Contested Need to Go

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-slippery, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Ocello Guest

Khurghan wrote:
    QFE
  2. ARCHIVED-ErikGunner Guest

Easy contested that didn't spawn hard after killing it was a terrible idea, but contested aren't contested on PvE servers to begin with.
  3. ARCHIVED-mkd1201 Guest

Notsovilepriest@Nagafen wrote:
    also want to add to this: wasting resources on raid mobs that essentially only one guild per server will ever kill was a terrible idea. putting them in an instance will add more content for all raiders and solve lag.
  4. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

I contest that statement.
    contested

con·test

1. a race, conflict, or other competition between rivals, as for a prize.
    2. struggle for victory or superiority.

I have witnessed countless occasions where guilds were trading pulls on open-world raid mobs. The contest was simple, be the first to kill the target, to obtain victory. This by definition, is contested. I have witnessed countless occasions where guilds were racing to be the first to achieve a functional and sufficient raid force at an open-world raid mob, to be able to kill it. Once again, matching the definition of contested.

Infact, no where in the definition of the word contested, is there a clause about having to be able to kill each other at the same time to make it contested. Combined with terminology used in EQ1 and countless other MMOs, you're wrong.

Unless I am mistaken, PVP servers were released early 2006? A tacked-on addition to a game that was not designed with PVP in mind. The gameplay style was not forced on anyone, it was a concious and deliberate decision for anyone who signed up to play on the said servers. The inclusion of PVP does add an additional factor into attacking contested mobs, but it does not change the fact as to wether or not the mob was contested, or not, to begin with.

So, when a dictionary, pure-version EQ2, EQ1 and countless other MMOs all indicate you are wrong with your statement, I can only suggest reconsidering your stance.
  5. ARCHIVED-ErikGunner Guest

It may be true that PvE servers had contested if more than 1 guild that killed them were on the server without transfer, but even then, it's really really IMO
  6. ARCHIVED-jjlo69 Guest

Has this change gone in yet ?????

Uncle
  7. ARCHIVED-Khurghan Guest

Uncle@Mistmoore wrote:
    It's on the to-do list along with avatar cloaks ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-Xill Guest

slippery wrote:
    Can you blame people for "demonizing" you guys? I mean you open your post calling any guild less then your's "scrubs". You are kind of asking for people to hate you... Even if you are "nice" by leaving mobs up that you dont need so others can kill them... which isnt really nice just a common courtesy unless your a total ****. So yeah... most people I know that hate HC raiders hate them becuase of the attitude first. Hell even some HC raiders hate others because of that lol.
    And really... for how easy you guys say everything is to try to then act superior is kind of silly...
  9. ARCHIVED-VikingGamer Guest

I am sure someone has already suggested this or something substantially similar but I didn't care to read the whole thread.
    First put the contested in an instance so that the lag can be separated from the main zone and more easily controlled.
    Put the hardmode contested in a shared instance so that it is still contested. Possibly limit the number of distinct raid groups that can be in at a time but allow for at least 3 compeating teams. Why limit the number of groups? only as a means for dealing with zone lag. Ideally there should not be a limit. Or it should be very high.
    Make the easymode take your group to a private instance with a lock out timer. In other words, easymode is non-contested. I think most mom and pop guilds will not care if they have to compete or not, they probably just want the kill. If you really want to compete with the other guilds on the server, come ready for the hardmode.
  10. ARCHIVED-mkd1201 Guest

VikingGamer wrote:
    but is that gonna solve the lag? still 72 in zone.
  11. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

mkd1201 wrote:
    And honestly in in our own private instances we still deal with lag.
    Lag has more to do with a server issues then having 50-75 people in a zone.
  12. ARCHIVED-slippery Guest

Did this change just get patched? Ox was up right before server down and not up after the servers came back up.
  13. ARCHIVED-mkd1201 Guest

slippery wrote:
    let's hope so...been over due since T6
  14. ARCHIVED-Sir_Halbarad Guest

Would it be so hard to have the kill of the easy mode version be the prereq for the hard mode version to spawn?
    That way "mom and pop" guilds can get their contested mobs while HC guilds can get their hard modes?
  15. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

EasternKing wrote:
    Tbh, you have no idea what you are talking about. Mistmoore is pretty much the worst server right now in terms of player population and recruitment. I do not expect some 3rd stringer to understand those two important factors, just laying it out there for others who do.

