End of Kilji/628/Sai and all other procs

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Kala Asuras, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Sydares Guest

This is bull. So, let's see. That bumps the number of Prismatic rewards we can actually use down to 0. Good to know I worked my butt off for these things, and camped the 628 Rapier for days just to have you, on a whim, make it all worthless. Thanks, Devs. Really, thanks. Either add some more bows obtainable out of raid zones, and make us less reliant on procs once and for all, or undo this crap. Whatever you do, add some bow rewards to the prismatic lines and offer the option to exchange, because you have shafted Rangers. I did not waste DAYS UPON DAYS completing Claymore in nothing but PuGs for a useless reward, and as a result, I'm not even going to bother with SoD. This is getting old. Your 'ranged attack' phobia is so overwhelming that it's disgusting. We already have to buy arrows and poisons, have a minimum range, can't cast CAs while running, start the fight snared, no longer proc off of procs... someone just make a damn list of our nerfs and lay them out at once, and you'll see just why we're so tired of you pissing on us constantly. You're using Top-tier raiders as a benchmark for DPS, and it's sickening. I'd be surprised if 2% of your Ranger population has ever even zoned in to Emerald Halls, yet you seem to use Tenderwood arrows to gauge us, and yes I'm spewing randomly off the top of my head now, but I'm so furious I can barely even think. If this change is not publicly denounced as false, I'll spit blood.
  2. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

[p]You better start spitting then... Cause it was said by a Dev this is supposed to happen around GU38.[/p][p]And for those that are upset with the changes. Deal with it. Its not the end of the world. Its not even like we'd be using the Kilij for that much longer after RoK gets released. So you have 2 months with a crappy weapon. Oh darn.. life sucks...[/p][p]Anyone that thought the Kilij/628/Ice forged were supposed to be like that were fooling themselves. Yes, it has been like this for almost a year, but that doesnt make it right. Bows dont proc of melee attacks, why should it work the other way around? It really shouldnt. Be happy that it worked this way as long as it did, but then ask yourself this. How many other classes out there are still using their claymore rewards? As for epic rewards we cant use? Hmmm no, thats not true. We can use them, we just choose not to because there is something better out there. I think what you mean to say is this... there isnt a specific weapon geared for a ranger. Every class gets a generic reward, ours just doesnt fit us as well as it does for other scout classes.[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-RoXxer Guest

I want an official answer please! I've been camping the 628 for weeks and it would really piss me off if I finally found it and then it got nerfed...
  4. ARCHIVED-Effidian Guest

[p] The Kilij is crappy? What are you using then? [/p][p]As for your second point, it would be a bit easier to swallow if the rest of the game was a bit more even with ranged. How many buffs and items have melee procs/crits/skills and not ranged? A lot. How many have ranged procs/crits/skills and not melee? Very few.[/p][p] [/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-LevLo Guest

Working as intended or not, one thing is sure at least.. the devs have known about certain melee weapons proccing of ranged for a long long time.. wasn't it even a dev that started using the kilij for extra dps? as I stated earlier I can see progression as a viable reason for the change. But don't come here telling us we were exploiting when you guys have known about it for so long and didn't decide to do anything about it before now. TerriBlades you said something that kinda annoyed me.. you said that RoK will be coming out soon and then we wont use the claymore anymore.. hahaha well thats exactly what I thought when EoF came out, but what do you know we are still using it cause there is no other melee weapon that can match it. And trust me even in RoK it would be quite easy to give up 10str for a 1k proc of your ranged weapon. And slightly related you said that why would the devs bother going back to old content to update the rewards, but isn't that exactly what they are doing now? Anyways I didn't mean to flame you or anything cause honestly I think in the end it's just as well that they remove the Kilij proc from our use.. gives a bit more diversity and we get a slightly broader choice in what to wear in our melee slots.. even though the new choices will be worse than what was before. However that doesn't hide the lack of ranger aimed items in this game. I wont go on another 1k words rant about that, but it seems all that is happening is that they are removing more and more items with benefit and not giving us anything in return. I am not saying we should get a new melee weapon that procs of ranged. No I just wish items had more ranger aimed stats and bonuses. One day I guess I will count all the items with melee crit and see how many it is compared to our 5-6 items with ranged crit.
  6. ARCHIVED-Shaulin Dolamite Guest

[p]Quote from Terriblades:[/p][p]Anyone that thought the Kilij/628/Ice forged were supposed to be like that were fooling themselves. Yes, it has been like this for almost a year, but that doesnt make it right. Bows dont proc of melee attacks, why should it work the other way around?[/p][p]With this logic then why do spells proc off melee weapons, why do melee weapons proc off rings, why do melee weapons proc off armorer?? If your logic is correct then shouldnt all this be on its way out??[/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-Zandokan Guest

LOL thats the thing theres no logic to this game whatsoever.
  8. ARCHIVED-matmanx1 Guest

