Contested Need to Go

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-slippery, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-slippery Guest

I'm absolutely done with Contested. This is the worst failure you guys have ever produced. It enrages me beyond words. Your servers absolutely in no form or fashion support contested mobs, you need to just do away with them. I can't work on the hard contested because the game comes to a screaching halt with more then 20 people in the overland zoens, so I either have the option of leaving it up and praying some random scrub guild doesn't kill the easy version (which they do), or killing the easy version myself for loot no one even wants because it is terrible.
    Great options. I love waiting 5 days for a mob to pray there is no lag so I can kill the hard version.
    Either split the versions, do away with the easy so everyone is on the same playing field, or put them in instances. This is epicly stupid.
  2. ARCHIVED-Darkonx Guest

Split the mobs imo. Have a hardmode, and an easymode roaming around. Having to fight 6s+ lag + hardmode contested is not a realistic option. That and the easymodes are so laughably easy to kill, that any guild can kill them to prevent us from killing hardmode, makes the mobs nearly unkillable.
  3. ARCHIVED-Khurghan Guest

Putting easy mode-able versions of contesteds in so mom and pop guilds can kill them as well was one of the worst ideas in the history of EQ2 raiding.
    If I recall from beta one of the measures to lower easy-mode griefing was shorter respawn times if the mob was killed in easy mode, however this seems to have been changed (esp in the case of Gimptasticus) so we have to wait the best part of a week if mom and pop kill him and then pray that lag is below 5 seconds (we get spikes of 10 seconds at times even at off-peak times) before trying trying to kill the "proper" versions.
    Great idea guys.. really great.
  4. ARCHIVED-slippery Guest

Nothing better then being able to put out 700k dps in an instance but not be able to kill the contested you need 450k for. Except not being able to pull that contested because the 1.5 groupable version got killed and having to wait 5 days.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

100% agree.
    First off the servers are NOT good enough to support raiding in either SF or SH. Trying to raid those anytime outside of maybe 4am is just a chore of impossibility thanks to the ridiculous spell lag.
    Second off, easy mode contested is by far the worst idea ever, and the lag only adds to this terrible design decision that multiple players begged you to move away from in beta.
    What needs to be done is SOE needs to admit their mistake and failure of implementation and both Oxdaxius and Klaaktus need to be moved into a single mob instance, that way both modes are killable, the loot is actually getting distributed and players aren't punished by not only this terrible multi-mode contested design but also the complete joke called "server performance" in regards to both SF overland zones.
    Also before anyone cries "competition":
    It isn't competition unless we're killing the same mob. Currently my guild is blocked from hard mode contested not only by the terrible servers but also by guilds killing the easy mode version of these mobs.
    Either just remove them from the game totally or instance them, I have no faith in your ability to fix the servers making these hard mode mobs killable.
  6. ARCHIVED-vinere Guest

Why dont they just move ox into the vasty deep, and move Klax into the hole... that would solve 90% of the problem =I
  7. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Gaige wrote:
    I can't believe I agree with gage here, but I do. Contested mobs should be among the Hardest to Beat in game, as such giving them an easy mode is rediculas. If they are part of a quest line, lock an easy mode version of them off in a room somewhere, but the one running wild should definatly be very difficult, and should have its weaknesses protected, befor leaving its cave.
  8. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

If these contested mobs are such losers, why aren't you guys in a raid zone doing something more productive? Maybe you are not the intended audience for these mobs?
  9. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Right. Raid guilds that killed all content previously, including all contested content, aren't the audience for the hard mode contested mobs that drop T3 set pieces.
    Thanks for your worthless input.
    Also: All instanced content is dead to our guild except for one broken mob and Evil Rhoen Theer. We're also routinely locked out of everything for 2 of our 5 raid days with nothing to do.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tehom Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    People who killed all the avatars last expansion are definitely the intended audience for the hardmode versions of the contesteds. The lag problem isn't new, but it's much worse this expansion because the zones old contesteds were in before were usually desolate newbie zones. Now they're in the most populated zones in the game, and trying to do a contested with 70-100 people in zone is generally a nightmare, especially if the overall population is high (it always seemed that time of day and overall server pop was as much a factor as individual zone population, probably due to load balancing).
    I feel in their current form they're basically wasted content. One thing they don't seem to grasp is you can't ignore lag as a difficulty increaser on populated servers; players won't, so it factors into their decision making process on whether to spend time on a given encounter. But they itemize the encounters based on their difficulty in a lagless environment, which generally means they'll be worthless compared to the effort you put into it (effort here being defined as arranging a 24 person raid to get up at 6am to work on a mob in lag comparable to what you see in instances). To me, the weird itemization and the mindboggling idea of having hard and easy modes for the contesteds suggest they really don't know what they're doing with them anymore. Just move them to instances so the time spent designing them isn't wasted.
  11. ARCHIVED-slippery Guest

I still fully stand by my stance here. I'd like to put it out to Dave that this is in no way a fun mechanic.
  12. ARCHIVED-Xill Guest

slippery wrote:
    Im sure its fun for the people killing the easy modes for the first time... or even just killing a contested for the first time.
    Probably lots of fun...
  13. ARCHIVED-Xanrn Guest

