Copying Someone Else's Work

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Wizzam, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Merriel Well-Known Member

Cyrrena, his trip to help with the hurricane assistance ended up being cancelled. He was ready to go at the drop of a pin, but I guess they ended up with all the help they needed and didn't send him. He has been quite busy with work, however, and he's been fighting off allergies too and hasn't been feeling too well. Just send him an in-game mail on Maj'dul server or a forum pm, to Vasciagio. I'm sure he will be happy to help out. I know he's talked about running classes before but it's just a matter of his being able to find time to do so. :)
    Moena, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Wizzam like this.
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

Oh I have seen this house before and I agree, it's quite amazing and beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your replication of the home, Anatha. :)
  3. Jexi Well-Known Member

I've sold my guild hall layout several times in the past for platinum and it's coming back to haunt me. One day some random person started sending me tells and being very hostile about their guild hall design. I'm like..uh I didn't copy any guild hall design? So he says it's the one in Gorowyn with the castle. So then I realized the person who decorated their guild hall was one of the people that bought my layout. He wouldn't even listen when I tried to explain that I created this castle and several people on the Skyfire server have that layout now.

I'm not too smart when it comes to remembering who people are, and it's nothing against the decorators. I just have a bad memory. I like to ask questions because I forget and don't fully understand what's being said to me. Even if I already asked it before :( I have a short attention span sometimes, so if someone told me who they were or who they weren't I would have forgotten. I had let Cheribomb know about a person that had used her guild hall design once. The person that used her design continues to harass me to this day. Recently, I also investigated for an old friend just to be helpful to find out who used her design. I couldn't find that person, but I found out that house owner's name and not much else to go on. I still haven't located them, but created misunderstandings about the whole mess along the way. I apologize for that. I'm just not going to track these people down for anyone again. All it does it make people think badly of me when I wasn't even trying to cause trouble. Somehow there's people (yet to be identified so don't start thinking it's you, whoever you are) that think I'm a terrible person and I still have no clue why. lol I quit playing for several months due to that. I like decorating and I really don't want to leave because someone I don't know says I'm a bad person. Aloof with a bad memory? Yes, definitely. Horrible and out to get people? Never. :)
  4. kianne Well-Known Member

this is the house that inspired me to build like i do and its the basic inspiration for my gh with the halas counters ect.. i love this place :)
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh, man... :(

One of the great things about a community of any sort is how we all know each other (or think we do) or are all familiar with one another, etc., etc., etc. One of the sucky things about a community of any sort is how we all know each other (or think we do) or are all familiar with one another, etc., etc., etc. in the sense that "familiarity breeds contempt." And it's tough to understand people's motives when all we usually have is just writing to go by, or at best a voice, thus missing out on apparently the other 95% of communication that's "non-verbal," but visual. :-/

That being said, I've never had any problems whatsoever with you, Jexi, and as a matter of fact, I try to brag around all over the place how my TARDIS design was pretty much stolen liberally from you, the original EQ2 creator of it (at least, that particular design. Brilliant, it is! :D). The only changes I've done at all to it were to swap out the books used for the "POLICE BOX" writing; the door handles; the base (using two Stairs rather than just the Tile that I think you had? I seem to remember that one has to step up from the ground to get in the door), and the li'l light on top, not to mention making the roof "peaky" with four Blue Marble Triangles (though in order to finagle it, I pretty much had to lay them flat anyway...sigh). But it's not nearly any 51% difference, so I always make sure to reference you. :)

Thanks for that! :D

Uwk
    working on maybe another style that isn't quite so Black Marble Railing intensive... :-/ We'll see. ;)
    Prissetta likes this.
  6. elflover Well-Known Member

When I first started playing I was in a rp guild on the Freeport (which is now one of the three turned into skyfire) server. The guys I was in guild with would do a lot of decorating becuz of that. They would show me (at the time i was more interested in crafting) and then I took a break for a couple years. When I came back I would do moonlight enchantments and I would see a toon named Jexi a lot, seeing her titles got me reinterested me into decorating homes and I would do tours of homes a lot from that. So when I do something in a house I can say who I recently saw do it but after awhile it hard to tell how long you've known doing same thing. But an entire home copied and not even saying whos house you saw in a book or little note hurts. And some people I gues don't understand people sell layouts or do work for others and it looks the same because the same person did the work and wasn't known. Ive done some published home long ago and I would leave a sign somewhere in the house where it would fit saying which toon decorated it, so if it wasn't in the title of the home it was in there somewhere(didn't know at the time there were books lol).
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Wizzam like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Might not've been at the time; I'm not sure which came first, actually, the Personalizable Frostfell Cards or the Notebooks. Either way, they're a gods-send, and you'd be surprised how much info you can stuff into just a card or Personal Note (from Erollisi Day recipes)! :)

Uwk
    Prissetta and elflover like this.
  8. elflover Well-Known Member

I know about those things NOW lol but about 3 or 4 yrs ago I was lost. I never published anything, like most I think was scared too and I didn't know about notes books or the cards lol then I started paying more attention to actually picking up the recipes from events, I didn't know they had sooo many neat items I could make. Now I want more recipes from events! All I knew about were signs so I would leave one in the houses.
  9. Jexi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Uwkete. As I know from past history, I can occasionally create misunderstandings without my even knowing or realizing. Glad you're enjoying your Tardis. There's another person on Skyfire that created a more realistic one than I did but I doubt he published it yet. Mine was like over 200 pieces I think? My friend's Tardis actually has real insets in the sides instead of black railings. I thought that was a clever idea and was tempted to redo mine, but I don't want to steal his thunder. :) I just like to go for super realism I guess.

The whole stolen design thing does affect us all. I remember back in 2006 I wasn't creating anything worth copying here in EQ2. lol Then I started getting better and better and started seeing exact replicas of items I made. That's not much of a bother. What's really a bad thing are people copying item for item in the whole home. It's sort of like plagiarized artwork. I recall back in high school they wanted us to pick a famous painting and copy it in art class. I didn't like that assignment much. I ask people if I can use their ideas if I need it. I will say this though: several times I have been building something and another person built the same thing and neither of us had our homes available to the public, so it does happen. People sometimes think alike. Not only do they think alike, but even their personalities are alike. I once ran into a person in Everquest many years ago by accident. He had chosen the same name as me (only spelled with an E instead of an I), same appearance, same class, same armor colors and apparently he had once been in the guild I had just joined. (people kept saying "welcome back to the guild" and it baffled me cuz I was new?) He didn't copy me, as I was the newbie on that server. Another coincidence I found out is we have the same birthday as well. This is what you call the far extreme end of "thinking alike". The only difference I found was this person was a man and I'm a woman. And being different people, of course. lol

Wow, I had no idea, elflover. It's awesome to be inspiring to people. I have found a lot of inspiration in so many of you fellow decorators over the years. Tock and Nefaria were the 2 that made me finally decide I wanted to attempt posting my homes on the Homeshow forum. I was a scaredy cat before that. LOL I've been decorating now since 2006, But I didn't attempt to post about any of my houses until 2008.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks! I shall try to do honor to your Tardis design, though I am curious about the fellow on Skyfire's. :)

Tock, yeah, he was amazing! Has anyone heard from him recently? I think Nefaria's still on, somewhere, right?

Uwk