Experimenting needs to be addressed.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Schlumpo, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Kander Developer

Just going to chime in here. We do not have any plans on changing experimentation. We do however have plans to make it more prevalent and more rewarding with the expansion this year.
    Cisteros, Sambril, Naudi and 3 others like this.
  2. Arieste Well-Known Member

+1. Awesome. One thing to keep in mind though... having to have everyone experiment for themselves (like DT) is a highly bad idea, the whole point of being a good crafter is being able to do crafting for other people. if you can only experiment your own stuff, it kinda defeats the idea. (not to mention makes it impossible to make any money off it).
    suka and Shmogre like this.
  3. Feara Well-Known Member

Sweet, Nice, Awesome and just plain :cool:.
  4. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The plethora of crafters that are out there now kinda defeat the purpose of being a good crafter. :p Anything people can work on themselves is just a little bonus for having played the full game. That's all stuff like DT gear is meant to be.
    suka likes this.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I've not delved into this facet of crafting yet, been too busy exploring Notrath and getting to 95/95 via the time honored route of "oh look that npc has a feather over her head lets go check that out!"...

But it would seem its time for me to start learning about experimenting. Wish me luck!
    Mikai, suka and Xillean like this.
  6. Arieste Well-Known Member

I don't consider this true at all. The reason i even became a crafter and experimenter myself, was because i was tired of offering people like 500p to do experimentation for me and still failing to find takers. At this point experimentation is pretty much the ONLY thing that a crafter can distinguish themselves in and make money on.
    suka likes this.
  7. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take 500p for an experiment because it's too likely that it will fail and poof all your components. Some of which I could not replace for any amount due to them being raid items or what not.

If they would remove the destruction of the components, and just make us try again and again to get it. You find many people willing to commission it for far less. Without destruction of components the level of difficulty is fine, but destroying irreplaceable items makes experimentation a worthless skill. The things you can make with refined ore even are pretty worthless overall, but the components can be replaced.
    suka likes this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

you lost me. what fancy craft table sets? is this a recipe i missed?

i tried to search eq2u using your words, but nothing:
    Item Search Results
    Showing 0 items (Sorted by Item Name) which match the requested search criteria.
    You searched for items that match these criteria:
    Name: fancy craft table
    NOTE: These results only include items which match your Item Filters.
    so how about a name of that set. I really like knowing about every recipe there is.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

i like that idea. there are plenty of times i start an experiment and something happens that needs my immediate attention- like a puppy grabbing something he shouldn't be eating. you never know what can happen in a short amount of time so having a pause button would help tremendously. after all, real life must come first - the repercussions there can be much worse than a lost combine.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

awesome advice. thanks much
  11. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It's an achievement reward. Crafting 75k pristine combines gives you the set of tables that was recently added to guild hall amenities.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

wow- i didn't know about that achievement. thanks. I just hit 9k. have a long way to go
  13. Arieste Well-Known Member

Not with a warranty on the parts. Which is what i wanted when i was looking for an experimenter Any idjet can charge you less to destroy your 3000p worth of components and say "oops", heck, i can do THAT for free. Now ask people how much they want to guarantee the components in case of fail and the price goes up.
  14. Atan Well-Known Member

Truth.

For people in guild I charge 100p for an item. I don't normally ever charge guildies for anything, but this is such a time commitment I have to do something reasonable.

For people out of guild, I charge 300p for an item.

If you want a 100% reimbursement guaranty, I charge 20% of the cost of components. However when I explain my sucess/failure rate, I've never had anyone opt for that option. But failure is always a possibility as there are many components outside of the crafter's control: Power Outage, Internet connection failure, server crash, etc. When you ask me to guaranty against things outside of my control, I have to charge significantly.
    suka likes this.
  15. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Of course there are items that very few people such as yourself could even begin to guaranty. Items acquired during raiding, for instance, that gives you a huge advantage.
    suka likes this.
  16. Axterix Active Member

It is good to hear that you guys are looking into ways to improve the currently horrid PITA vs Reward aspect of experimenting. But you do need to find a way to make it less tedious as well. It isn't hard as it is, as even the people who like it admit. It just requires paying attention for a long period of time.

Fixing the tedious nature will be doubly important if you want to make it more prevalent. There's plenty of people out there that can easily experiment on stuff currently. They just don't want to because it is not fun. That's why people cannot easily find people willing to experiment on their stuff. Making it more rewarding won't change that. All you'll accomplish is making people feel like they have to do something non-fun, and that in turn will make them more likely to burn out on the game.
    suka likes this.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

considering that experimenting is not a guaranteed deal and even the best experimenter can have a bad day, i would say you are expecting a bit much. I don't see anyone willing to guarantee the components for any small amount. even in the real world, where people guarantee their work all the time, if you asked them to do something with a rng for failure, you would be laughed at.

no matter how many times people say they don't fail at experimenting, there is always that small chance that they will. so to expect anyone to guarantee components for even a small chance at failure would be like asking them to make sure and create a miracle while they are at it. it is that chance at complete failure that prompts many people to ask that the components at the very least be returned in case we fail the combine.
  18. Arieste Well-Known Member

By definition, anything you can be asked to experiment on is tradeable (you can't experiment by comission). And anything that's tradeable can be purchased with plat without having to raid for it. Having enough of a supply of plat to be able to reimburse components is part of being in the business.

Take the example i previously gave of paying 500p for experimentation on an item with 3000p worth of components. (This is actually a 100% real exapmle, that i was part of during the skyshrine era - it was the crafted bow). If you're a good experimenter, you have close to 100% success rate. Let's say 99%. So you fail one in 100 items. That's REALISTIC, but let's make it so that you're not THAT good, maybe you have bad habits. So maybe you fail one in 20 items. So.. if you make 19 items @ 500p, you've just made 9500p. More than enough to cover your 3000p failure on the 20th item.
  19. Arieste Well-Known Member

We posted same time. See my reply in prev post, which applies to your post as well.

Just because you aren't willing to provide this service, doesn't mean others aren't. I did find someone that was willing back then and today, I am willing to provide that service myself. (Although with not much to exp on, i haven't really bothered advertising it.)

If we get the same amount of recipes and items in next expac as we did in Skyshrine (with same costs/rarity), i expect to make a BOATLOAD of money by doing "guaranteed" experimentation.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

of course, in real life, the scenario runs like this:

say you have a big tree in your yard right near your house and it needs to come down. The arborist comes over to give an estimate. he tells you the tree is rotten and can't be climbed so he needs a cherry picker to take it out. he gives a high bid. not satisfied, you call another one. he tells you the same thing, but assures you that his success rate is that he almost never drops a tree on the house. so you call for another bid. this one looks at it, scratches his head, and in a kind of a drawl tells you "well, if my man can climb it with his spikes in that very soft, kind of rotten wood and it doesn't fall down, we can do this for $1500. or we can get a cherry picker out here for $3500. or we can simply attach ropes to it, hitch those ropes to a truck and add a guide rope and maybe it won't hit your house when we cut it at the base. that one is real cheap. I say about $600. you do your own clean-up though."

ok, how much confidence did he inspire and who is going to cut your tree down? so you ask each guy - "do you guarantee your work and will you pay for my house if you hit it?"

the first two tell you "sure" because they have insurance and the cost of their deductible should anything go wrong is well covered by the amount of their bid. the third one hedges - why? because he doesn't have insurance and so no deductible was covered in his bid.

In the game, we don't have insurance. there are some who just charge you a deductible, but there are others who, realizing something can go wrong, want enough money to go get more components for you if they lose them. Or they will be needing to pay someone to help get them if they are raid components.