EQII client hangs when trying to log character in.

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Sungi, May 15, 2013.

1. Sungi Member

Just these traces seem to blow the common switch problem hypothesis.
    I have to go back to the drawing board. It still would not hurt to complain to Verizon, their network staff has much better tools and knowledge of their network I would. I just can't get around why only certain ports are having a problem and only for east coast Verizon users.
  2. Oromasis New Member

I've had the same issue since right after Tuesday's patch. Sometimes my characters work and sometimes they don't but at this point, most of the time they have not worked. I have one in GFay and I've been able to play him just fine so far but I'm not going to take a chance and try to zone :p Besides him, all my characters get stuck at either "Receiving zone info" or "Waiting for entities". I play on the Oasis server.

I created a ticket a few days ago and eventually got the same reply as Mizgamer62...SoE believes it's on their end and is looking into it. I am in NJ near Philly, using Verizon FIOS.

Sungi, thanks for the idea of the trace!
    And thanks to all at SoE who are working on fixing this!

Here is my trace:

Tracing route to lp.soe.com [64.37.171.24]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 11 ms 6 ms 9 ms L100.CMDNNJ-VFTTP-27.verizon-gni.net [98.110.113.1]
    3 9 ms 9 ms 13 ms G0-3-3-7.CMDNNJ-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.183.184]
    4 11 ms 12 ms 11 ms so-0-3-0-0.NWRK-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.22.0]
    5 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 0.ge-0-2-0.XL3.EWR6.ALTER.NET [152.63.5.189]
    6 109 ms 91 ms 99 ms 0.xe-11-1-0.XL3.VEG2.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.234]
    7 96 ms 92 ms 94 ms GigabitEthernet6-0-0.GW3.VEG2.ALTER.NET [152.63.113.13]
    8 93 ms 96 ms 94 ms switchcomm-gw.customer.alter.net [208.222.10.174]
    9 99 ms 99 ms 99 ms te0-1-0-0.las-core7-2.switchnap.com [66.209.64.133]
    10 93 ms 91 ms 91 ms te3-5.las-core2-1.switchnap.com [66.209.64.42]
    11 90 ms 90 ms 89 ms po10.las-agg7s1-1.switchnap.com [66.209.64.34]
    12 87 ms 86 ms 89 ms demarc1.soe.switchnap.com [216.115.64.74]
    13 95 ms 98 ms 96 ms lp.soe.com [64.37.171.24]
    Trace complete.
  3. Sungi Member

Ok, here is my latest crackpot hypothesis.
    Verizon has made / is making a hardware or software change to their Mid Atlantic network that started after Tuesday Midnight. Some of us played EQII flawlessly right after the patch for the remainder of Tuesday, but had problems starting to play on Wednesday. So a common switch that is going bad at Verizon would not be the culprit, but several or all of them.
    It just was coincidental maybe that EQII patched just before Verizon started their maintenance / changes?
    Getting Verizon to disclose specific network upgrade / maintenance information to a normal customer would probably be impossible, so we will need SOE network staff to work with Verizon to fix this. The only thing we can do if this is the case is complain to both companies and hope they will work together to fix the problem.
  4. Kimogila New Member

Hey Sungi,

Nice hypothesis... I'm actually close to Philly too, like Oromasis.
  5. Stratavari New Member

The only issue with Sungi's theory is that if it was a Verizon switch (or series of switches) then it would affect all traffic going through them. From what I've bene able to tell, this ONLY affects SOE. WOW, Rift, Neverwinter Guild Wars, hell even Runescape don't seem to be involved in any way. I'll maintain that this is likely an SOE issue. Just wish someone there would give an update. Would be interested to know if it affects F2P, or any other SOE games.
  6. Myxx <Into Harms Way> Maj'Dul

I'm still not convinced that this is happening because of something Verizon did. If it was my ISP , I don't think I would be able to play any of my characters. Currently I am able to log in and run around on one in Thundering Steppes.

I've had Fios for months and raided Thursday night with no problem. Friday I logged in and was stuck at the Zoning screen. I immediately created a tech support ticket and talked live to SOE support via the live chat.
    They had me run ipconfig /all , tracert lp.soe.com and pathping lp.soe.com and upload the diagnostic info to them. After that I was told that the problem was on their end and they were working on a fix.
    I hope they get it working soon :(
  7. kilt New Member

I live on east coast and have Verizon also and am having same problem. Sony been trying to help me solve the issue with no luck. I decided this morning I would by-pass the laucher and see if I could get any of my toons to work I was able to get my one toon that I have tried so far to work and zoned him 3 times from guild hall and now I can use him in cobalt scar atm, Might want to give that a shot till a real fix is found. Please let post a reply if you tired this and it didn't work .
  8. Sungi Member

kilt is an inspired genius.

