EverQuest II Voice Chat!

Discussion in 'Developer Roundtable' started by ARCHIVED-Autenil, Jun 19, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Dread Quixadhal wrote:
    Voice Detect won't be implimented at launch only PTT will be. They may at some point add Voice Detect but not at launch.
  2. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

I stated this in my guild's forums, but I'll state it hear as another viewpoint to offer in this discussion.
    I use Vent when others around me use it, but it's very difficult for me. Often people don't understand this or understand why, and I generally don't bother to try to explain how hard it is for me. (It's too frustrating to try to explain.)

I am not an overly huge fan of voice chat. I'm hearing impaired, and voice chat really seems to bring out this handicap and magnify it tenfold. Often, when people talk on Vent, I'm guessing at more than half of what they say because I can't read their lips. Most of the time, I manage to guess correctly by using context clues from what parts of the conversation I did manage to make out. Sometimes, I guess wrong or just can't guess at all, which leads to me asking my groupmates to repeat themselves... a lot. This frustrates them as much as it frustrates me, and if there is any sort of background noise whatsoever, or multiple people speaking at once, forget it. It's a lost cause for me.

I will see how things go with in-game voice chat, but if people rely too heavily upon it, I may wind up leaving the game or searching for groups that don't use voice chat at all rather than subject myself to the frustration of trying to overcome a handicap that I just can't change no matter what I do.
  3. ARCHIVED-Mojynx Guest

For anyone who has tested the VC functionality ... can you split your audio stream?
    For example, can you have voice chat audio go to the sound card with head phones and the rest of the sound go to the sound card connected to speakers?
    If not, can you now dynamically switch audio device being used within the game (currently you have to exit to desktop and change the default device)
  4. ARCHIVED-Mr. Dawkins Guest

Are you able to set up chat binds? In our raids the healers have their own bind so they can yell at eachother without disturbing the raid all while being in the same chat channel.
  5. ARCHIVED-Mystykaa79 Guest

How do you get to the mod settings? Are they working yet?
  6. ARCHIVED-SeriannaRangewalker Guest

No idea on how widespread this is, but on crushbone we just lost all avaiability of the Vchat server. No one can log into any channels.
    Ziu~
  7. ARCHIVED-Drumstix Guest

Same on blackburrow.
  8. ARCHIVED-RhunMcBuggy Guest

Same issue on Najena, and still no fix, or acknolwedgement that it's not working properly. Devs must be too busy chatting, or something.
  9. ARCHIVED-Autenil Guest

RhunMcBuggy wrote:
    Try camping out and logging back in. It should be fixed now.
  10. ARCHIVED-RhunMcBuggy Guest

Autenil wrote:
    Yes it's working now, thanks.
  11. ARCHIVED-Maveric_LOL Guest

i have 2 guildies on permafrost that when added to raid are unable to access the raid channel......they have tried camping out, turning off and on the voice chat etc.....help.
  12. ARCHIVED-Mojynx Guest

Mojynx wrote:
    Sorry for replying to myself, but just in case anyone is interested, this functionality is present. Most excellent of you to include, thanks!!
  13. ARCHIVED-Henge42 Guest

Mojynx wrote:
    This doesn't work for me. I have a seperate USB headset and although I can set the voice chat too use the mic I can't select the headset as the voice playback it doesn't even show in the playback drop box.
  14. ARCHIVED-FatKat Guest

Errolflynn@Befallen wrote:
    Exact same issue here for me as well. I use a USB headset, my headset from my 360 to be exact, and I'm unable to output voice to the headset. It only gives me two output options which both go to my speakers: 'Speakers (SB XFi Soundcard)' and the other 'Generic Hardware on Speakers'.

For me this is a fairly big setback since I find it alot harder to try and listen to others out of my speakers where my game sound comes out from. It's much easier to make out what people are saying if I can hear them out of the headset.
  15. ARCHIVED-Loendar Guest

FatKat wrote:
    Ditto - I'm using a Logitech USB headset, which I currently have on a different PC and use with Vent. When I moved it to test with EQ2 it immediately saw the mic option for recording in-game but no option for outputing to it. I can't use the speakers for voice chat as my children are still relatively young and shouldn't hear some of the 'things' said via voice chat. That - and I want the speakers for game sounds and headset for voice chat (it's why I bought a headset) :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Daikairn Guest

Ok heres a question i havn't seen asked yet...

Is it possible to add a player who isnt in the guild to the guild voice chat permanently so that when he/she logs out and back in he/she will automatically have the option of rejoining the guild voice rather than having to be reinvited each time?

If not could this be added as a feature, something like /voice perminvite name?

We have a few people who spend alot of time in our guilds voice comms program who are not actual guild members and this would mean we could move from our current voice comms to the new in game program.
  17. ARCHIVED-Dread Quixadhal Guest

Is there any chance of having some control over the outgoing bandwidth settings?

Some folks are limited to pretty low upstream bandwidth by their ISP (256K isn't uncommon), and being able to choose the codec used (or the bandwidth allowed) would probably help their voices come through with less stuttering (albeit a little fuzzier).

A lower speed codec would also help people who are CPU bound with the same problem, as it wouldn't have to try and sample so often.

I think most of us would be fine with settings to hand-poke into the XML file, or into eq2.ini if you guys don't want to spend time on adding Even More Buttons to the control panel. :)
  18. ARCHIVED-Autenil Guest

Daikairn wrote:
    This is something that also came up internally and something that I'd really like to do.

We'll look into it.
  19. ARCHIVED-USAFJeeper Guest

Loendar wrote:
    Ditto the Dittos, I have a Rocketfish headset and have the exact same issue!
  20. ARCHIVED-Dread Quixadhal Guest

Just to put a positive data point in here, I have a Logitech USB headset that DOES work. The old Logitech USB 200, which I believe is discontinued now.