Copying Someone Else's Work

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Wizzam, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Llieam Well-Known Member

Just want to make this statement:

All properties by Warehouse (TM) and its affiliates and assigns and licensors are trademarked and may be registered in some jurisdictions. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Warehouse, Warehousehomes, Warestrader and almost every toon starting with "LL" on the Maj"Dul (TM) server are also registered trademarks. By way of the installation, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise use of the decorators work, you are agreeing to be legally bound by the herein contained terms of the this license agreement.

This product or products are herby protected by copyright laws, as well as any other intellectual property laws. This product is licensed and not sold.

That aside, hope this gave you all a smile. I think that when someone flatters another decorator with their work or variation of it its great, and should be something that is shared with the decorator, not just lifted from their work. I am sorry you had this happen to you and I want to go on record to say that it is even more surprising to me, that someone would do this without even thinking that Wizzam's fantastic work could be passed off as their own without her(or anyone else for that matter) knowing about it.

AND NOW A DISCLAIMER - THIS IS A FUN POST - I AM NOT TRYING TO CREATE DRAMA!!!

My 2 coppers worth,

LL
    AKA
    WARE
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

This, I already do. I always put a book of acknowledgements in each of my homes thanking those who have inspired me and whose ideas I may have borrowed/stolen. Because I don't always remember who I got the idea from and because I don't always know if the person I borrowed the idea from was the original creator of said idea, I always make sure in the end to thank all of the Norrathian decorators. This way, even if I inadvertently leave someone out who should have been acknowledged, they are still included.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and as was pointed out to me in a previous acknowledgement for one of my homes, I made the mistake of acknowledging the wrong decorator (unbeknownst to me) and when it was brought to my attention, I immediately posted my error and thanked the person who should have received the credit. There was some misunderstanding in that situation, because the person who was supposed to have decorated the home ended up having severe medical complications and the other person had decorated it instead, and not knowing about the medical complications, I was under the assumption that the person who did the decorating was just an alt of the original decorator.
  3. Merriel Well-Known Member

Warehouse, I am going to steal ALL your ideas and replicate ALL your homes and claim them as my own. Sue me, if you like!

Hehe, all kidding aside, you know I love you! You have my permission to duplicate any of my own builds if you like. As for team {DVC}, you will first have to obtain permission from Vasciagio and Ceyarrecks, who are the more talented decorators in our team. :D

I can hardly wait for you all to see our latest build. :)
  4. JesDyr Well-Known Member

I remember creating a warehouse back when you had to use scaffolding to raise items off the ground. I am going to claim Prior Art. ( I know I have screenshots of that house, but not on my website).With that said .. Daybreak owns it all anyway :p
  5. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I think maybe you understood what I was saying. I didn't mean someone stole my video. I did make a video of a house that I later found out the design of it was stolen from my friend. It had been long over a year since I had toured friend's house and did think wow this house looks familiar but I see a ton of houses and lots of them more than once. I was later notified that the house video tour I did was stolen design. So what I was trying to say was that if I find out someone has stolen another person's design like Wizzam and a couple other people mentioned in here, I will not be doing any video tours of their houses and posting on my youtube channel. If I already have done a video tour of a thief's house, I will remove all of the videos done for the thief regardless if that specific house was stolen. In the case where I already had done a video and found out it was a stolen design from my friend, I removed all of the thief's video tours (had like 4 or 5 tours of the decorator's houses).It was such a shame cuz the houses I think were the thief's actual work was amazing so scratching my head why they stole in the first place. To my knowledge the person never apologized to my friend.

There is no need for me to get youtube involved. Nobody copied my video. Each of us videographers all have our own style and besides that we are basically reacting to a decorators amazing artwork. The only issue I had at the beginning of multiple people doing video tours was to get Niboota's video tour list completed first since people had been waiting a long time. After that the more video tours of a house the better. Cuz who doesn't like hearing from multiple people thoughts on our artwork? Even those of us that do how to videos...everyone explains things differently.
  6. Febrith Well-Known Member

Thank you Oaky for reminding me I meant to take down that person's videos - I'd forgotten all about it (if I don't write things down they don't get done!)
  7. Kenana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened again! I hope you are planning to leave your wonderful Funeral Home up, Wiz. I would hate to see a beautiful work of art go away because of a poorly forged copy.

Since I read about what happened to Oaky recently I have started putting a book at the entrance of my houses thanking the decorator(s) and acknowledging the idea or item that was inspired by them. It only takes a few minutes and if I can't remember where I saw something I will just thank the community in general for the inspiration. I am truly inspired each time I tour whether in person or by video.