I also tried this, and was able to log in all 9 toons, and zone, etc. After checking all 9 toons, I quit the game and started it up using the launchpad, and was still able to log in in the previously bad zones.
    This is a working workaround for now I think, start the game by clicking the eq app in the game directory instead of the launchpad shortcut on the desktop.
    Either starting the game straight, bypassing launchpad, 'fixes /resets' something, or SOE or Verizon have fixed the problem and have not said anything yet.
  9. Oromasis New Member

I was able to play on all my characters for a couple of hours this afternoon but just now, things are back to not being able to log in. It's getting stuck on "Waiting for entities"...even on the character in GFay that had no issues before.

Also, not sure if this is related but I was on my Fury in the Great Divide and all of a sudden about 25% of my abilities on my hotbars would not show tooltips anymore. That's when I quit and couldn't get back in.
  10. Goodheart New Member

Disregard my post from last night since I am once again stuck. I live near Philadelphia as well and have Verizon FIOS. It started last night for me and continues today.
  11. Sungi Member

Ok, the zone hang bug is back.
    I had used kilt's workaround and was playing in gfay and crushbone, zoning back and forth several times. I was going to my house to drop off house placeable loot and hung trying to zone into my house.
    I tried to restart the game bypassing the launchpad, but the character still hangs trying to zone into the house from character select.
  12. Anjel Member

I am an East Coast Verizon Fios user also and by-passing the launcher has not worked for me at all. I was able to log in and play for a few hours earlier this am but lost connection upon completing HE ... and have not be able to connect on any toons since then.

This issue is not unique to EQ2. I also play DCUO and have been experiencing the same issue with that game for the same amount of time. I have worked with Verizon Fios support and SoE support for both games and still I am no closer to a solution. This is frustrating.
  13. Myxx <Into Harms Way> Maj'Dul

Bypassing the launcher didn't help for me. I was able to log in on Myxx but once I zoned to a different area I was stuck again.
    This is very frustrating, I've been beta testing another SOE game and I'm having problems there as well , but non-SOE game like Guild Wars2 or NVN2 play fine
  14. Jazzer New Member

I am having the same issue on Unrest server. My ISP is Comcast. I live in St. Paul, MN.

I was able to log two accounts 10 minutes ago. Tried to log a third account and EQ2 crashed. I tried all of this by executing the Launchpad three times and waited for the characters to get fully into the game.

Here is the error.
    Everquest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown
    <verify>
    G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp (6278):
    DirectX Error. (E_FAIL)
    00885750 003a0000
  15. danarion New Member

Jazzer,
    Our issues with the game play currently don't really involve the game crashing; it just hangs .. on the zoning screen or drops us to char select. Your crash reports seems to indicate a video issue. (Rendering and Dx9)

Update on my end... the game finally hung on me about 2 hrs ago.. after being online for over 24 hrs, only zoning to GH a few times. I'm currently unable to log in to any character. I tried Kilts idea to no avail. So, we are pretty much still at the mercy of SOE. Guess I will play when SOE allows me to play. hehe

Lets hope a fix is incoming, soon.
  16. Anjel Member

Another day wasted and Verizon Fios support is stating that it is not an issue on their end and has done more than enough to prove that to me. I wish the rest of you luck. I will be deleting all SoE games from my system. Looks like Blizzard just got a new customer.
  17. Nielic New Member

18. Nielic New Member

i did that bypass trick and then logged into my toons normally a couple times two hours. so far so good. will update again if starting getting stuck again.
  19. Oromasis New Member

Still not working for me, even when I run the game without the launcher. I got into one character first thing this morning with no problems but when I tried to camp to another, it got stuck on "Waiting for entities".

Could someone at SoE please give us an update?
    Thank You!
  20. Myxx <Into Harms Way> Maj'Dul

As they are on the west coast I'm betting it will probably be after 1pm our time before we hear anything.
    Fingers Crossed that they find the problem fast.

Would Delirium Tremors from Everquest withdrawal be called ET's? lol