Copying Someone Else's Work

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Wizzam, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Oh, man... I've been using that layout editor for years now, and I still get mad at it about halfway through the design process and stop using it. It took me forever to learn how to use out the circle tool, and that was after reading every tutorial I could find, watching the videos, and locking myself in my Tenebrous Isle until I figured it out.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Merriel and 2 others like this.
  2. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I like the book idea. . . . in the house I just did on Skyfire I have a book (on the bar) that thanks all who helped me in the endeavor. (I may not have named everyone by name cause I don't remember them all but I have the "and many others" thanked in it which covers anyone I may have forgotten. I think I will be doing that from now on. . . for safteys sake.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

If I ever figure all of this out to be able to make the fantastic items you all are pros at, there will always be a book on a table at the entrance to the house to give credit to the inspiration for any items I made. I have a composition book next to me with a pen so if I see something I like I can write it down and where I saw it and who's house it was so they can be given the kudos they deserve.

I cannot decorate to save my life, but its shameful for anybody to take anybody else's work and not give them notice and credit. They should stay in the fetal position in that basement until they have learned how to treat other people whether they know them or whether they are internet people. Parents from the last 20 years or so should be ashamed that they cannot take the time to properly raise their children and teach them respect and gratefulness.

Cyrrena

(sorry for the soapbox)
  4. Merriel Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean, hehe. It's still my preference to lay things manually, which I think kind of drives Vas and Cey insane, but it just seems so much easier to me. Then I go back later to make adjustments as needed. There are some things, however, which I simply cannot achieve without the use of the layout editor, and when Cey and I still can't figure it out, we're like "Ummm, Vas....we need your expertise!" He's such a trooper about it too, never hesitates to help out...and if he can't figure it out, he doesn't give up until he does figure it out. He does absolutely amazing things with the editor. :)
  5. Merriel Well-Known Member

Nice! Did you make a circle or a dome? I tried doming it manually and it just wouldn't work out right. The pitch and roll thing made it nearly impossible, lol. When I told Vas what I was trying to do, instead of just coming in and doing it for me, he came in and instructed me on how to do it while he watched. I'll never forget that. It's no wonder he works in supervision at his job. He's a great mentor! :)
  6. Gracey Well-Known Member

Hah - you know I don't mind - it's now your work. I did not help you do it!!! Open the thing up and show it off - your's looks better than mine!! I'm so sorry my friend.
  7. Ealdian Well-Known Member

"if you could get suspended or banned in this game for stealing people's layouts(or worse), likely you see a few less thieves. because some of them would not like the punishment (or even the risk of punishment being) meted out to them."

I am all for this.
  8. Wizzam Well-Known Member

I can't agree with this at all! Your hall is gorgeous. But I really appreciate the compliment <3
    And like we talked about earlier, the crafting tables are SO much easier to use! If you haven't done a how-to write up or video, you may want to add it to your to-do list. I'm sure lots of people will be interested in it.
  9. Gracey Well-Known Member

ok Wizzam - done. I have no idea how to do a video LOL
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Just a dome...was trying to line/reskin the rounded ceilings of a couple of rooms in the 2-room Gorowyn place. ;->

I do have the old layout, though, just in case...I wound up taking it down so I could skin the walls better, and really haven't gotten back to putting it back together again (fortunately, it's Moonlight Grotto parts, so no worries about getting any more ;->).

Uwk
    Moena, Merriel and Ocarinah like this.
  11. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Cey had asked me to video the last class you were going to hold but RL got in the way. If you do decide to do another class, please let me know and I will try my best to be available to video it. I forgot to get your books in my guild hall and now no clue where that post is so I can do this.
  12. Gracey Well-Known Member

I will try - one last time - to get a class together. The content of the books is in your linked thread.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Moonpanther and 4 others like this.
  13. Faeonara Well-Known Member

I much prefer the old fashioned way things were handled when someone in a community did something so offensive that it was thought by all to be disgraceful , instead of banning the miscreant from the village they would just "send them to Coventry "
    When you are sent there no one acknowledges you ,no one speaks to you , no one will trade with you , no one will buy from you ,people will shun you and anyone that breaks down and treats with you in any way will be meted the same punishment .
    By and large the person moves far far away and hopefully learns from their mistake.
    Mind you at one time a thief would have had their hands chopped of as well ...hmmm :p
    Ocarinah, Kokorobosoi, kianne and 5 others like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Flat-out shunning, yeah. Another name for it...

And thieves could also be hung for as little as a shilling, too, depending (or sent farther away than Coventry [actual place, where Lady Godiva supposedly made her ride], like to Georgia in the New World or Australia), so... In the day and age of daytime talk shows and Internet finger-pointing, maybe that's the modern solution...public shaming, not hanging. ;->

Uwk
    Moena, Faeonara and Prissetta like this.
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

We can all claim we are Amish or Hutterites, that way shunning would be expected for bad behavior.

Cyrrena
  16. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Would love a class on the circle tool!!
  17. Gracey Well-Known Member

Umm no
    Circles /boggle

I have to refer to notes to do those too!!! I can give you the content of my notes!!

Circle Point - What place (location) you want the center to be
    #of Steps - How many items will you be placing in this circle
    Start Angle - Clockwise is positive number, Counter-clockwise is negative number
    Radius - How far from the center do you want the circle?
    Increase - How much you want each "step" to increase or 0
    Total Angle - What type of circle do you want? 360 full circle, 180 half circle

Usually I can figure it out from just going thru each number, but it still confuses the heck out of me too. Easy to get turned around. I do believe Jazabelle has a tutorial on it, but I haven't looked for it. Could be in the stickied post as well.

Good luck!!
  18. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I'll take any help I can get lol.
  19. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Me too. I have been hoping and praying that Vas can give classes or something on using the editor, when they are finished with the hurricane assistance.

Cyrrena
  20. Anatha Active Member

I have to admit that I am trying to re-create a home called Deluxe Seaside Cottage by Daenie. The original designer no longer plays and her house is not accessible. I am on Skyfire and have not finished it yet due to epic 2.0/raiding/etc. I did put in my title that it is a tribute to her beautiful home. It is not open yet. Here is the link to a video of her beautiful home.