Discriminatory Game Mechanics

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-glowsinthedark, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Toughone Guest

Yah if things dont get fixed im probably gonna quit the game too, sick of nothing being done to fix us.
  2. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

The problem is right now, we dont know how many have these foci and how much % AA EE and flurry rogues and assasins getting which means sometime in the middle of teh expansion those classes getting 20,30,40% and than parses start to look different than now.
    I cant see devs adjust that, look like a completetly broken expansion for rangers thanks to xelgad, timetraveller (items) and co.
  3. ARCHIVED-kartikeya Guest

Noob1974 wrote:
    In Xelgad's defense, he really has been working the best he can, given he just had an extremely behind schedule expansion dropped into his lap during the ninth inning. I don't blame Xelgad for the current state of rangers on beta, I blame a certain departed predecessor of his, coupled with a general team-wide lack of understanding of the ranger class and current state. The groundwork for ranger issues on beta was laid quite some time ago, in some instances years back. Remember, we were due for an overhaul back during RoK, and instead we got the 'fix' that fixed mechanics and then nerfed us so that we couldn't benefit from the change. And Xelgad hasn't been in his current position long enough to have truly influenced the design of T9 class content.
    The itemization really pisses me off, of course. But again, surrounding attacks has never worked for rangers, and that's from KoS, and flurry not working for rangers is over a year old. It's just now the development team has decided to slap flurry and AE auto attack on a considerable number of items.
    Rangers need an overhaul along the lines that were given to coercers and SKs. Sadly, a complete class overhaul is somewhat out of the question when you're also trying to push out an expansion that is considerably behind schedule. And unfortunately that means T9 is looking to be extremely frustrating and painful for us.
  4. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

kartikeya wrote:
    Thats whyi advocate, knowing its not the best option marketing wise, take off such items and adorments untill they come up with something for ranger .
  5. ARCHIVED-Toball Tokor Guest

kartikeya wrote:
    Sorry I don't buy this. First some of the corrections are easy. Second we have been complaining for 2 years .... more. Alll this was pointed out. As soon as I saw the predator tree I knew that all that effort fell on deaf ears. And opening volley? Holy crap. They rarely listen and when they do they fail to understand. Take our wonderful Makeshift Arrows, quickly done and totally ignored our input. Or look at the fix for attack hawk, take our lame group buff and change it to a positional drop for us! That will get us into groups! Gave workable AoE's they turned around and gave it to every other melee through itemization.
    Fail
  6. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

I talked with Xelgad about these mechanics for Rangers and he agreed that something would need to be done. He already had some ideas for them as well. The biggest challenge we're facing is not enough time to do everything we'd like to do before the expansion. For changes such as these, to allow flurry and/or ae auto-attack to work with ranged attacks, it's going to require some code changes and testing. So we won't be able to make it before the expansion, but its definitely something we want to do.
  7. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Rothgar with all the respect...... as much as im happy about this statement im concerned.... main reason is you asking us for time ,meaning buying and xpansion and monthly subs in hope something will be done.
    Let me make something clear we had to wait between T7 to T8 5months into expansion till the " arrow" issue was fixed.
    Now you come again ask for time ? How often do we as a ranger community have to wait till things are being done on time time.?
    For me this is not acceptable......
  8. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Noob1974 wrote:
    I'm not asking you for anything. Xelgad and I discussed this today so I'm merely trying to communicate with you guys about it. Take it for what it's worth and in the end you decide where you want to put your dollars.
  9. ARCHIVED-Toball Tokor Guest

Thank you, sincerely it is so good to hear a direct statement from you.
    But that just keeps us from falling further behind.
    It does not fix grouping logic or put us back in the T1 bracket. We have held on by our fingernails for a long time now. There is a better class for everything we can provide in group or raid. We have lost our role and function with what little utility we did have given better elswhere and what DPS we brought overshadowed. Likely the gap is to large to bridge and the perfect opportunity lost.
    If you put a group together to take on a tough mob at range you take a mage for DPS. If it is melee you take an assasin or a Swashy or even a tank. You don't take a Ranger. DPS was already a problem and inspite of the complaints the gap was made even wider. Find a single post in beta where a group was looking for a ranger. Find one guild looking for a Ranger. Accuracy is is going to help classes we already fall behind on and many times redundant in the groups we will get. We need too much (re;buff ******) to justify our inclusion for DPS anymore, and even then we will not be the top parsers.
    Ranger is a fail class.
  10. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    It may sounds strange to you but your response to my response showed that there maybe some hope at the horizon and you try your best.
    The only thing i want to do you have is sort of schedule that you guys have in mind, not to pressurize you.
    But some ranger are looking for raidforces and it would be good to know for them.
  11. ARCHIVED-akaglty Guest

