create perma locked eq2 server like agnarr

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Storiesofold, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Zenji Well-Known Member

Ya I am just making stuff up...o_O

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/agnarr-is-dead-where-should-i-transfer.256917/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rr-is-the-best-server-in-eq’s-history.269434/

What could it hurt? Well seeing how we only get 1 TLE PVE server every couple years or so, I would prefer the next one not be DoA. I would much rather it be fun for a while before withering away like the previous TLEs.
  2. Nilyana Active Member

Honest question - what's the appeal of a server that never progresses? While I realize there is a fair amount of content in the first several expansions, especially if you were to go round doing everything you can, wouldn't you eventually... well, get bored? Run out of things to do?
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Unless you poopsock it on P99 Blue, yes.
  4. shaunisme Member

A server where the mobs have 4x the HP's and double the damage. some challenge that needs a group!
  5. omgitsbees New Member

Throwing in my two cents that I would love a server that is only ever EQ2 before any expansions. It doesn't matter that it would die after 60 days or whatever arbitrary number has been chosen that isn't backed up by any facts. EQ2 is a dead MMORPG as is, it makes no difference.

That is the case for literally every single video game ever. This is a non-issue and not a argument against such a server.
  6. Nilyana Active Member

I'm asking why people want it, not arguing against it. What's the appeal of a totally locked server for you, versus a standard progression server? The only thing I've seen mentioned is that standard progression servers tend to die around DOV, but this doesn't seem like it would keep a server around for very long, either. So there's got to be something besides that.
  7. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Most video games have a defined ending. You play them until you win, then you're done. MMOs have no defined ending and are designed to be played indefinitely. By having a locking point, your MMO now has a defined ending.
    Breanna, Tkia and Zenji like this.
  8. Storiesofold New Member

Because some people don't have time to max out characters and raid on standard tle servers where each expansion only last four months. This will give all players time to max out characters and alts, raid do whatever they want while knowing that their work won't be for nothing. Opposed to as soon as they max out a character a new expansion is released or the server dies. I for one can't even get into TLE anymore after having all my work just erased at DOV last two tle servers. If you are someone who gets bored with an entire expansion after only a few months them perhaps you have been playing this game too much for too long, perhaps maybe a tle just isn't for you anymore? Also most importantly daybreak can create at least two tle servers, one perma locked and one like the current tle's that just die. We'll see which one people flock to.
  9. Storiesofold New Member

Nonsense to you, there is no end until a player decides to stop playing. That is the only end. Having a locking point gives players the ability to have no end. Opposed to the server being shut down which is a real end...
  10. omgitsbees New Member

Says who? This is 100% not true at all. I've been playing MMOs since 1998, and never once has this ever been true.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

Do you play the game 8 hours a week or more? If so, you have more than enough time to get several characters capped and geared out in the 4 months span of an expansion. There are several very casual guilds on Kaladim that have been doing just that for the last 2 years.

If you are someone who doesn't get bored with an expansion after a few months, maybe you should start a leveling locking guild and keep raiding the same expansion for several years. I would be willing to bet you couldn't fill a guild let a lone a server with enough people who would want to play a single expansion permanently.
  12. Zenji Well-Known Member

Being locked to 1 expansion is exactly creating an end. Once you have collected your Best in slot gear, completed any Sig quests / HQs and cleared the raid content you are in fact done.

The other TLE servers got shut down because the populations died off. Partially do to attrition and finally because the next TLE server is announced.

WoW Private servers did exactly what you are asking for, locked to Vanilla, TBC, Wrath etc. They last a couple years at most.
  13. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Really, all those MMOs you've played have had an ending? Tell me, how did you beat the original EverQuest? How long did that take to complete?

The only time an MMO ever has an ending is when the developer goes out of business, and that's not an ending by design. Again, as a general rule, MMORPGs have no defined ending. They just keep going with more updates and expansions until finances decree otherwise. Hell, The Realm Online is still up and receiving updates. I don't know what MMOs you've been playing, but they obviously weren't the ones I was playing.
    Zenji likes this.
  14. Storiesofold New Member

wrong... I play on agnarr and it's alive and well. Don't mention wow...lol... Also there is p99 even a second p99 server both doing great. Oh and they just made two more perma locked eq1 servers... They are far from dying. Would rather have it capped permanently then just be shut down. Again they can create more than one tle server. one that will just get shut down eventually and one for the rest of us.. Pretty easy choice for me. Or you can always go play live...
    Brightblade likes this.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

I see a very common trend in your responses.
    - Deny history
    - Claim your opinion as fact despite evidence to the contrary
    - Refuse to use common sense
    - Tell people who disagree with you to go play live

We can just agree to disagree, since having a debate based on truth isn't going to happen here.
  16. Storiesofold New Member

Please enlighten me, how have I denied history? As far as the success of perma locked eq1 servers, it is fact. Why would they be making more? I play on Agnarr it's alive and well. More so than Kaladim will be by the end of the year. And refuse to use common sense sounds like you describing yourself... And yes if you want new content than you should go play live...
  17. Brightblade New Member

StoriesofOld has a point regarding the eventual collapse of the tle server into a Live one. All his work on Kaladim will be "written off" basically when that happens even if in a distant future. Some players have more time than others to accrue gear.

Coming from someone who loved EQ1 FV during it's heyday 2001+ one big draw for some people is a sense of community or a server belonging. That community feeling -perhaps- is lost when players are told the server will eventually be deleted although it's just updated with a Live one.

Sadly, Stormhold didn't make it but take a gander at P99's free servers. Quite busy. If the devs decided a locked Tle would be left up as long as the lights are still on i think, imo, it would have the potential to hold a small loyal group of players who know what to expect from the expansion it's locked on and dev tweaking of the difficulty.
    Storiesofold likes this.