EQII client hangs when trying to log character in.

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Sungi, May 15, 2013.

1. Sungi Member

Everything was fine yesterday, today I try to play and its all good until after I choose a character to play. It acts like it is loading the character for a bit, then freezes before the character gets into the world at the zoneing splash screen.
    The alertlog has:
    build="SOEBuild=9970L" version="SOEVersionString=2013/5/10 11:18:59" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="exp03_rgn_greater_faydark" loc="271.58 106.60 170.58" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(125): Resource leak! (ui/default/images/window_elements_specific.dds)"
    Anyone have any idea why it is doing this all of a sudden?
    Running on win 8, i7 3770k chip system.
  2. Auorali New Member

I'm having a similar problem. I use ProfitUI so I don't get the error message, but depending on which character I try to play, it either hangs at "connecting to zone" (the character in question is in Siren's Grotto Alluring Embrace Adv. Solo) or "loading entities" (all my other characters, all in old world zones)
  3. Nielic New Member

I'm having same problem. first noticed it about 5 hours ago. have two characters on freeport server. could log into one of them but not the other. everything was fine until tried to switch zones and now he is stuck also and cannot log onto him. have one character on butcherblock server and cannot log into him either. however have one last character on permafrost and have had no problems logging onto him at all. just get stuck on loading screens with the other 3 at either "connecting to zone" or "loading entities"
  4. Auorali New Member

24 hours later this is still happening.
  5. Sungi Member

I had hoped the game would work today after the maintenance downtime, but this was not the case.
    However.
    I could not log into the 3 characters I had tried yesterday, so I tried a fourth character. This character loaded up into North Qeynos (the other 3 characters are in Greater Faydark and New Halas) as normal with an under 30 second load time as per normal. I figured I would play it just to kill time. He zoned to Antonica easily, BUT, when he went to Qeynos Harbor there was a problem. He zoned in easy, but the zone is empty except a few npcs. The npcs, guards and the merc info guy outside the inn, do not interact when clicked on, and the travel bell and travel globe are not at the dock. I can not leave Qeynos Harbor, no bell, no globe, and none of the doors back to North Qeynos are clickable. It is like I am only in the client side version of the Harbor and ther is no interaction with server side assets.
  6. TSR-SeanF Member

It sounds like there may be some corrupted files located in your EverQuest 2 directory. You may want to make backups and then delete the following files and folders in your EverQuest 2 directory:

cache folder (does not apply to Steam users)
    eq2_recent.ini
    eq2_default.ini
    EverQuest2.exe
    eq2.ini

As well as the character specific files, these will appear as follows:
    <ServerName>_<CharacterName>_EQ2_uisettings.ini
    <StationName>_characters.ini

Next, delete the configuration files/folder by following these instructions:
    1. Open the EverQuest II LaunchPad. (Do not login at this time.)
    2. Click Advance Tools, Open Game Directory, then close the LaunchPad.
    3. Look for any files explained above and delete them.
    4. Close all open folders and restart EverQuest II using the LaunchPad to login and play.

If deleting these files does not resolve your issue, you can restore your backed up files and folders and retain your hotkeys, contact lists, and display settings.
  7. Sungi Member

-- Did all of this, still hangs at character zoning splash screen.

"If deleting these files does not resolve your issue, you can restore your backed up files and folders and retain your hotkeys, contact lists, and display settings."

-- I have not yet restored the files, I will do that after I get the game working, just in case they are playing some part in the problem. Hopefully they are safe where they are and I can restore all my hotbars and such later, redoing that for 9 characters will be annoying.

Any other suggestions for what could be causing the problem? It just befuddles me why it was working fine when I went to bed, and when I get up to play again, it doesn't.
  8. Nexusgrey Member

I am having the same issue on 2 of my accounts right now. I find it hard to believe that this is a file issue on our pc's
  9. Nielic New Member

i tried what was suggested, including deleting all the cache folders and no change except have to download most of the game again. though i can log onto my char on butcherblock. still unable to log onto the two that are on freeport. occasionally can log into one of them but like Sungi said seems to be only on client said as cant do anything except run around. cant even log out.
  10. Sungi Member

I submitted a ticket for this issue. After many copy pasted canned run around answers, they finally had a solution for the problem. Out of the 4 solutions, the answer was d).
    See below for the ticket thread, I hope it helps others find a solution to the problem if they are having it as well.
    By the way, notice how I am having a problem with EQII and the help answer link is for DCUO:
    Answer Title: [DCUO] Router and Firewall Support for DC Universe Online
    Answer Link: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25325

Subject
    EQII client hangs when trying to log character in.

