create perma locked eq2 server like agnarr

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Storiesofold, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Storiesofold New Member

Tired of the current time locked progressions servers that just get killed around DOV expansion. Why don't we have a perma locked eq2 server at one of the older expansions? Any expansion from EOF to SOF would work great.
    Obano likes this.
  2. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

They can't remotely balance the gameplay in a manner that would support this type of server. They can't even get an expac balanced to last us 2 solid months.
    Smashey likes this.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

Because it would be a dead server (even at EQ2 standards) in less than 90 days.
    Smashey and Schmetterling like this.
  4. Storiesofold New Member

I would bet against that.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

You'd lose.

They'd have to make some significant modifications before they could even try, and not just fixing difficulty and itemization. They'd have to reintroduce all of the progression gates they've removed over the years, such as required access quests for pretty much any major zone. They'd have to mess with quests in order to make the wiki and zam useless and force us to figure them out from scratch all over again. They'd have to reintroduce death penalties. And all of this would only serve to delay the inevitable, unless they actually started developing new content to fit in-era with the final expac at the cap. Eventually people run out of crap that they want to do.
    Melt likes this.
  6. Neurology Member

Why would they have to mess with quests to make the wiki and zam useless? That just seems like a lot of extra work for no true reward. If you want to figure out new quests, go play live when new expansions launch. They wouldn't need to reintroduce death penalties, slowing the XP rate to how it was in EoF/RoK days is more than enough.

To further contradict yourself the only reason to put the above mentioned 'features' is to prolong an experience which doesn't really fix anything. Making the experience *enjoyable* is what keeps people around.

If it's enjoyable, people will continue to play with friends, create alts, do those random achievements you never thought you'd have time to. Sure there will be people who rush to the end clear everything and never play again, but that's not the majority of the player base.
  7. Storiesofold New Member

it could and must be done. would be a great server. A tribute to eq2
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

You must be new to the TLE scene.

Every TLE server has behaved the same way, each expansion lasts 3-4 months, the last month of every expansion there is a sizeable population decline. Many come back for the new content, but for the next expansion less come back, and less the next time.
    After about 2- 2.5 years the population is in a bad place and then a new TLE is announced and the server completely dies off.

Your plan to permanently hold a server at 1 expansion would cause it to lose the majority of it's population in about 60 days depending on content tuning and itemization. It would then be left with only the very casual players who would inevitably get frustrated being on an empty server and also quit within a month or so.

But hey, Daybreak often makes servers most of their player base thinks are poorly implemented or just terrible ideas. So you may get what you want. ;)
  9. Kurth Member

I definitely think progression quests and access quests oughta be added back in to regular TLE servers for things like Zek/EL etc
    Breanna likes this.
  10. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

The point is to prolong the amount of time required to complete the content in order to extend the life of the server. Changing the locations of quest objectives forces the server to come together to figure them out again. Death penalties overall slow progression in mitigatable manner, as opposed to just watching your xp bar barely move whenever you kill something. EoF/RoK exp rates were fast compared to launch values. Enjoyable is entirely subjective. Is flying through all expansion content in a month or less enjoyable? How many people came back for the TLE concept only to leave once they realized it wasn't remotely a classic experience? You might not be able to make a permalocked server work long term, but you can make server life a hell of a lot longer when people actually have to put in the effort to solve the quests and work through content. If you have that, then the desire to see an expansion lock should be mitigated. How many people have quit the game over the years due to the "dumbing down" and "WoW-ification"? A goddamn lot. Damn, I wish this game was as challenging as WoW. Look at the state of EQ2. What's going on with Live and TLE both, it ain't working. Let's have some content we can't fly through with zero effort.

In terms of "go play live".. No. Live sucks and has almost no quest content in the last two expacs and those were stupid simple. It's worse than the state of TLE.
    Storiesofold likes this.
  11. Rozyn Well-Known Member

To quote Dreamweaver on the Discord this last week "There will not be a new TLE PVE this year. 100% confirmed. [The] dev teams goal is to continue to support Kaladim through more expansions." Someone replied "so kaladim is going to DoV and beyond?" and he replied "My understanding is that's the goal yes."

I know this only addresses the "tired of it ending in DoV" part of your topic. Kaladim pop is going pretty strong still, so this is great news for a lot of us. Hopefully the word gets out.
    Storiesofold likes this.
  12. Shady1 Member

You ever tore something super complicated apart, and were NEVER able to put it together again because it's so many tiny parts, and you probably should have just let someone more intelligent/capable/experienced fix it in the first place?

That's the entire Everquest Franchise and basically anything Daybreak touches.

They are the lazy kids who inherited the corporate mega-conglomerate corporation from daddy when he died and have zero clue whatsoever to do with basically every single tiny aspect of everything that exists, altogether.

So they just slap some lipstick on a pig and sell you that instead.
    Froglok and Storiesofold like this.
  13. Storiesofold New Member

again that's just your opinion friend. I've been playing this game since release and have played all of the tle servers but they just get cancled at the same expansion. People don't want to put time into something that isn't going to last. this is everquest, it's supposed to last forever. If you get bored with something in 60 days i think you are very much in the minority. Go play live.
  14. Storiesofold New Member

The thing is I don't really trust that, doesn't sound very official. They need to make that very public, and probably should have done it a long time ago. How long past Dov will it last? nobody knows, nobody wants to invest in that... They need to be more organized with this game... It has such great potential and they are just squandering it. Also side not the vah shir textures? really?.....
  15. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Any server that gets capped permanently will be dead within 6 months. Anyone who believes otherwise either has never played on TLE, completely misunderstands the EQ2 player base, or is basically delusional. The only kind of server that would stand a chance of longer term success as a capped server would be a PvP server, but even then that would have a pretty limited lifespan.
    Melt and Zenji like this.
  16. Storiesofold New Member

wrong, that's just your opinion. Go play live... Agnarr proves otherwise. Also u sound very arrogant and I have played all of the tle servers and eq2 since launch...
  17. Melt Actually plays the game

I'm sure nobody would EVER get bored of a server that never gets new content, especially without PvP...

Also, imagine using "play live" as an insult. High tier b8.
    Zenji likes this.
  18. Zenji Well-Known Member

Agnarr proves otherwise? Wasn't that where they unlocked expansions every 12 weeks until they got to Lost Dungeons of Norrath?

7 expansions total. 12 weeks each. And at 2 years in the server was dead. So what exactly did it prove? That it took 5 months of no new content to kill off an EQ1 progression server.

Also I hate to break it you pal, but many of us on these forums have also played every TLE server. Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. The major difference is the history of TLE servers agree with people telling you a TLE server would die off quickly if it locked at an expansion with no new content coming. Because they can't even sustain a population with content coming every 4 months or so.
  19. Melt Actually plays the game

I'm a primarily live player and I've played every TLE til death... I don't think this guy is as special as he thinks he is.
    Tkia and Zenji like this.
  20. Storiesofold New Member

lol agnarr dead? Come on now are you even trying to sound honest... It's far from dead. Anyway what could it hurt to give it a try, if you aren't interested then don't play on it if it ever happens? Why get your panties in a bunch over people who do want such a server?