Contested Need to Go

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-slippery, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Leovinus Guest

Gaige wrote:
    Seriously, dude, you need to come down off your pedestal and realize it's not as easy to build up a guild that can take out this stuff with ease as it is to constantly jump to whatever uber guild is already doing it.
  2. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

Korrupt@Najena wrote:
    While you're at it I want the chance to kill every single contested mob in the game before anyone else all the time. I don't care if it's a ^ or an epic, I don't like being ******** when I'm beat to a mob!
    /QQ
  3. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Alvane@Unrest wrote:
    'Seperate encounters are not dependant upon each other.' Really? Are you a dev now? How do you know for certain? This HM and EZ contested mechanic is brand new so wouldn't there be no gaming definition to go off of as it never existed until now?
    Combat ends the moment the first dies, the encounter is ended. If they were the same encounter as you state, then combat would never end and it would advance to hardmode without the encounter breaking, like all of the instanced hardodes.
    I don't understand what kind of a point you are trying to make with this statement, in any case if that statement were true then ACT would have countless seperate encounters listed for Oxdaxius due to the waves of adds that spawn. Oxdaxius and his adds are all condsensed into a single encounter, ACT does not seperate the encounter each time a set of adds spawn because they are all part of the same encounter. It does however create a new encounter for when HM spawns and attacks.
    This again, is not correct. What I have stated is less of an opinion than what you have spewed, as it is actually backed up by what can be casually observed of the game. Everything you have said regarding this is more assumption than truth as it is based upon opinion and possibly second hand information of questionable accuracy when what I have said is based upon observed action from the game itself.
    This is actually kind of silly, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
    And...Star Trek? A poor choice of quote in my opinion, it implies that either your self esteem is so low that nothing affects you or that you are in fact...not human and thus have no say in this discussion as a being that is somehow alive but internally dead.
  4. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Leovinus wrote:
    A horse doesn't have to be very high when the mob in question can be killed with six players.
    As for "constantly" jumping - blame SOE, not my fault my last four guilds DIED due to players quitting for other games.
  5. ARCHIVED-Leovinus Guest

Gaige wrote:
    Okay, mixed metaphors, but whatever. The mob in question is the hard mode actually, which you claim any guild that can't kill them whenever they choose is terrible.
  6. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Leovinus wrote:
    Oh sorry I thought you were talking about the easymode, I think sans lag more ppl could kill hardmode than you think when you take into consideration what some lower tier guilds are parsing on Rathgar as the fights are similiar.
    That's why if you have hardmode stay up after easymode dies you'll see more contests for hardmode because it would be up when SH is least laggy.
  7. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

You guys are hopeless. The encounters are fine. They're being contested. Working as intended. Good luck with the QQ, maybe they will give into the tears next expansion when these mobs are no longer relevant.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Rahatmattata wrote:
    SOE hired you?
  9. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Nice three more posters spouting off even more misinformation about an encounter they have zero knowledge of.
    I knew you denied apps would get me back one of these days. I just hope SoE does not take you guys seriously.
  10. ARCHIVED-thajoka Guest

Rahatmattata wrote:
    You are obviously not even being serious about the topic anymore. There is no way that is even beleivably someones true opinion.

But in the event you are serious, god help you, there are not many ring events where you can kill the ring to despawn the final boss. Terrible comparison because it is flawed and you did not think your example through theroughly.
    And is this guy like a devs child or something? How come this Ratma joker can come on this thread and just call everyone some slanderous adjective, spell words with z's instead of s's at the end and drop the phrase QQ every post. Devs are now putting up with the kind of banter that takes place on Flames, the site they prohibit linking to? Pretty paradoxial.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kunaak Guest

Gaige wrote:
    nah, hes just a moron, trying to piss everyone in this thread off.
    remember what admiral ackbar said "ITS A TRAP".
  12. ARCHIVED-Leovinus Guest

Crismorn wrote:
    And you, of course are simply saying the same thing you've been saying for the last 30 odd pages. The "misinformation" as you put it, is actually just a different way of looking at the situation that you just refuse to see. There's almost no actual claims of information, just people speculating on SoE's motives and you refuse to believe that maybe this system is actually working for them now and making contesteds worth the investment (requiring an unstated change of opinion from earlier in the thread).
    I'd actually be all right with separating the Normal/Hard encounters, if I believed that HC guilds would actually leave the normals alone. I'm fairly certain that without the deterrent of despawning the HM, HC guilds on at least half the servers would simply kill Normal mode asap (which, as you all point out, is easy and 1 groupable for those guilds) and selling the loot, just to wait till better server conditions to kill the HM.
    And by the way, I've never been denied from a guild in my life, but that's really not the point.