This honestly wouldnt bother me so much if Ranger itemisation wasnt already somewhat of a sore spot. I understand that if something is not working as intended then it should be fixed. And if those few melee weapons that do proc off ranged were truly mistakes then ok, fix it. But developers hear me well. Rangers are already a pain to equip at high levels and especially in a raid environment. It's dissapointing when our already small (compared to melee classes) group of coveted and highly effective raid equipment gets diminished. And not even especially because it's a dps nerf. It's about choices! Not everone wants to be wearing the exact same thing. I think I can safely say we as Rangers all want more and better gear choices. And the others in this thread have already mentioned some of the things we'd like. Items with ranged crit chance, ranged procs (you know, to replace the ones we are loosing) + ranged skill, etc. I realize we're a special case class and items that benefit us really wouldnt benefit any other class much if at all. But in all fairness it was YOU who created us this way. We are the class SOE created us to be and we'd like to feel that we're getting more than a token glance (or heck, any glance at all - hi2u SoD and Prismatic quest lines) when it comes to loot tables and quest rewards. Is that so wrong? Am I off base here? But, lest this come off as a complete rant let me give some praise where it is due. I really enjoy this class moreso than any other class I've played in any mmo to date. (And I've just about played them all!) I really like the ranged attack dynamic, stances and poison combinations. The AA lines are fun, mostly well thought out and make a difference in playstyle. And here recently it seems you guys are paying attention to some things your customer base wants as far as game improvements. Well, here's your chance to once again show that you are listening. Please, SOE, give us some acknowledgement that you are aware that Ranger itemisation needs some improvement and are taking steps to improve it. And if you were really feeling nice and wanted to go back and add a more Ranger fiendly reward to the Prismatic and SoD quest lines well, that would be great also!
  9. ARCHIVED-Caelum Guest

Denuve@Mistmoore wrote:
    They did this for the Peacock rewards I believe. You could examine the weapon, I think it was the staff and the one handed sword and you could change it to a 2 hander. They could do this with one or all of these as eq2i says, Major EQ2 Quest Arcs:[p] [/p] [ul][li]Prismatic [/li][li]Peacock Club [/li][li]Claymore [/li][li]Swords of Destiny[/li][/ul]Theyve done it before...DO IT AGAIN!!!!
  10. ARCHIVED-Effidian Guest

[p] Do we really think the Buckler of the Howler and Waning Moon Cutter will proc off ranged when the change happens? The only difference (supposedly) between 'a' and 'any' is that damage spells will proc for 'any'. [/p][p]I wonder if they will go back and change all the melee weapon procs to be "on a successful melee attack" so that it will be clear what procs what? And the bow procs to be "on a successful ranged attack".[/p][p]Wish we had more info on this change...[/p]
  11. ARCHIVED-Sydares Guest

Seconding this. Loudly.
  12. ARCHIVED-TerriBlades Guest

[p]Okay this might get a bit long winded, but it seems I have to cover several posts.... so please, bear with me here.[/p][p]First off. On Flames Aeralik stated the following, in regards to melee weapons proc'n off ranged. Heres the thread (hopefully it lets me link). His quote in on page 3.[/p][p][size="x-small"]linky[/size][/p]
    [p]Effidian... Assuming that Game Update happens sometime in August, and RoK is released in Mid-November you will have 2-3 Months left using the Kilij AFTER the proc fix goes live. Hense a few months with a crappy weapon. Dont think this doesnt affect me. I use the Kilij just like any other ranger might and I'll continue to use it until its fixed, and/or I find something better.[/p][p]Levlo... Lets get something straight right now. Kilij as a melee weapon sucks. Period. Ask any melee class what weapon they use, and where they would rank the Kilij on that scale. Trust me, it wont be anywhere near the top. Having said that, what I believe you meant to say was its teh best CHOICE for a ranger at the moment due to the fact it currently procs off ranged. Fair enough, but its a broken mechanic. Yes, its been broken for a long time, but broken none the less. Second point is, WHY would you think that you wouldnt be using the Kilij in EoF? Because it was an expansion? A SAME TIER expansion? Every other class has moved away from the Kilij except rangers. And honestly, if it wasnt procing off ranged, most of use wouldnt even have it in our bags, let alone using it at a raid.[/p][p]Shaulin... Certain weapons are designed certain ways. Yeah there are some weapons that might proc from a hostle spell, but they are worded as such. A melee weapon that says it will proc on a successful attack means a melee attack. Certain weapons just feel through the cracks when then redid the weapon procs. Kilij was one of those weapons. So no, theres nothing wrong with my logic, nor do I see anything wrong with the Devs logic when its intended to proc only off melee attacks, because thats the type of attack for that weapon. I think you already knew this however and are just trying to muddy the waters.[/p][p]Effidian... back to you one last time. Waning Moon Cutter most likely wont proc off ranged attacks after the fix, neither will the ice forged sais, or the 628 raiper. And its as they should. The difference between the those weapons, and the Buckler of the Howler is simple. A bucklers not a weapon, its a shield. Yeah sure, some tanks have a CA for shields, but its not really a weapon. So, if the wording on a shield reads, successful attack, it should by all means proc off melee/ranged/CAs/whatever. Otherwise scouts would never see a proc off a shield, unless of course it read "when receives damage".[/p][p]Hopefully that clears up some confusion as there seemed to be quite a bit of it. I still stand by what I said. Melee weapons SHOULD NOT proc off ranged, just like ranged weapons shouldnt proc from melee attacks.[/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-Effidian Guest