I have always believed that most people are honest in their daily doings whether in RL or in game. Unfortunately there are always going to be a few that will try to float themselves on someones else's efforts. I say we celebrate the doers and ignore the floaters as much as possible. So, I'm going to go see your wonderful funeral home right now! /Hugs to you Wiz. You are and have always been a great source of inspiration to me!

Edit: Yep! such a lovely place and that floor!!! Wowza! I'm glad I went back for a re-visit :)
  8. kianne Well-Known Member

LOL its floater........ bwhahaha they dont need any more fibre in their diet LOL... quick get the bucket and flush it!
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ewwww... :p

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't the whole "it's on the Internet [well, an online community, anyway]; therefore, it's FREE. Or should be" attitude. This is why, if I'm going to practice writing and post any of it online, it's only going to be for fan sites, where I don't own any of the copyrights or anything (Disney, for example, has far better lawyers than anything I could afford), and let any thieves try messing with The Mouse rather than lifting anything original of mine...because it definitely happens out there. :-/

I'm just sad to see its prevalence over the years even here. :(

Uwk
    Ocarinah, Wizzam and Moena like this.
  10. Lucus Well-Known Member

IMHO the issue with thieves and some other sorts of people are they fully know what is right and wrong is they don't care if something is right or wrong, they are so self-absorbed that they only care whether there is any risk of punishment or not and don't even consider how their actions or desires can hurt people.

if you could get suspended or banned in this game for stealing people's layouts(or worse), likely you see a few less thieves. because some of them would not like the punishment (or even the risk of punishment being) meted out to them.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Prissetta and 3 others like this.
  11. Wizzam Well-Known Member

I've just logged in and I checked the leaderboards like always to see if their home is still there and it is not. Unless I'm blind, it looks like they've unpublished it. But I do not have any mail on any of my toons.
    I'm so super grateful for all of the support from everyone! Hopefully they took it down and realized it was wrong and don't do this to anyone else.
    Moena, Ocarinah, Lucus and 5 others like this.
  12. Febrith Well-Known Member

Wow result! I bet that person didn't expect to be called out (good on you Wiz), nor to be so publicly vilified by so many. They are probably now shrunken and shriveled and cringing in a basement somewhere considering the cost of name and guild name changing potions. Shame you didn't get any kind of explanation or apology - but maybe it will come.

In the meantime, I absolutely agree with Moena - it gave the opportunity for another visit to yours and that floor IS amazing!:)
    Moena, Ocarinah, Spindle and 4 others like this.
  13. Kokorobosoi Active Member

Well I'm glad the house came down :) though there really needs to be an apology to you.
  14. Springelf Active Member

Well how depressing :(. I am glad that they took it down. I am new to decorating, well 2 years perhaps...but I play on TLE servers and we have like .05% of whats on live. So I often go to live to see what people have done. Which is depressing since we dont have the cool stuff :confused: . I dont think I have ever copied anyone anything like this person did. I am sure I have gotten ideas and perhaps did...idk like a tub or fireplace...that I saw someplace. Like tonight I was wandering on live servers to see what people have done in Maj'Dul...we just got DoF. I just wanted idea how rooms were set up, how the outside was done. I hope I dont offend anyone at some point. When I see some houses...its like this person is a Master Decorator and I am a newbie scrub lol. I guess I hope some of the aesthetics rubs off . Hopefully with each house I get better....if only I could figure out that damn program (numbers ahh). :p
    Moena, Ocarinah, Lucus and 4 others like this.
  15. Wizzam Well-Known Member

To be completely honest, most of my ideas stem off of things that newer decorators have done. Once you've been decorating for so long, fridges look like fridges and windows look like windows. They all kinda have the same flow to them. But when a newer decorator publishes something, they see that fridge or that window in a different view. They put a new angle on it that I hadn't seen before or a different block that I hadn't thought to use. Never doubt yourself because you could be the inspiration that helps someone else.
    And good luck with the program! I'm assuming you mean the editor. I tried so hard to learn it for the longest time and finally just had a friend layout a ceiling then I sat and played with those ceiling tiles for days. Some people do great just learning from someone else, like when Gracee taught those classes. I, on the other hand, never follow the crowd when it comes to ease. Go figure! If you need any help with it, make sure to speak up! I'm a terrible teacher, but there are those in here that have that patience and knowledge and are super helpful. You'll get it :)
    Moena, Ocarinah, Merriel and 2 others like this.
  16. kianne Well-Known Member