Put them all in 1 mob mini instances.
    Break the keys to said instances into 3 pieces and put on Heroic Instance bosses drop table. (but not the Vigilants zones because they already unlock x2 zone).
    For instance the 3 Vasty Deep bosses each drop a piece which unlocks easy mode O-whatever instance in the Vasty Deep.
    Make an item(again broken down into pieces) and/or quest that activates hard-mode stick in hard-mode raid mob drop table or quest requires all hard mode dead.
    More instance raid content and casuals can get the easy mode mobs with little effort.
    Hard Mode is a treat for people who are killing hard mode mobs.
    And killing contested mobs in SF is not fun even the first time.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Xill wrote:
    Its not fun for those blocked from even pulling the HM because other players are able to kill a complete different encounter and despawn the HM version as well.
  15. ARCHIVED-Malicorp Guest

Simple solution. Killing Easy mode spawns Hard mode. At the end of the total __ day timer, if Hard mode is still up, it de-pops and Easy mode respawns.
    Casual guilds get their shot at Easy mode and it has no impact on the other Hard mode and vice versa.
  16. ARCHIVED-Hecula Guest

So you want them to make the contested easier so you can go back to one-pulling and locking them down in hard mode, thus ****blocking all the "scrub" guilds just like TSO and ROK? Got it.
    Just proves my point in beta - the one or 2 server lockdown guilds don't want competition. They want Avatars 3.0 and back to the status quo. Case in point: what do you do when a "scrub" guild starts forming up at a contested? Pull hard mode because the easy-mode gear is trivial to you, or just kill it on easy to ****block those scrubs? No need to answer - that was rhetorical and everyone already knows what you're going to say.
    Lag is lag - deal with it or don't deal with it. Pretty much every contested in the game has been in an overland zone.
  17. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

Welcome to Eq1 style raiding contested.
    the easymode contested may not present a challenge to you, but I promise you to guilds like mine that are still working through palace and labs and such...they are quite the challenge. your right, the 'mom and pop' guilds and the 'raiders but not at avatar level' can, and will, probably beat you to these mobs in thier 'easy' modes to kill. frankly there's a LOT more of those guilds then your hardcore call listing avatar killing guilds around.
    So your options are A) trigger/kill hardmode when you see it up or B) hope that the 'lesser' guilds don't kill it. btw, the 'lesser' guilds you talk about probably DO use that loot you think is so inferior...and it's probably an upgrade for them.
    much like the Eq1 races to contested where you had horrible lag becuase there was 200 people in a zone all running for the same mob...since there was no 'raid limit' on people you could bring. 3 guilds vying for mob, one with 75 people, one with 60 one with 40, all racing through the zone for a constested raidmob as fast as they can. you learn to deal with it, or not bother with the mob until the other guilds killing it are done with it.
  18. ARCHIVED-Tehom Guest

Hecula wrote:
    A nickel and a dollar are both money, but that doesn't mean that they are equal. Likewise, lag may exist in greater quantities in different situations, and different overland zones may lag in different amounts.
    The lag for contesteds now is not unprecedented, but it is much worse than the average was in previous expansions, particularly on any populated server. Normally you only saw truly bad lag either on primetime/weekends of the busier overland zones, but they very stupidly decided to put contesteds in the zones that'd have the heaviest loads. The game simply doesn't support contesteds on any heavily populated server in a satisfactory manner, not unless you're wildly overpowered for them. Since they're itemizing contesteds the same as any mob of equivalent on-paper difficulty, they're ignoring both lag and scarcity as factors in loot value, which largely removes any incentive for dealing with these additional problems.
    What they -should- have done is moved the new contested mobs to original game deserted zones, similar to how Avatars were. Had them be omginvadersfromUltera, or what the heck ever. Who cares. But putting them in the busiest zones in the game was an amazingly stupid decision.
  19. ARCHIVED-Xill Guest

Gaige wrote:
    And it would still be fun for the other guilds if you did kill the HM? And you are not blocked from attempting it if you get to it first. Thats the point of contested. You both have an equal shot at the mob. But one of you has a chance at doing a much more difficult version of it for much better loot. Sounds fair to me honestly since you both have a fair chance at fighting the mob at your skill level and earning the apropriate loot. I mean the better guilds still have an advantage that they can block others from even attempting the EM.
    The lag thing on the other hand is a completely different story but as time goes by and the server populations diminish like they always do it will become better. Or if they manage to fix the DB's. But the people killing the EM have to deal with the same lag and if thats all they can kill then they are probably struggling nearly as much as you.
    So in the end... QQ suck it up and if you really wanted to kill the HM then you could. Try harder. I am sure if the "scrub" guilds were complaining about the same thing thats about all the response they would get from you guys lol.
    *I see these mobs being more contested then any previous expac's contested. And why do they have to be the hardest things to kill and drop the best loot? Just because they are rare? Rare does not always = Best...
  20. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Just don't bother with these mobs if they aren't fun for you and your guild. When they see half the servers aren't even pulling the hard modes, much less killing them, they'll either nerf the hard mobs so that no amount of lag can make them difficult, devote even fewer (if any) resources to contesteds next expansion, or at least do away with the easy/hard mode contesteds next expansion.