Double/triple SC this 4th of July?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mindsway, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Tineren Active Member

You give them money, they give you an IOU. Yep, that's a loan. And again, the difference between paying for a night out and paying for a card stored in a drawer is that the people who sold you the card haven't had to produce anything yet. You ultimately may be spending the SC on a house or appearance item that won't even be designed for another 6 months. Meanwhile you are helping to pay the designer's salary. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I'm just saying this is why Sony has sales at irregular intervals and gives a limited warning. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move to even less warning for shorter but more frequent sales. I play another game where some sales have no warning and only last 4 hours.
  2. Levatino Active Member

problem is that many of those somethings only benefit the Americans and the rest of the world can just suck it up. I can understand that if you are an American you'll find it ok, but perhaps try to place yourselfs into the not american first before you make such statements..
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

As long as it will keep the game going, within July they can run stuff on Bastille Day, Orangeman's Day, Fair Holiday (in the parts of Scotland that hold it in July), and Umi no Hi - as well as American Independence Day.* The most important thing**, to me at least, is that they continue to be able to keep the game running. Everything else is secondary. o_O

* Those were the holidays I could find that occur within the month of July. (I'll admit, I had to look all of them up except for Bastille Day and American Independence Day.)
    ** As far as this game is concerned.
    suka and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  4. Mindsway Well-Known Member

How would double SC only benefit Americans? Are non-Americans somehow not excluded from redeeming them? Please get off my thread, thanks.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  5. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

I guess we have different understanding of the definition of the word "loan". What you are describing fits the definition of the term "down payment" / "reservation"

In the world a "loan" is an arrangement in which a lender gives money or property to a borrower, and the borrower agrees to return the property or repay the money, usually along with interest, at some future point(s) in time. Usually, there is a predetermined time for repaying a loan, and generally the lender has to bear the risk that the borrower may not repay a loan (though modern capital markets have developed many ways of managing this risk).

That is how I understand it, at least that is what was taught in college accounting
  6. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

In some countries it's more a case of GETTING a card to redeem. Neither Walmart nor 7-Eleven carry them here, and if I recall correctly the last couple of double-SC specials were specifically for cards sold by those stores.
  7. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Fair point but a.) they can be hard to find even in America. I used to live in Manhattan on 42nd Street and it was impossible to find them in my area. In freakin' Manhattan, 2 blocks from Times Square and no one carried them. And b.) that's kinda straying from the (insipid) point others were making about offering double SC on the 4th would be somehow unfair because it's on an American holiday.
    suka and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  8. valdoras Member

Who gives a **** I'm British and I buy SC every time there is a promotion, it takes about 10 seconds. What is so hard about typing /marketplace and clicking add funds?
  9. Nessari New Member

When your bank automatically blocks all transactions from SOE because of all the fraudulent charges they get from them, that's what.
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

@ Levatino

Its a specific American Holiday celebrated in-game. SOE is based in the states with American citizens as its employees.

What is the problem?
  11. suka Well-Known Member

but i don't think it is ok- which is the reason for my answers. not all Americans think that way.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

that isn't only a problem in other countries, it is also a problem here. the nearest walmart is over an hour away from me- and i don't have a vehicle right now. the nearest 7-11 is even further.so it isn't convenient for everyone- only those who live in cities or areas that have them.
  13. Kuulei Well-Known Member

LOL Well as I stated before, last year they announced in the news section on the afternoon of the 3rd that there would be a one-day double SC for July 4th only.
    BUT that was last year, no clue if they will for this one.
  14. suka Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a problem- i think they are just saying they feel left out. i personally think the more holidays we get to celebrate the better- and i don't care what country or culture it is from. we could have celebrated Cinco de Mayo and Junteenth- and i would have said "cheers". but i can understand them feeling left out. as an American, in a country that has a history of being inclusive- mostly anyhow- i certainly don't want anyone feeling left out.
    Levatino likes this.
  15. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Bastille Day has got some definite possibilities for PvP events.
    suka and Mindsway like this.
  16. Tineren Active Member

As I said in my first post the proper term is "Float". I referred to it as a loan simply because it's an easy way for most people to understand they are allowing someone else to use their money. People often come up with different terms for things as a way to obfuscate what they mean. But in the end, "down payments" and "loans" are both recorded as liabilities on the balance sheet.
    suka likes this.
  17. Atan Well-Known Member

I am surprised at seemingly no event around the long weekend.
  18. Tyndaleon Member

19. Atan Well-Known Member

I never bought into those arguments. I simply don't believe a players social circle is so tiny in game that they couldn't find someone they trusted to PayPal some funds to in order to get some card codes.
  20. Ladymist Well-Known Member

I live in America and my local walmart nor 7-11 sells these. I guess I could take a ferry to the mainland drive for about a half hour and hope that that walmart might start selling them.