Character and Item Restore for Daybreak Cash

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Wirewhisker, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

MARKETPLACE
    Recently deleted items can now be restored for DBC by using the “Restore Item” tab located in the character window.
    Recently deleted characters can now be restored for DBC at the character select screen by clicking the “Show Deleted” button, then highlighting the deleted character and pressing the “Restore” button.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    Pixistik likes this.
  2. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Do you have a problem with it?
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the fact that they're charging for an automated feature that used to be handled by customer service as part of our subscription?
  4. SandsMans Active Member

5. Thalador Active Member

Now its all about the DBC.. Seriously people? How do I spell greed? D-B-G
  6. Finora Well-Known Member

Before those services were at the whim of the GM that handled your petition. It was never a guarantee you would get your item or character restored especially if you were a frequent petitioner for such things. The vast majority of times (including the one time I ever needed an item restored) the player was told that it was not something the GMs would necessarily do again and to make sure we were careful in the future. It wasn't all that uncommon for some people to get told too bad.

Now you are guaranteed to be able to get your item back if you do something silly like delete it at 3 in the morning instead of putting it in your bag or if you do a drunken rage "quit" and delete your character you can retrieve it after your hangover has gone.

Now that there is a small amount of money involved maybe people will actually be careful?

Of course it doesn't cover accidentally transmuted items.
  7. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Yeah, trying really hard to muster up some sympathy here, but coming up short. Maybe be a bit more careful about what you delete? I dunno. Hell, the fact that you can get stuff back at all is better than some...I've been told I was SOL when I tried to have stuff restored in other games.

How much is it anyway? If it's like $10 to restore a character and $5 to restore an item, I guess I can see why that's kind of crappy.
  8. Kayan New Member

Seriously? Its about taking a business model that wasn't working 100%, and turning it profitable. It's not that difficult to understand. Does it suck when things change? Yep. Do we not always like it? Of course not.

SOE is gone. Get over it.
    Seefar likes this.
  9. Finora Well-Known Member

I think it was $15 for a character when I was on beta and only 90 SC to restore an item.
  10. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

1: "Welcome to DBG Mart...here's your bowl of soup, that will be $5.00."

2: "What about a napkin, in case I make a mistake and spill some?"

1: "That'll be extra."
    Pipsissiwa and Thalador like this.
  11. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

If you think it's so god damned easy why don't you start your own gaming company and give **** away for free. WTF do you expect Kander et al to pay their bills with, Monopoly money?

I mean you idiots complain about layoffs and buyouts, and then when a company tries to make money and become profitable you ***** about that as well.
  12. baconlettuceandtomato Active Member

They haven't yet attained the levels of outrageous greed that caused me to leave Eve Online. I cancelled my accounts a couple years ago when they introduced appearance-only items for your avatar that would only be visible when you were walking around in the station, which you don't do much. They were charging US$70 for a shirt. I don't pay US$70 for real shirts! And you'd only even see it maybe 5% of the time you play the game! And initially, they were only promising that others would be able to see your fancy shirt when they got more code done.

So I'm still horked off at them years later. I still get emails from them too, won't you please come back, we'll give you a free month. I just laugh. Nope, no chance. Not for Eve, and not for any other game they might come up with.

When SOE got bought out, it was a given that they'd lay off half the staff, especially in customer service, and look for any way they could wring more cash out of their games. What was in question, in my mind, was whether they were simply going to milk the game asset or were going to continue to invest in it (with new expasions, etc). So far so good on that front, although, predictably, the first expansion was light on content for the money.

So get used to it, folks. You are now an ATM.
  13. Xevran Well-Known Member

And yet other MMOs manage to do free to play just fine without doing things like this. In fact a good amount of games don't even lock content behind paywalls anymore and still manage to push out more frequent updates than DB. They're doing the same thing with H1Z1, completely miss-understanding how free to play works. The minute they lock BRs behind a subscription that game is going to be a ghost town just like EQ2.
  14. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Name a few. I'm actually interested to know in these success stories. I know that sounds sarcastic but I am actually serious; I'm genuinely interested in figuring out what they did right. Particularly interested in F2P games that aren't propped up by investors.
    Seefar and Avirodar like this.
  15. Malachy Well-Known Member

Well if it's a SOL response versus "I can automate this for you, but charge you for this service"... is it really such a terrible thing that they chose the latter option? I submitted a /petition not long ago for a character restore and the response was them quoting the change in policy once DGC took over stating they will no longer do character restorations. It also took them a full week to respond. Was I upset? Yes. Would I pay for it? Yes. In fact I will be doing this as soon as the update goes live if it isn't a huge fee.

People complained nonstop about SOE customer-service, but /petition nearly always got a timely response for me. They restored characters for me, de-leveled a character for me once when I accidentally leveled it and was in a "level-locked progression guild" and more than once saw a patch note in test/live the following day regarding serious problems I came across in game that they were fixing.

It's clearly a part of the back-end work they are doing to help with migrations and cross-server dungeons that is making it easier; I do not fault them for wanting to make a buck on what, in reality, could be a request responded with "your mistake, bummer."
    Fetish, Seefar and Avirodar like this.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

Before the change of hands, EQ2 customer service was, hands-down, the best I've ever experienced. I was disappointed, but not surprised when most of the CS department was canned. When looking soley at the bottom line, CS looks like pure expense. The same happens in QA departments. The effects of doing w/o are only seen later.. and too often when it is too late to undo the damage it's absence has caused. Here's hoping that senario doesn't play out with EQ2.
    I am mildly annoyed that they're charging to AUTOMATE something they previously included (in a more man-power intensive method) as part of the subscription. On the flip side, at least they ARE providing it.
    Seefar, Jrel, Belenos and 1 other person like this.
  17. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Awwww the joys of the f2p model. Have to make up the money somehow...sadly those of us who sub get the short end of the stick.
    Pixistik and Wirewhisker like this.
  18. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Yet they have a PR Manager and they don't advertise.....
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

Public relations and marketing are different beasts :)
  20. Trivursar Active Member

And while other games do F2play, anything wildly successful still has a backup 'preferred' method of paying. I.E. Kronos or WoW tokens. Point being, if the game is F2play, then the powerhouse behind it doesn't make any money. No money means no quality customer service, in game features, or anything that really makes an MMO an MMO. Point being, if there is an option for them to make a bit of cash and GUARENTEE something returned to you that was removed or deleted due to a lapse in good judgment or a drunken stupor, then props to them. As stated above by multiple people, they could have simple slapped you with a "Tough Sh*t" and left it at that. Faulting a game to want to make money to help keep it alive and the people behind it paid is like faulting a baby for crying. It's gonna happen. Deal with it.
    Seefar likes this.