Also theres the whole fact that Ascendant was on Unrest, but I dont think you understand what that means either.

But, please continue discussing contested mobs, something you and your guild could not know anything about.
  16. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

Seems to me, there were several times with Avatars, several raiding guilds took turns on Unrest trying to defeat the Avatar. It was "friendly" competition. And it was fun. At least this occured on Unrest, after a period of time when Avatars were locked down.
    Having an easy vs hard mode contested mob encourages those guilds who are not hard core raiders to try their luck - something above the instance rotation, yet not as demanding as the normal raiding zones.
    Yet, I can see both sides of the issue. One doesn't want another "lock down" to occur as HC raiders will do for those contested mobs. And one can understand the encouragement of more peeps to try out a x24 raid mob at level when they don't have the raid gear.
    The answer? There are several good ones already posted in this thread from separate instances to a choice of easy/hard mode by the raid. The contested is fine - nothing wrong with the premise. Perhaps if the easy mode is killed, the respawn time is much shorter - say 3 days. If the hard mode is killed, the respawn is 7 days. And if a guild wants to camp it, it's no different than camping the Avatars of the past.
    With Halas Reborn GU56, there will be 2 more raid zones added. The HC raiders will be rushing to see if they can get the bragging rights for top 10 WW and top 3 server kills. Yet, in two months, no one on unrest has been able to totally clear all the raid zones of SF, including hardmodes and reformings and 4 runes and w/e.
    Heck, and you are crying over a contested mob that encourages non-raiders and casual raiders to try their hand at something they just may have a chance to kill. This game is not only about HC raiders which prolly makes up a small proportion of the game - but about a lot of other types of playstyle.
    Competition is fine - discouragement and "lock downs" aren't. As for bragging rights? They are fleeting, indeed.
    As to lag problems, ya - they were there with the Avatars when peeps would come out to watch - and they were there with the Headless Horseman of Nights of the Dead fame. The lag probs are a headache to SoE and it's their responsilbilty to resolve those issues.
  17. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Alvane@Unrest wrote:
    Only HM Fish and 4 Rune Theer left!
    As for casual guilds killing easy mode contested, I could care less. I didn't care about Dominus mobs I'm not going to care about some easy mode contested. What I do care about is when that easy mode contested dies and takes away the ability for my guild to even pull the hard mode mob that is aimed at progression guilds like mine.
    The mobs should be seperate, killing an easy mob should have no bearing on whether or not I can kill a hard mode mob.
  18. ARCHIVED-EasternKing Guest

Crismorn wrote:
    Here we go again, how many times do you have to be told ?
    I know plenty thanks, while you were still rping the game i was killing end game content for years. I know you left oasis for easy life on MM then left MM because you didnt like having to form up outside raid times for contested.
    and Afaik didnt you quit again? for like the 10th time in the last 18months?
    upto the end of TSO i have killed every single contested mob in EQ2 and did so before you did. so again if i am some noob scrub, what does that make you? try thinking next time before you open your mouth, i know its a novel concept for you.
  19. ARCHIVED-ErikGunner Guest

EasternKing wrote:
    To be fair, Even top guilds carry some dead weight, Not saying you are or aren't since I don't know you, but just because you have 20+ people that can carry your slack, doesn't make you any better.
  20. ARCHIVED-EasternKing Guest

I know what you are saying and arent trying to flame me personally.
    But i am pretty sure for the last 4 years i have been approached by every HC guild i have been in, and was asked to app, repeated times before i said ok and did it. i might suck hardcore at typing, i do not suck hardcore at easyq2, being good at this game is nothing to be proud of, it just further drives home how terrible most people are at it.
    edited : Typo's :(