I understand that coding takes time but there are a few changes that could happen before launch and wouldn't be hard to do such as: Fixing our cast times and reuse on some of the slower casting spells. There is no reason spells like Miracle Shot should have such a slow cast speed with really low damage, especially since the utility portion of it is pretty much gone now. Casting spells like these are less dps than just skipping them all together and using the faster melee spells. It would be a really nice bump in dps to just look at these two things to get us by for the time being, until the coding can get fixed.
  12. ARCHIVED-Toball Tokor Guest

A quicker improvement would be adding improved casting and recast to Hunter's Instinct as proposed in beta, changing opening volley to something that works, have hawk raise the fighters 3 positions instead of lowering the ranger three positions and make makeshift arrows work along Gungos idea.
  13. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

cchap, nevao and Neiloch alrerady made suggestions stuff that can be implementted faster.
    Arrow Barrage 1min ruese timer, Natrual Selection 10-15 secs reuse timer and stealth requirements taken away.
    SF Archers fury endline ability dmg increase by 50%, makeshift arrow reuse timer to 3 minutes .
    I think if you could look into this things before expansion launch that would be great.
  14. ARCHIVED-Toball Tokor Guest

Though all good suggestions, none of that addresses current inequity, nor the equipment differential on the way to 90 and 250AA. Adding cast and recast improvement to Hunter's Instinct does and the mechanics are already in place. Tough to imagine not being able to get it in place by release.
    Not sure what the optimum improvement would be. Start at like 5% to 20% improved cast and recast in an apprentice to master spread
    As an added benefit it would be easily adjustable if it were overpowered or under powered and could easily put us back on level with the other DPS if our Autoattack were also the best again.
    The small difference in our melee vs ranged damage is something else that needs corrected asap.
    But then again I am probably much too excited by Rothgar's direct communication with us.
  15. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    As a long time ranger I would like this to be top priority. Flurry and Ae Auto are the last stats in alienating rangers in terms of itemization and balance. Even making 'ranged flurry' and 'ranged AE Autoattack chance' would be a step in the right direction but ideally I would like it to be 'consolidated' just like every stat so we can finally move on. Its a serious sticking point when it comes to balance, in the ranger communities view.
    I can understand why they would want to wait for these changes to go in before they start overhauling other things like AE's and cast times. Changing recast, and casting times now to have us 'caught up' would mean these same things would have to be nerfed when Ae Auto and flurry are finally coded to work with ranged weapons.
    I never understood the 'cautious' nature of upping ranger DPS. We are supposed to be top DPS. Worst case scenario you up it too much and we become one of the best if not THE best DPS. So? Not like we also have a bunch of utility and would thus make it so people want 4-6 rangers on every raid. And it wouldn't be nearly as OP'd as a rogue, summoner, or enchanter topping the parse regularly since they do have significantly more utility (in SF). Sorcerers AND Assassins have more utility than us (not as much as the previously mentioned classes) and they can easily match/beat our DPS.
    So in a nutshell, if you could fast track giving rangers flurry and auto AE, that would be great.
  16. ARCHIVED-Noob1974 Guest

Not sure if its abug but Potency and ability modifier does not affect our offstance... Another Nerf inc ?
    It gets frustrating now.......................
  17. ARCHIVED-Cchap Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    This is great news!!! Come guys, I share your frustration, but give Xelgad and team a break. What I see are 24 classes that all need some degree of tweeking (before xpac) and that is prolly just the tip of the iceberg of their workload. Interim "fixes" like shorting Natural selection (w/o stealth requirement) reuse timer would be nice, but we've waited this long... what's another month or two (I hope) gonna hurt. At least we didn't get a categorical NO to AE and flurry.
    I look forward to the permanent changes in the near future and thanks for the communication.
  18. ARCHIVED-Azrael_888 Guest

Gaige said it best on flames in response to this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feldon30 [IMG]
    From the web event on UStream (What a cluster for the first hour) Brenlo said that more x2 and x4 raids are coming this year as content updates.
    Brenlo also said Shader 3.0 would go live in 09, he also said GUs would be on time, he also said the team would communicate more, he also said the expansion being delayed 3 months would mean a bigger, more polished experience, he also said 3 month GUs would be bigger and more polished, he also said Halas would go live with GU55...

Need I go on about the promises he can't keep?
  19. ARCHIVED-Toball Tokor Guest

Neiloch@Crushbone wrote:
    My point was that if this were the case it would be a quick, easy and needed adjustment AND easily adjustable IF it were overpowered. The effects could be easily measured and would be across the board on CA's which while not the only thing, are a large portion of our problems.
    Many including yourself have stated that itemization equality on AoE/Flurry should be close to equal. Now you think it will cause us to be overpowered or that it will give us an advantage over other melee? I thought we all agreed we needed it just to stay abreast.
  20. ARCHIVED-Sydares Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Rothgar - Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.