ETA: At this point it'd probably just be best to let the thread die. Nobody's said anything new in over 30 pages, we know SoE is aware of the issue and has some intentions (whatever they are currently), and it's more or less about 8 people talking past each other. Nobody's gonna convince anyone of anything at this point.
  13. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Leovinus wrote:
    How am I going to argue with someone who has deluded themselves into thinking that they understand how an encounter they have never fought works and then when challenged they refuse to even consider that their second-hand source is wrong.
    Seriously people, just stop, you obviously have no idea how either of these encounters work let alone the vast difference of difficulty so just stop posting about them like you have any clue
  14. ARCHIVED-Leovinus Guest

Crismorn wrote:
    I love how you didn't reply to anything in my post when you made yours, you simply (again) said the same thing you've been saying all along. Claiming your "opposition" has no relevant knowledge and is thus obviously wrong is the mark of someone who has stopped thinking.

And now I'm going to take my own advice and stop posting here. Seriously, we all know that nobody is going to have their minds changed, as many can't even acknowledge that there are valid opposing viewpoints.
  15. ARCHIVED-Tehom Guest

Leovinus wrote:
    Pointing out their ignorance may not be a good argument, but it may also be factually correct. At least one of the repeated posters doesn't have any level 90 characters according to eq2players searches, and others seem to have no idea how the encounters work given extremely flawed analogies.
    All the high end players know -how- they work. They just think that they're a flawed design because they pit people against one another of vastly different capabilities and with different 'win' conditions. The difference in capabilities and conditions for one side achieving victory is absolutely indisputable, what can be argued is whether that sort of mismatch represents a 'contest' at all, or is in any way a satisfactory design.
  16. ARCHIVED-Pervis Guest

Leovinus wrote:
    They are ignoring what you are saying because you have no basis for sanying anything.
    If I were to publish an article in a scientific journal, reguardless of its content, my credintials would make anything contained within the article worthless. Even if I were factually correct, me having no realivent credintials means no one will care. If I were to write an article in my area of expertise, even if those same people were reading it, it would have weight behind it.
    If I want people to take my scientific findings seriously, I would have to go out and earn some form of credintials, or find someone that agrees with me and has those credintials and is willing to put their name to my findings.
    The same applies here. If you want anyone to take you seriously when discussing an encounter, at least have some form of experiance with said encounter. If you do not have that experiance, get it. If you can not get it, find someone that has it, and agrees with your opinion on the subject, and get them to post.
    Put simply, this is the way the world works. You speak up on things you know about, and keep quiet on the things you do not know about. If you do not know about something but are concerned about it, get to know it so that you can talk about it.
    Post a screenshot of you in a raid with any T9 contested encounter at 5% HP, and people will listen to what you are saying. They may not agree, but then they will at least comment on what you are saying as opposed to the fact that you should not be saying anything.
  17. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Leovinus wrote:
    Easymode loot isn't worth anything, especially not with multiple guilds selling Toxx legs every night in auction. We can sell Toxx's fighter legs for 1k plat but you think we're going to run out and kill easymode Ox for 20p? Ya right.
  18. ARCHIVED-Xill Guest

You know, I would much rather see them spend dev time working on something that is going to actually effect a majority of the population. Regardless of any of the rest of the crap being spewed in this thread, with the recent layoffs coupled with looming expansion deadlines that I know are approaching I would rather they work on something that most people are going to be able to take part in.
    I also think thats part of the angst you see here in this thread. People askin demanding for changes that are going to effect 5% or less of the population. And before you say where did I get that number, imagine we have 100,000 players in eq2. You would need at least 5,000 people to be actively able to attempt to kill a HM encounter. Even at 50,000 players, you would need 2500. And that just isnt happening.
  19. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Xill wrote:
    Go look at eq2progress for the game as a whole and you'll see how many people raid. Just on that site there are 353 raid guilds which is right under 8,500 players (and that's taking the minimum of 24, most raid guilds have 30 and casual ones can have hundreds). Its not hard to imagine almost half of them killing some sort of hardmode content. Not to mention all the people who raid without using that site.
    Not to mention they already put the manpower into making these contested, we're just asking them to fix the ridiculous mechanic.
  20. ARCHIVED-Leovinus Guest

I know I'm violating what I said, but I just thought I'd pop in one last time to say this. It's obvious that a lot of people aren't interested in actual debate. My arguments (which are more like playing devil's advocate to you hardcores fighting so hard, honestly) aren't going to change your mind, but they might make people who still have open minds think a little. I'm not going to "post a sreenshot of me in a raid with a contested mob at 5%" (or whatever the specific language was), because it doesn't change what I'm saying, and in the realm of this game, doesn't matter in the slightest. I will tell you that I've killed contested this expansion though. If you refuse to believe me, that's your perogative.

I can say this to gaige though. On your server T2 pants and other EM loot may be worth 20p, but on mine there's only one guild selling any T3 stuff, and it's far from every night. On mine and many other servers, a guild that can kill EM with a group or two would very likely do so, in order to sell it, if they didn't have the disincentive of despawning the mob they were truly interested in.