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (TSR Charles I.) 05/16/2013 05:38 PM
    Greetings michaelcd,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. As I stated in my last response the router that you are using is known to cause connectivity issues. We have had other players using the model you have and other Verizon FIOS routers that experience similar connectivity issues as yourself. We are aware of the problem but for the time being the primary suggestion that we can make is that you should try to use another router. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know.

Answer Title: [DCUO] Router and Firewall Support for DC Universe Online
    Answer Link: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25325

Your reference number for this contact is: 130515-000732.

Regards,
    TSR Charles I.

Contact SOE Account, Billing, and Technical Support
    Phone, Chat, and Email: http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28939
    Customer By Web Form (michaelcd soe) 05/16/2013 03:13 PM
    Ok, I port forwarded eq2 and it still hangs, below are the settings from the port forwarding screen.

Networked Computer / Device:
    Michael-i73770K

Protocols:
    Everquest 2
    TCP Any -> 1024-9100
    UDP Any -> 1024-9100
    UDP Any -> 32800-33000

WAN Connection Type:
    All Broadband Devices

Active

If you are able to log into those zones with my characters, and I can't, it is really messed up.
    I was playing fine Tuesday, went to bed at midnightish EST and when I got up to play EQ2 it doesn't play correctly.
    I made no changes to anything on my computer or internet while I was asleep, I did nothing else on my computer between the time I logged off Tuesday night and then woke up and went to play again Wednesday.
    Why would this occur overnight while I was sleeping?
    Why would this occur after playing the game on this brand new (bought so I can play EQ2 in high resolution graphics) computer and router for about the last 3 months without a problem whatsoever?
    The only change was a patch on EQ2 tuesday, something your programmers did in that patch is causing this problem.

You should be be able to give me one of the following answers to this problem.

a) We know of this problems cause and are working to correct it and will have it fixed within ___ hours.

or

b) We know of this problems cause and are working to correct it but we don't have a time frame for the fix.

or

c) We don't know what is causing this problem but our programmers are working on it and will have it solved
    asap, please stay tuned for further updates.

or

d) We have no idea what the problem is and no intention to work on it, so bugger off.
    Response Via Email (TSR Charles I.) 05/16/2013 02:00 PM
    Greetings michaelcd,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. I am sorry that you feel that we are just making you do "busy" work. Connectivity problems are never as cut and dry as you may believe they are. I was able to log into each one of your characters successfully so the characters/account is not bugged and the server is working fine. We have to go through each of the possibilities until the issue is corrected. If you would like to continue troubleshooting then please use the website which will assist in opening the ports on your router which is likely interfering with the connection.http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI424-WR_Rev.D/Everquest_2.htm. Please keep in mind that Verizon FIOS routers are very problematic when playing MMOs and are notorious for not allowing connections to servers. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know.

Answer Title: [EQ2] Ports, Router and Firewall Information
    Answer Link: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12293

Your reference number for this contact is: 130515-000732.

Regards,
    TSR Charles I.

Phone, Chat, and Email: http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28939
    Customer By Web Form (michaelcd soe) 05/16/2013 12:50 PM
    Connection Information:

- Who is your ISP ?
    VERIZON

- Physical location (City, State, Country) ?
    PASADENA, MARYLAND, USA

- What is the make & model of your modem ?
    and router (if separate) ?
    ACTIONTEC MI424-WR Rev.D

- Type of connection (Wireless/Wired) ?
    WIRED J45 CABLE

- DSL, Cable or Fiber ?
    FIBER

- Download and upload speeds (ping, dl, ul; can check this by going to http://speedtest.net/ ) ?
    PING 48ms, DL 10.12Mpbs, UL 1.83 Mpbs

Get your act together and stop sending me busy work canned replies. This is NOT a problem with my computer or internet connection (0% packet loss and under 50 ms ping as per the netinfo.txt, did you even read it? it gives all the answers to the questions you just asked). The problem is with YOUR side, the client is bad or the servers running the game are bad. FIX your end, and stop sending me canned responses to run me around while you jerkoff. If you cant fix the problem within 24 hours and let me know, I will cancel my account and play one of the many excellent free to play games.
    Response Via Email (TSR Joseph B.) 05/16/2013 12:33 PM
    Greetings michaelcd,

Please go ahead and send us the following information so that we can look into your connection a little more.

Connection Information:
    - Who is your ISP ?
    - Physical location (City, State, Country) ?
    - What is the make & model of your modem ?
    and router (if separate) ?
    - Type of connection (Wireless/Wired) ?
    - DSL, Cable or Fiber ?
    - Download and upload speeds (ping, dl, ul; can check this by going to http://speedtest.net/ ) ?

