Char-Transfer combi pack please!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Nynaeve, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Nynaeve Active Member

I have 10+ chars, all in full potent gear, ran every instance dozens of times and the new HQs a few times too, there's really nothing left to do for me except raiding, but there's not a single quality Raid-guild on Freeport that raids at EU evening times.
    I'd like to transfer all my toons to Splitpaw, or the German server, but without any bulk sale it is impossible.
    Can't you make a deal like 1-2 chars normal price; everything over 3 chars = same price as 3 chars?
    Otherwise I think I'll just stop playing EQ2 and play Lotro instead or something.
  2. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, by same price as 3 characters, you mean same price per character as the price per character for 3 characters, not pay for 3 characters and the rest of them are free, right?

Although I'm pretty sure that you meant the former, it could be interpreted either way. While the former is reasonable (however, they might want to consider a sliding scale, so that the each has more of a discount - from the full price- until just before the point of diminishing returns*), the latter isn't something that they would be likely to seriously consider.

Making it a sliding scale would be cheaper for those that bought in bulk (thus reducing the revenue for SOE would receive for each one - but also giving SOE sales that they would not otherwise have). However, there are probably only a comparative few of us would purchase them in massive quantities, so more people would likely purchase the smaller bulk quantities (thus resulting in a greater overall amount of revenue to SOE).

Note: I am not an economist, nor do I work in marketing, so if there are glaring errors in my assumptions, I would hope that someone that works in one of those fields would explain the manner in which my assumptions erred**.

* So for 1-2, it could be 2450/each, then 3-4 at 2150/each, 5-6 at 1900/each, 7-8 at 1700/each, 9-10 at 1550/each, 11-12 at 1450/each, and 13 or more at 1400/each***.
    ** So someone just saying, "You're wrong" doesn't add to the conversation - and will likely be interpreted as trolling. On the other hand, saying, "You're wrong - and here is why you are wrong:" followed by information pertaining to the manner in which the assumptions were flawed (besides just being assumptions) does add to the conversation, and will actually increase knowledge for at least one person.
    *** This would be the total cost in SC for each, if they were they to implement it (with the corresponding current price for that quantity - if different - in parentheses): 1 - 2,450 SC ; 2- 4,900 SC; 3 - 6,450 SC (7,350 SC); 4 - 8,600 SC (9,800 SC); 5 - 9,500 SC (12,250 SC); 6 - 11,400 SC (14,700 SC); 7 - 11,900 SC (17150 SC); 8 - 13,600 SC (19,600 SC); 9 - 13,950 SC (22,050 SC); 10 - 15,500 SC (24,500 SC); 11 - 15,900 SC (26,950 SC), 12 - 17,400 SC (29,400 SC); 13 - 18,200 SC (31,850 SC); etc.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  3. Nynaeve Active Member

you're out of your marbles if you think I'd pay your suggested "discount" of 25.500 SC to transfer 10 chars. That's like 250 Euros, the price of over 6 Expansions!
    I said it plain and clear - I pay maximum 5k SC for my 10 toons AT BEST! otherwise I have to park my EQ2 account and play Lotro instead.
    Pixistik, Naudi and VeilShard like this.
  4. VeilShard Active Member

I personally don't think it should cost anymore then say 2 characters worth to move a full account over to another server, most people who play the game now are going to have multiple characters, if anything just to have all the tradeskills. Given how easy it is to level up/buy characters charging for each one to transfer when you have 10+ is wayy too much. A one time price of say $50 to move all characters to another server, and even consider making it free to move to a low pop server.
    Daalilama and Nynaeve like this.
  5. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Considering how dead nagafen is now I'd love to be able to move the rest of my alts over....but financially it just aint in the cards atm.
  6. Gharish Active Member

I'd pay 10 a pop for transfers for my multiple 95 / 95 alt horde to go a server thats actually alive. To me thats a fair price and an actual value. But it looks like Im just going to reroll some more alts and hope I dont feel the need to shove knitting needles into my eyes due to the tedium of releveling to catch up with my new guild mates. I never thought 25 was a value for this service, as all it takes is an auto generated command to switch servers. Yes, I understand the supposed reason for the price for server transfers. Its a shame others feel the need to go play another game rather than be a loyal EQ2 player, but I fully understand it.
  7. Regolas Well-Known Member

I have been informed by CS that generally they only offer discount transfers when consolidating accounts between games. For example:

Account #1 has EQ2 characters, account #2 has EQ1 characters, and you want them all on one account.

