Char-Transfer combi pack please!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nynaeve, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the OP and think this is a bad idea.
    suka likes this.
  2. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Actually, offering free transfers from a selected set of high population servers to a selected set of low population servers for a period of 1 month worked well in helping WoW balance server populations when things got a bit lopsided. I forget what restrictions there were, probably things like not being able to move again for 6 months or something. It's an idea SOE should consider at least. Might help get some more players onto the low-population servers.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

Of course everyone would love practically free transfers for all their toons whenever they want. I'd also love a new car for $1000 but I'm not going to persuade the car dealer to drop his price that low, even if I offer to buy 20.

You can't expect any company to voluntarily reduce a product cost by around 90%.

You can possibly get 50% if you ask really nicely, but for 10 characters that's still $125.

But, if you have the SC already and half of it was free from monthly 500SC and the other half was discount bought at 20% off, then it's not so bad, and you'd be getting close to those figures. But I don't know many people with that quantity of SC sitting there, as it's very easy to spend on fluff, which is how SOE makes a lot of their money.
    suka and Wirewhisker like this.
  4. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

especially the plat seller
  5. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I just keep having visions of trying to convince the plumber that since you paid him the last 3 times he unclogged your toilet that now he should provide that service for free.
    suka, Wirewhisker and Avahlynn like this.
  6. Lygerr Active Member

if i were in charge i would offer:

single transfer tokens for 200 veteran tokens each
    free limited time transfers(2weeks) off high population servers
    and
    full account transfers for $125 and scale it down while watching the sales to see where the best balance was(for a service that takes almost no effort any longer there is more profit in quantity, not higher cost)

as it sits i've seen far too many people simply just not log in lately and it's hurting the game because people who don't have others to play with causes others to leave as well. those same people aren't playing the SC market game either because their names sit dormant on a guild roster.

honestly i don't even remotely get why people would be against these ideas, moving people around unless to singular servers(high pop) can't hurt. ideally bringing in new players would be best all around but so far that hasn't panned out at all, EQ1 is more successful still over EQ2.
  7. Nynaeve Active Member

You brought a very bad analogy here.
    More fitting would be this:
    You're a customer of Bank America in New York, then want to move to L.A. and in order to use their bank branch over there and get access to your own money you have to pay them 1000 bucks first. IT IS RIDICULOUS!
  8. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

No, that's a bad analogy, because Everquest 2's case, the ATM networks (shared bank) in LA and New York are different.

What you're doing is akin to moving from NY to LA and getting mad that Bank of America won't let you get your Wells Fargo money out without paying for the privilege.
    suka likes this.
  9. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Outstanding! :D

If Sony were to surrender to that giveaway mindset though, I know I'd still like that Big Blue Button in my house that dispenses raid loot on command.

After all, I'm paying for the game. ;)
    suka likes this.
  10. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Well, Sony makes money off of character transfers...so we can infer by the lack of a merger announcement, a slash in transfer prices, or a multi-move goodie bag that their bean counters are still seeing the current system as a positive, not a negative.

I'm sure that once it's not working out, things will change.
    suka likes this.
  11. Nynaeve Active Member

Sony made a lot of wrong decisions in the past. they just recently had to sell off a bunch of their hardware production and other assets.
    Of course server-transfers need to have a price attached, but to charge an insane amount for an all-account-transfer (when you have between 5-15 chars) doesn't pay off financially, because people will simply have to narrow down their most important chars and only transfer 3 or so anyway. So Sony isn't get more money, and the players end up having to leave a lot of their hard worked classes behind. That's why I say the transfer cost needs to be streamlined and the maximum price is 3 or 4 characters.
    or maybe like this:
    1 char - 3000SC
    2 chars 5000SC
    3 - 10 chars 6000SC
    11-20 chars 9000SC

something like that at least.
    VeilShard likes this.
  12. Ruckus Well-Known Member

This somewhat reminds me of how my college used to charge tuition fees for the semester, yes this was long ago and they no longer do it this way (I just double checked their website...damn...it's been a long time, prices are like 4x as much!):

For the sake of easy math, let's say the first 1-11 credit hours were $100 each. You were considered a "part time" student if you were under 12 credit hours for the semester.

If you took 1 class that met 3 hours a week, you paid $300.
    If you took 1 class that met 5 hours a week, you paid $500.
    If you took 2 classes that met 5 hours a week, and 1 class that met 2 hours a week (total 12), you paid a flat fee of $1200.
    If you took 3 classes that met 5 hours a week (total 15), you paid the same flat fee of $1200.

Basically, if you went 12-18 hours a week, you paid $1200 total. If you went up to like 20 hours a week, then they started tacking on another $100 for each credit hour over 18. So in the case of 20 hours, you paid $1200 for the first 18 hours, then an additional $200 for hours 19 and 20.
  13. Nynaeve Active Member

point is SOE wont lose money when they offer better transfer deals, because they will gain transfer customers who previously were reluctant to transfer at all because they would have to leave characters behind.
    I doubt there are many who will pay the current fee for 10+ chars anyway, and there is no reason to hurt loyal customers by forcing them to only transfer 3-4 chars if they would prefer to have their whole account moved.
    VeilShard likes this.
  14. suka Well-Known Member

hmm, let me get this straight. You assume your one account is so important to the economy of soe that they would capitulate to your demands? since dropping to "free" would make you automatically silver, if i were soe i would say - ok- go play LOTRO. Do go play LOTRO so you can see just how expensive a game can be to play. then come back to eq and be grateful.
    Avahlynn and Wirewhisker like this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

yeah i would like to move some to another account- just can't afford it right now so i will save my money and wait. however i won't make empty threats to quit over it. empty because if you "quit" you still have the ability to play. this threat is not what it used to be and besides, why would soe go broke over one account quitting- or even 50?
  16. Nynaeve Active Member

1. soe would not "capitulate", they would probably end up making MORE money.
    2. I already unlocked all content in lotro up to 75, most with free in-game earned turbine points, and I bought 3 expansions. so while Lotro may be more expensive if you are stupid, you can get away pretty good too financially if you're smart.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

we understand the frustration, but not the ultimatums and tantrums. it would be nice for a sliding scale discount, but we aren't threatening to go play the most expensive game out there in retaliation over it. and if you don't think LOTRO is more expensive, then go try it.
    Regolas and Wirewhisker like this.
  18. Geez New Member

No you don't seem to get it at all. Maybe you should visit a friendly priest/mage to cure your serious INT debuff.

Quiet servers are getting quieter and quieter. More people leaving = lower population = less groups/server activity = more people leaving. A lot of people currently or in the near future will have 2 choices - transfer to a busier server or leave the game. If you have been playing for a while then you will have alts and if you have more than a couple then the cost becomes too great.

These aren't "ultimatums and tantrums" it is people being realistic after seeing the direction the game is headed with shrinking populations and less play time in their game time. This situation is just going to get worse to the point where the only way to continue enjoying the game is to pay the extortionate transfer fees. This is unacceptable to most people and is why a lot of players are either leaving or seriously considering it.
    VeilShard likes this.
  19. Kaedian66 Active Member

Just make the fee $25 to move any number of characters on one account to one destination server.

You would be hard pressed to make me believe the effort involved takes more than 15 minutes of time. Recognize that the game peaked a long time ago, and be a little more appreciative of the players that want to remain, all while making *some* money in the process which in turn generates more income (happy consumers spend more than disgruntled ones)
    VeilShard likes this.
  20. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

only for a short time, if at all, in the long term it would lose money
    Wirewhisker and suka like this.