The only way people will be offended is if you copy the Indore thing with out first letting the artist know and it failing to accknowlage them and or if you change it and not give kudos for inspiration. .. so don't worrie if you borrow ideas that's why we share.. to help others and to inspire others.....wiz has inspired me in a few if my builds as has cheribomb and i think it was Danielle being the awesomest decorators i know of... my last 3 builds are my fave as well as my gh and guild village and i only got better with practice and determinations have fun and inspire others too
    Ocarinah, Sapphirius, Merriel and 2 others like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ignorance can actually help with items, sometimes! Either that, or not having access to all the goodies that one does know about, since they're either all on the Marketplace, or only available with 87,000,000,000,000,000etc. faction or an equal amount of plat on the Broker. In that case, especially if you're under the gun with a contest or swap (seriously: it does help creativity to be desperate! Trust me on this...), you gotta find something else to use, and eventually come up with your own ideas. I blush to admit how many of my decorators/Carpenters on my servers actually don't have the Decorative Axes book, for example (every one of my toons on Test [I think; it's been awhile, and I've come up with some new ones since] has it, simply because we have a permanent NPC Guide there [can we PLEASE get that on every server, for just this quest? Please?]), and so I have to use other things for faucets and toilet flush handles and so forth.

For shower heads, I often use the Goblet-type glasses/mugs; the ones you can make for Bristlebane's Day work well (Goblet of the Grand Prankster's a fave). For sink faucets, that depends on the style and location; lots of keg spouts work fine, while anything else, including Teapot spouts, can work too. Or just say it's magic, especially in the case of "sinks" that already have water in them already; put in a stopper of some sort in the bottom and a couple of whatevers for handles and there you go. ;->

For toilet flushers, I'll either use a super-modern toilet, with a big push button at the top of the tank, or a super-old indoor plumbing set-up with a gravity-fed mechanism involving an elevated chest of whatever sort (usually something metal, or a good chunk of the construction, at least; if we had ceramic "boxes," that would be perfect); a Tinkered Distillery tube/pipe; and a Frostfell bauble, with the "greenery" hidden, for a flush pull on the tank. That last bit can be tricky, since you can rarely convince the Bauble that it's actually hanging from a "ceiling," and when you do, it won't want to move up properly. Not without old-fashioned scaffolding tricks with a horizontal Tile... :-/

As far as programs go, I've always liked the Notepad Method myself, which can be a little daunting at first glance. Just remember: the coordinates are nothing different than what's in the game already, which you follow to get to a Point of Interest if using Zam or Wiki to find anything. And if you want to reduce any of the big scary-looking numbers down to a couple of digits after the decimal point, like from:

123.45678911, 10.12131415, 16.17181921

down to:

123.46, 10.12, 16.17 (exact same form as in the in-game coordinates on the map! :D)

you probably can and no one would notice/care except maybe the computer. :)

I mainly use the other two (both JesDyr's and Sennen's [under Open Source Layout Editor]) as fast/quick Notepads; all three have their strengths. For me, the greatest thing about JesDyr's is being able to move objects not just N/S/E/W but also NW/SE/etc. that even Sennen's can't do. ;->

If worst comes to worst, just go with the in-game Decorator Mode, though I for one detest having to use Pitch, ever (sorry, Shanette! :-/), will do anything else to avoid it, and will often jump into, say, Sennen's or even Notepad if I'm not too far along, just to get a Pitched thing's angle set properly and not "dance." :-/

Uwk
    who remembers a time when we didn't even have Decorator Mode ("You kids these days! You have no idea..."), and we had to do a lot using various heights of tables, bookshelves, etc. as "scaffolding"... ;->
  18. Merriel Well-Known Member

What Wizzam said! +++

Vasciagio is an expert with using the editor. He very patiently taught me how to use the circle tool to create a dome in my guild hall, and thanks to his expertise, we were able to create the 'gem' at the top of the tower in my granddaughter's starter isle prestige home, Fyreskayle's Jurassic Safari on Maj'dul server. I am sure if you were able to create a baby toon on Maj'dul server, and throw a few Kerra tidbits and treats his way, he would be willing to help you learn how to use it as well. :D
    Moena, Ocarinah, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  19. Wizzam Well-Known Member

Ooo that circle tool is the bane of my existence! Well, that and those dumb acorn houses... I might steal Vas one day.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

/shrug I just did it the old-fashioned way...started with a "rounded" (ROFLMAO!) tile, lined up a bunch of regular square tiles along each of the 10 (sigh...) edges, then figured out the angles... :D

Uwk
    /ducking...
    Moena, Ocarinah and Merriel like this.