Experimenting needs to be addressed.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Schlumpo, Jul 28, 2014.

1. suka Well-Known Member

so in other words, you would expect someone to take out of their profits for a failure - yeah they are going to charge high for that. again- no insurance so that means out of their pocket.
  2. suka Well-Known Member

that is good for you- and i wish you well. but you were talking about not finding anyone willing to take the risk and guarantee it. most people will not take the risk with their own profits. i wouldn't. but then, i don't make it a business. still, i wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

also, the end product can be tradeable without the components being tradeable. there are plenty of items in the game where the components are no trade but you can trade the finished product.
  3. Arieste Well-Known Member

Right, you charge extra for assuming the risk. As a customer, that was what i was looking for, I'd rather pay 500p and be 100% sure i get item, than pay 50p and know there is a chance of losing 3000p worth of components. Now that i am a crafter myself, i think it makes sense from a crafting perspective as well - if someone wants to pay extra and have peace of mind, I'm happy to provide that. win-win situation for all involved.

I don't remember any of the major experiementing items being this way, but won't argue with you as i've only been a crafter a short time and haven't worked with every possible thing.
    suka likes this.
  4. suka Well-Known Member

it's been quite awhile since i did them, but i remember some quest items that the components were no trade. the finished items were nice for a low level toon and could be experimented on. I am sure there are others that are for higher toons. I don't remember them right off.
  5. Atan Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing about the RNG that causes you to fail this combine. Its just patience and understanding how to manage power.

If you have mastered the system there is practically no risk with exception to elements that are outside of the system.
  6. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

That's bull Atan.

I have gotten -25% durability with no misses and all green , the RNG is very much a part of this.
  7. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Of course you can take occasional random durability hits. But you have the tools and the time (lord knows you have a lot of time) to recover from them.

The only way for the RNG to truly take you out, is if you get 4 of them in back to back rounds. The odds of that happening are astronomical. You can't rule it out, so I'd never say 100% success rate, but I'd easily claim 99%....

The only real problem is external influences. Connection quality, Cats, etc....
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

[quote="Ynnek, post: 6091547, member: 1540"

The only real problem is external influences. Connection quality, Cats, etc....[/quote]

This made me laugh. My cats have indeed (as well as kids) have been heavy contributors to my experimenting failures.
  9. Arieste Well-Known Member

To say that there are no RNG elements at all is a bit harsh. You get some terrible streaks where it gets very hard to react fast enough to BOTH get in counters as well as your buffs in each round. And you do get random critical failures that CAN stack up. As you said though, it's recoverable, but some very bad luck can occasionally happen, but most times (as you said) will not result in a failure if you're careful.
    suka likes this.
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

I have gotten 2 critical failures in a row on the 4th combine and managed to recover enough durability to complete the item. That said, if that had happened on the 5th combine I don't think I could of recovered enough durability. RNG is a factor and a bad streak could kill any item. That is true even in vanilla crafting but considering how anemic the durability builders are in experimentation recovering durability is an iffy proposition.

Which is why you try to build durability constantly. Starting early and not rushing the combine is a key to success. Then again to a veteran experimenter this is stating the obvious.

The fact that the RNG has a larger effect on experimentation than crafting is part of the design. This and the smaller bonuses from counters is what makes this a challenge. Neither should be changed because the people who understand this get over a 90% success rate. Heck, its nearly 100% but its never guaranteed.

As for power, I've found that is only an issue if you don't recover fully between combines.
    suka likes this.
  11. Atan Well-Known Member

There have been many times I've had 2 critical failures on the 5th combine, I'm just far enough ahead that I'm ready for it.
  12. Axterix Active Member

And fully recovering is easy to do when you can get 10% of your power every 3 seconds with the dragon AA. Of course, if you're a healer...
  13. suka Well-Known Member

healing wouldn't help at all since you can't cast while crafting. just like you can't take a potion while crafting. the only thing you can rely on while crafting are any buffs you might already have up- or an aa.
  14. Axterix Active Member

And it is an AA I'm talking about. 1% of health/power per tick while out of combat, with a tick every 3 seconds, with 10 ranks possible. So 10% if you maxed it out. Set up an AA profile if power is a problem and odds are the problem is solved. With one exception: healers. They get Mental Strength, which stops them from getting interrupted, instead. So healers are more vulnerable to power issues while crafting than scouts, fighters, or mages.

What comes after the ellipsis is "you don't get that easy solution."
    suka likes this.
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

I didn't go down that AA line but...shouldn't it work during crafting? All other out of combat power effects work. Drink gives its bonus every tick. Other class abilities work during crafting. This AA logically should work during crafting.

Not saying it does. Just every other example does so why not?
  16. Hammdaddy Active Member

I mean i experimented for the first time on deathtoll gear and i just spammed durability/success chance abilities and i made it through every combine above 75% durability. Also inb4 the new tradeskill thing next xpac is EVERY piece of gear is going to be experimentable and there is a new tradeskill questline that makes experimenting even easier cause it gives +10% success chance on lets say a pair of pants or bewts.
  17. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Nothing like this is going to happen to experimentation. Even 10% to success would probably trivialize the whole process and make it just another boring combine for everyone. If they ever add anything, it might be a chance not to lose the item you're working on.
  18. Akina_Storms Active Member

Sorry, it does not help.
    I've done what you explain, and others lucky craftmen, for weeks, and I still have very bad RNG, so i'm around 1% success, if not less, on more than the second grade.
    I also consider an extremely lucky me if i succeed on the second grade
  19. suka Well-Known Member

if you go to cobalt scar and do the quests there to get the hand of the maker, you will get an increase in your experimentation progress by 1%. i think that is the best we are going to get. i may be wrong, they may give something more, but so far that is all we got and it wasn't this expansion but the last.
  20. Axterix Active Member

It does work during crafting. Hence why everyone other than healers has an easy solution to power woes while crafting.