited

If you're like me, and don't have a lot of in-depth knowledge of all the house item stuff out there, EQ2Furniture.com and EQ2Traders.com are excellent sources, too. Basically, the first is a big database of items, but there are great screenshots of each item, and frequently more often than either Allakhazam or EQ2 Wiki have (though they're getting better all the time, to quote from the Beatles). And the second site, EQ2Traders, has lots of explanatory text, to-scale screenshots in situ of the items, etc.

Sometimes, though, the only way you can tell what something will look like in 3D as something else entirely (bottle top as a doorknob, upside-down brazier as a thrust engine, etc.) is to just visit lots of places and do a lot of Examining of stuff, like I do...nosy kitty that I am. ;->

Uwk
    Spindle and Shamus9 like this.
  5. Shamus9 Active Member

Thank you so much for the links & info! I see that I have some studying to do while I wait patiently for those Vales :)
    I now have a starting point, which is priceless.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw... /blush ;->

I will say, though, that with the Pitch and Roll stuff now included in the basic decorating capability, you might not need any of this stuff, but I still find the Notepad editing useful for things (like increasing the height of a teleport pad beyond the limits of your "camera person"), and the Layout Editor is capable of wondrous feats of glory. ;->

I have issues with the Pitch and Roll myself, simply because they're way too sensitive for my meaty kitty paws. Until I get the hang of 'em, number-crunching still works for me. ;->

Uwk
    Shamus9 likes this.
  7. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Those are Draconic Pedestals and are carpenter made They come in 3 colors ,light blue +black ,Light purple+black and Light red(pink ) not sure what to call it and black :) all from the grandmaster carpenter books ,
    I love them as well .
  8. Aderissah Member

I recently published a home on AB (it was originally on BB) and they are two of my favorite fireplaces that I've done. The Hog's Head, medium homes.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

This one is from my harry potter dungeon which has yet to be republished since my server transfer.
    [IMG]
  9. Shamus9 Active Member

These are great! I especially love the almost barbaric feel of the first one. Makes me think I would walk out into a blizzard if I left the house! :)

How do we go about visiting a home to view it? (Yup, I am new)

And,
    lol Uwk
  10. Morg Well-Known Member

if the house is listed on the leaderboards, simply Hit you eqII button and then go to House Leaderboards, click it open and look for the house there. There are different categories and such that you might have to search through. :D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Shamus9 like this.
  11. Shamus9 Active Member

Thank you Morg! :) If my very busy day ever slows down, I will be logging in to try this. It is just amazing how much there is to learn about this game as a new player. You are all so helpful!
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, much more convenient, in many ways; not everyone has their home open for viewing, unless they're published or the owner's got something in the Sales Crates. I just wish we had a good Search function for the Leaderboards (either by title, owner, or decorator)... ;->

Speaking of decorating, has anyone ever used their expertise in this (EQ2) setting as examples of what they can do for graphic design? Or would it be bad form to have someone else's intellectual property as part of one's professional portfolio? I know Rawl and Estred could show off their chops that way, with the Player Studio stuff, but... /shrug

Uwk
  13. Athenia Well-Known Member

I forgot about this one! Super simple to keep down on the item count but it works in the room it's in.

[IMG]

I hadn't thought of doing that. I'm not sure though how I'd fully illustrate just how creative you have to get with the items to get them to look the way they are. Perhaps show a blank room or show the items by themselves and then show the area with everything completed? I'd be more likely to show other things before I would show any EQ2 designs as I'm not even sure if it'd be bad form or not myself. :x
    Cyliena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Point; usually folks would probably want to see just your stuff from the ground up, if such HR folks are anything like for drafters. Still, there are quite a few architectural programs out there that are using more and more 3D "blocks," or ready-made pieces of furniture, landscaping elements, etc., and I wouldn't be surprised if there were interior decorating programs like that, too...might be interesting as an example of how well we could do with such elements. :)

Uwk
  15. TenEj Member

Here's one I did for our guildhall.

[IMG]
    Geden, Spindle, Cyliena and 2 others like this.
  16. Shalaia Active Member

I think you can at least search by title can't you?

I have yet to think out of the box for fireplaces, but look forward to expanding my horizons with these great examples.

I am loving the new built in house editing features---I was way too intimated by the program that everyone uses, so this simplified version is just fine for me--lol.... although I have often wondered how some folks get items so large in their homes--as I have personally tried to reach those heights on some similar items--I may have to try to learn how to at least do that now that I know that's how it is accomplished.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

There's an easier (sorta) way to do the editing; just open the layout file in Notepad or Wordpad and play with the numbers directly. It looks scary until you know what the numbers are and what they do, and Mistal did a wonderful job of breaking it down back in 2009, so much so that I've used it ever since to good results, and updated her entry to these new forums. Let me see if I can find the (shameless plug!) link... ;->

Ah, here we go... Mistal's Guide!

Try it out, Shalaia, and let us know what you think! :)

Uwk
    Shalaia likes this.
  18. Shalaia Active Member

Thanks Uwk! I'm bookmarking it to play with this weekend. I let my brain take the nights off during my work week;-)
  19. Lowretta Active Member

Well, this is not only my first posting of a decorated item, it's actually my first forum post. Kinda scary when you know I've been playing pretty much since EQ2 was released - I'm just a born lurker I guess! :) So, that said, here we go!

I needed something in my Freeblood home with a larger scale than the in-game hearths. I made this using a plain blue column from SC, and Grobb stone furniture items.
    [IMG][IMG]

And I needed something with a shallower profile than the hearths for my Monk's Kelethin home. This uses the ancient bar shelf and a few bits from SC.
    [IMG]

I'm very pleased with how they both came out! This thread was a great help in getting the ideas going - the creativity of people in this game never ceases to amaze!
  20. Edelphia Well-Known Member

This is my first attempt to upload photos, so bear with me if I don't get it right LOL

This is the fireplace in Darkzypher's Penthouse by Kiskilla, Oasis server. (she has since switched servers)
    [IMG]
    This one I built in my guild hall office. Phoenix Rising, New Halas, Oasis server
    [IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Sorry, Guess I didn't get it right :p
    The url for the first one is http://www.flickr.com/photos/96829312@N04/8918071228/
    and the second one is http://www.flickr.com/photos/96829312@N04/8917507051/

Eventually I'll figure out how to do this and I'll post a bunch more stuff :)