EverQuest II is Going 64-Bit!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, May 31, 2022.

1. Accendo Guest

After so much anticipation, EQII is finally making the move over to 64-bit technology.

On June 28, 2022, EverQuest II will be launching 64-bit servers and clients for all users. Back in March of this year, we gave the call to help us test everything on the Test server and you did a great job! Thank you for helping us get to this point. If you'd like to read the whole initial announcement, click here.

For now, though, let's go over some important updates to our minimum and recommended system specifications that will be in place with the launch:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400/AMD Athlon x2 4050e
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Graphics:  Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT or higher (comparison chart)
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 5 GB of free hard drive space

OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850/AMD Phenom II x2
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 730/AMD Radeon HD 7670 or higher (comparison chart)
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 30 GB of free hard drive space
    You can determine if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows on Microsoft's Support Site.

As we've said before, we here at Darkpaw Games are committed to improving the stability and experience of your favorite games. This conversion to 64-bit servers and clients is one of the ways we hope to reduce latency and other issues, but we're not stopping here. More big projects are on the way, and we hope to be able to share some of them with you in the future.

Thank you for being part of our community and for being so passionate about EverQuest II!

Be sure to follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

2. Tim Warbout New Member

3. Puakk New Member

That is great and all, and trust me I am excited, but just like EQ with nothing to show so far, what is the timeline of actually implementing 64bit processes into the actual game rather than just a 64bit architecture?
    Riverbear likes this.
  4. Bludd Well-Known Member

i dont know what this means? do you mean upgrading the renderer to use a higher version of direct3d?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Aenvar Member

No words can express how grateful I am to see this game still being supported - be it patches, expansions, or technical upgrades like this one. Thank you to all the devs working on it and of course all the players keeping it alive as well.
  6. Puakk New Member

I am sorry for the vagueness. They said in EQ that they have big projects planned that will need the 64bit architecture which was upgraded in February but there hasn't been any updates on any projects or any kind of timeline for said 64bit projects. Wondering if they have any kind of timeline one when we can expect to see said projects with the 64bit architecture. That's all =)
    Ayodi, Riverbear, shava23 and 3 others like this.
  7. Bludd Well-Known Member

from what i gather the switch to 64bit architecture is about eliminating bugs from out of memory situations and cleaning up dependencies on old libraries etc

itd be cool if they updated the renderer to fix certain annoying issues as flickering with shadows and reflections

but with 64bit they will be able to push more details in the content just because the memory isnt limited to 3.5 gb
  8. Ashmaker New Member

Hope this leads to improved graphics. The game is honestly quite fun and has a lot of content.
  9. Smashey Well-Known Member

The only thing this will do is allow the game to allocate more memory and thus should improve loading times, at least in theory, and reduce the amount of client crashes. There will be zero, as in absolutely zero improvement to graphical fidelity just because they swap to a 64 bit server/client architecture. Its still the same engine, the same shaders, the same directx 9 version.

Thats all.
    Riverbear and shava23 like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Awesome. What, if anything, will I have to save/watch out for/worry about going away forever/etc.? Right now, yes, I have a Win7 64-bit, 32-bit compatible system, but my EQ2 files may very well be under my 32-bit directories; I know one of my Layout Editors is (not sure if it's JesDyr's or Sennen's, but I'd hate to have to do without either one of them, simply because the latest/greatest version refuses to deign to work together with them :-/).

So! In anticipation, what should I save to a separate directory until the kerfuffle blows over? :)

Uwk
    Riverbear, Aterskia and Breanna like this.
  11. Ashmaker New Member

Yea understand, I meant I hope that the switch in architecture could lead to improved graphics quality down the line with other improvements.
  12. Aterskia Active Member

Kitty!
    furst, pwease NO eats me!
    be's uh nic Kitty ;)

oh-nee ting be change, is WAY EQ uses memory on yu's Clockwerk device.
    no be changes to "text" file fur Layouts. dem is still "text" files, dat e-ben Notepad kin read :D
    an since win7 be knos how run bof Layout Editors now, will continues to do so's, since dey reads layout "text" files.
    no need to worries.
  13. Colinoc New Member

Hopefully next on the list will be support for dialog box and font scaling on 4K monitors.
  14. Buggabug Active Member

Technical blah blah blah that I will never understand, I'm sure it's going to be great. My only question is what kind of downtime are we looking at because I have no life outside this game and need to plan ahead. :p
    I love you all, really I do. :D
    Morukta, Aterskia, Riverbear and 3 others like this.
  15. Euredia Member

This is great to see, first the road map with all of the expected updates/releases/enhancements and then following that map to the letter. Huge Kudos!!!
  16. Beee Well-Known Member

BTW: I do not think EQ2 will install on a harddisk with 5 GB free space
  17. Kaegrim New Member

Im very much looking forward to what this could mean. I do not know what possibilitys this will bring, but dare we hope for texture updates? If anyone has a bit more technical understanding about these kind of things, please share.
  18. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My best computer is Win 10, 8 gigs of max ram, 3.6 GHz CPU, and a GeForce GT710 video card. So less than optimal. This could be it for me playing EQ II.
  19. Beee Well-Known Member

As long as your system is runnung at 64 bit (wat's very probably) you will not habe any problem
  20. Taled Well-Known Member

No; but with the streaming client (imagine a vomiting emoji here) you don't need nearly as much hard disk space, so 5GB is likely the buffer they give for that. 30GB is the space for the full client install, which is also giving some buffer since the full install is more like 25GB realistically.

You don't need the optimal, Gero - that *should* be what their internal testing shows is the minimum to run at full graphics at <X> (probably 60) FPS without issues. You may have to turn off, like.. shadows, and turn down some other things, to run full bore, but - honestly - as 'pretty' as some of that can be, outside of taking screenshots to go 'oooohhhh, ahhhhhhhh', a lot of the graphic stuff tends to be screen clutter imo anyway.

(Sorry, artists. lol)