EverQuest II is Going 64-Bit!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, May 31, 2022.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

They're thinking like 6, 8, however many hours... X-P

We'll see. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna and PsiberDaemon like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sigh...but yeah, I agree there; my ol' bugger handling it at all was my biggest concern too. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  3. PsiberDaemon Active Member

That sounds about right... I usually regard Tuesdays as my "day off" from EQ2 anyways. More chores to get done so I can goof off the rest of the week! :D
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Angeliana our new dev said the downtime will only be 2 hours, so I am wondering if there are any problems.
    I also have not seen any update notes yet.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Woo-hoo! :D That'd be cool; I don't remember a lot of squawking on Test about overly long downtime, but then again, we don't tend to squawk much there. ;)

Uwk
    who also hasn't seen any update notes, either :-/
    Breanna, Geroblue and Jesaine like this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I do remember some talk about the downtime being long.
    We are more civilized about such things, complaining is not changing how long it takes to improve the game.
  7. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Well, the server down time notice says 4 hours predicted. We'll see. :)

It'll be worth it regardless. It'll improve performance and no doubt make future upgrades and repairs easier. :D For the life of me though, I'm STILL trying to figure out where this upgrade came from when the loudest voices here keep insisting the poor devs do nothing at all for us. :p
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I wished they fix the avatars on Tarinax.
  9. Sharann Well-Known Member

I also suffer from shadow flickering; tried all settings without success. My understanding is that this is linked to post-processing and transparency with Nvidia. Upgrading to 64 bits won't fix this at all.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

ok so we will get 64 bits today, it's in the Update Notes.

hello there "Angeliana" :).
  11. Bludd Well-Known Member

no but the hope is that going 64 bit will make it easier to upgrade the renderer in the future
  12. Duffy Active Member

Forgive the super super dumb question, but will we need to deinstall and install new? Or fire the old launch pad up and this will magically fix everything to 64bit?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  13. Smashey Well-Known Member

You just update the game as per usual.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems to work fine on Public Test server. :)

Uwk
    /relieved
  15. Duffy Active Member

Thank you :)
  16. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm hoping too. Not expecting anything otherworldly short term, but a few QoL fixes would be great. Long term is something else though, this is where I hope to see more advancements, building bigger and better worlds -> https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...eq2-building-bigger-and-better-worlds.605571/

Please upvote these two:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ter-and-shadows-on-64b-can-it-be-done.604142/

and

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/shadow-and-water-refraction-glitches.600513/

The more ppl that upvote = the more likely that someone will finally fix it after all these years.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Sharann like this.
  17. Orionza Active Member

The 64-bit upgrade is coming today? I didn't know! If they need to be down half the day to fix the crashing every time I zone into practically anything, that would be just fine. People said that this would fix it. I've been looking forward to it. I can't play an entire day without crashing at least 5-6 times. PLEASE let this fix it!
  18. Turnery New Member

I have the ASUS rog Strix advantage gaming edition laptop. Latest Ryzen 9 CPU, Latest 6800M Graphics card 12GB video memory,

The integrated graphics is so powerful that I only use that and hardly any heat to be noticed and fans run quiet.
    On integrated I can get up to 182 fps but I have it locked at 63 fps.

The dedicated will run 280 Fps but then a little heat and somewhat loud fans.

It will be interesting to see what a 64 bit EQ2 client will run.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

The flickering I see is sometimes around the exit door of the bank/broker room, also a collector in there, towards the fountain in Qeynos.

Depends on if I'm in front of the broker or not. If my character is behind the broker, no flickering.
  20. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... I was really hoping for some level of graphics upgrade, BUT the game performance is definitely better. I can spin in a circle at lightning speed and not have the game choke trying to render that. :D

So far so good, and here's hoping it leads to even better things. :)