Will the Kilij still proc off both melee and ranged CAs? Just not ranged combat arts? Or will it just proc off melee auto attack and melee combat arts?
  14. ARCHIVED-Mohawk876 Guest

[face="comic sans ms,sand"]First, I completely agree that melee weapons proccing off ranged doesn't make a lot of sense. I have taken advantage of it while I could and will continue to do so until it is no longer a viable option. When the band stops playing the waltz, you'd better change your dance step, or you'll be left on the dance floor looking confused and ineffective. Either this, or sulk your way to the seats, and hope they again start playing the one dance you know the steps to.[/face] TerriBlades wrote:
    [face="comic sans ms,sand"]This, I do take exception to, because in addition to the 3 months of time we will wait for the expansion to come out, it will be a couple months minimum (at very least in the mad dash to lvl 80) before most of the community has the ability or the luck to uncover gear that will make us look back on this thread and chuckle in an if-I-knew-then-what-I-know-now sorta way.[/face]
  15. ARCHIVED-LevLo Guest

TerriBlades wrote
    Yea sorry I meant for rangers, just figured it would be obvious as we are rangers discussing on the ranger board. And who cares if EOF was an expansion for the same tier, it still was an expansion and it added a ton of gear progression. So believing something better to come along is not really unheard of. Which IMO was the real problem, the Kilij made it so that progression on melee weapons for rangers were 0. currently there are 4 melee weapons we benefit from, 1 of those are t5 and one of those are a legendary rapier with no str. And removing that is ok. I stated this on many of the threads discussing this issue, I am supporting the change. Problem is just that melee weapons don't benefit us at all, not after the change at least. I don't want it to be unbalanced and giving us the edge or anything like that, I just want to make choosing between different melee weapons a viable choice. Now adornments just makes this issue a bit more annoying. Every melee class gets a benefit from having a bow or a sash, cause they get 10+dps. And they can put procs on their melee weapons. there is no adornment for melee weapons that gives us anything.. well the procs can be nice if they proc of melee CAs, but they wont proc very often. Now if they added dps adornments to melee weapons and a power proc to the bow I would happily change to that. let's say they made it possible to adorn one handers/dual wielders with 4dps, I could dualwield 2 weapons get 8dps and put a proc that actually procs on my bow. And for the vampiric proc, omg how worthless. I guess I am coming out a bit random now, but things just came to me while I was typing. Bottom line is this change is good IMO, it's a slight nerf yes, but it gives us a better progression in melee weapons. Now I just wish melee weapons had a bit more diversity in what they could offer, so that there actually existed weapons out there that benefits us too. Not asking for something specifically tailored to rangers, just something to make them mildly interesting to us. This change however will make the Waning Moon Cutter pretty much worthless, cause as far as I know only rangers really want those, and only the ones that don't have the Kilij.
  16. ARCHIVED-Zandokan Guest

This is pretty funny cause a lot of people talks out of their culo . We heard rumors and we read the post of the dev but he didnt say we are going to make kijil not proc off of range or anything like that what they are going to do is fix the damn wordings. Kijil could say after LU38 "on a succesful attack" so why we go out and make a huge deal out of something that is not even out in test.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kala Asuras Guest

Because often our well thought out assumptions end up being truth. Link
  18. ARCHIVED-Kaleyen Guest

Kala Asuras wrote:
    And also Here But that has already been posted, just reposting to show once again that this is NOT a rumor, this IS going to happen unless us Rangers get a bit more vocal.
  19. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I especially liked his comment about how casters being a different animal because they fight from ranged and rarely auto attack. The coders don't understand that Rangers are also a different animal becuase they fight from ranged and use a bow, and they wrote the freaking code. So they recognize that casters fight differently than melee classes, but yet fail to realize that Rangers fight differently than melee classes. I guess that's why the GDOH drops everytime you enter Lyceum before you even get off the steps, but you have to clear HOS and kill the zone Boss 40 times before you see the comparable Ranger weapon.
  20. ARCHIVED-Zandokan Guest

But like i said before on all the links that are out there nothing is really solid. I guess i have go back to school and learn again to read cause thats what i read.