Please keep the format above. This will enable us to process your request more efficiently. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    TSR Joseph B

Phone, Chat, and Email: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28939

11. Nielic New Member

ive had a ticket in too trying to resolve this with no luck so far. it seems like several of us all have the same problem and it all started around the same time. i would imagine their are a couple others too having same problem who havent said anything on forums. i can log into 2 toons but not the other two, who are both on freeport. whether that is connected or not i dont know.
  12. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I started having the same problem as the rest of you around the same time. I too have been stuck in the csr/tsr ticket loop. I have tried every thing and nothing they suggest works. I too have not changed anything on my end and can play other games just fine. Glad to know I am not alone in this. I was told this had to be a global problem before they would consider that it wasn't just on my end.
  13. Nielic New Member

well they just moved all 4 of my toons to antioch (forgive me if a little off new to game) near queynos. the two that are on freeport server i could log into but as soon as i ran into queynos they got stuck again. the ones on butcherblock and permafrost are still fine
  14. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

They moved all my toons to the Antonica dock also Nielic. I tried to call to the guild hall with one toon and got stuck zoning. I tried to use the globe to travel to Sinking Sands with another toon and got stuck zoning. When I get stuck zoning the screen usually is at "loading entities" and eventually that toon gets booted back to the character log in screen. Like every one else here I have done every suggestion they have given me and nothing helps. Its obvious this isn't on our side. I started having the problem the afternoon of May 15, 2013 and hadn't changed anything on my end. I can play other games with no problem. I hope they acknowledge this is a global issue and not just one or two people. I hope they fix this soon. I have been playing for 8 years and don't want to have to quit now.
  15. Nielic New Member

yeah i havent understood this either. we all seemed to have problem same time so it cant be just on our end. mine only gets booted back sometimes to log in screen, most of time i have to exit and relog in. i just started playing because got bored of warcraft and have really enjoyed it so far, till this at happened. and like i said i have two toons i can play fine with no problems but the other two i cannot. i would hope that would show them that it cant be on our end
  16. Sungi Member

What? It is TOO on our end, TSR Charles I. said so.

"Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. As I stated in my last response the router that you are using is known to cause connectivity issues. We have had other players using the model you have and other Verizon FIOS routers that experience similar connectivity issues as yourself. We are aware of the problem but for the time being the primary suggestion that we can make is that you should try to use another router. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know. "

Of the solutions for this problem,
    a) We know of this problems cause and are working to correct it and will have it fixed within ___ hours.

or

b) We know of this problems cause and are working to correct it but we don't have a time frame for the fix.

or

c) We don't know what is causing this problem but our programmers are working on it and will have it solved
    asap, please stay tuned for further updates.

or

d) We have no idea what the problem is and no intention to work on it, so bugger off.

They say it is d).
    So go out and buy a new $200 router/modem.
  17. Nielic New Member

huh problem is i use dsl and have a different type of router then you. and i can log into two toons but not the other two. though the gm did say he logged into them on his side and didnt have any problems. well hopefully one of us will get it figured out.
  18. Sungi Member

Yea, I have 9 toons, I can play the ones logged off in North Qeynos and go to Antonica and back fine, but if I zone to Qeynos harbor, they hang and become unplayable.
    So far the zones that hang are Qeynos Harbor, Greater Faydark, New Halas (Frostfang Sea?) for me.
    The tech support also says they can log into my toons fine, but I can't?
    The router being the problem is BS.
    I ran my router DMZ and my characters hang.
    I borrowed a friends FiOS Westell Router SFU Model 9100EM and my characters hang.
    They are giving us the run around because they either don't know what the problem is or they are stalling for time or just blowing us off because no one at support knows there is a problem or they have been told to not acknowledge they have a problem.
  19. Nexusgrey Member

Is everyone on the East coast of the united states that have this issue. I had all my toons put in the commanlands last night except for one. The GM said he didnt move that one because he saw me on that toon. Problem is when he saw me in the game i was still stuck on the load entities screen. I have 3 accounts and the same thing has been happening that all of you have said, I have reinstalled the game, validated the files and removed my Drums Ui all in a effort to resolve this issue. I think I may have been the first one to have this problem but it did start for me on tuesday night around 9pm est
  20. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Its obvious we are not alone and it isn't "just on our side". I have been using the same computer, hardware/software, internet, router, etc. for the last few years and have been playing this game successfully with said system up until a couple of days ago. I have done every suggestion they have given to us and I am still having the same problem. It's sad and frustrating to say the least. I can play any other game just fine.