But, that doesn't mean they won't consider a deal. That doesn't mean you'll get them all moved for 7500SC, but maybe something like a 2 for 1 deal MIGHT be offered. Put in a ticket to CS and ask.

I've moved 8 characters to at least one new server, and some of them again to another server, the old fashioned way. It hurt and currently I have 4 sitting on servers I don't play on anymore because of the cost. So I understand your pain.

"I am a member of the SOE Community Council. These opinions are mine; I am not speaking on behalf of Sony Online Entertainment."
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  8. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I wish this was approached as such: gold/all access now accounts get one free server transfer in their lifetime, and you can use it to move all characters on said account for free to the server of your choice. Basically a one time freebie so that a paying player can move in bulk all his/her account to a new server.
    suka and Cynara like this.
  9. Rotherian Well-Known Member

You can ask for the moon if you want to do so, but you're more likely to get some real estate if you confine your requests to those that are at least somewhat closer to the Earth's surface. Likewise, if you confine your requests to things that make at least some financial sense to the company to which you are submitting the request, then that makes it at least somewhat likely to receive a positive response. You are essentially asking them to give you a 1,950 discount per character, which is about as probable as the universe reaching thermodynamic equilibrium within the next seven days*.

I wish you the best in your travels in Middle Earth. It isn't Norrath, but at least it has decent lore from which to draw (i.e. The Lord oft the Rings, The Hobbit aka There and Back Again, and The Silmarillion**). Your toons will still be here if you decide to return***.

* IOW, not very likely.
    ** Whether they give more than a passing nod to that lore is another question entirely. ;)
    *** In fact, they will still be here even if you don't return - unless you delete them first - up until SOE decides to sunset this game (however many months, years, or decades down the road that ends up being).
  10. Nynaeve Active Member

If you actually believe it is*reasonable* to pay money in the mount of SEVERAL EXPANSIONS just to get a transfer to a server where you can find people to play with... it is you who's living in a box. Yes a pretty box painted inside by SOE with Marketplace advertisements, so you can't even make sense anymore of what is outside that box.

No my friend. A regular expansion costs $20 to $40, or $60 if you want yet another mount or house... And you think it is reasonable to pay about 6 TIMES AS MUCH for a Transfer? You need a serious reality check, bro!

Do you remember the movie "They Live"?
    Maybe you can get a hold of one of those sunglasses, so you can see through the "OBEY" , "CONSUME" , "DONT QUESTION" , "PAY 250$ TO TRANSFER YOUR EQ2 CHARS" BS.
    [IMG]
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Why don't you move ONE character, find a "quality Raid-Guild", and make sure you like it there? It would be a shame to move all of your characters only to discover that you're no better off than you were on Freeport.

Edit: typo
    suka and Wirewhisker like this.
  12. Nynaeve Active Member

don't need to move a char to check out a server. I can just make a new one there, but I already have that.
    And of course, if you move you want to move all your chars, and not leave your prestige homes on another server too.
    Your suggestion is like - move out of your castle into a shack and pay for it... Not an option really.

You people need to get over the idea that paying a fortune for a server-transfer is "just the way it is" - because with an attitude like that you never get any improvements. Like serfs bowing to their masters.
    VeilShard likes this.
  13. Geez New Member

Transferring files from one server to another takes fractions of a second. This is what servers do and they are very efficient at it. In fact just by downloading this web page you have transferred multiple files from one server to another and most probably more data than is needed for one of your toons. Initialising the character on the new server and deleting the character from the old server also take fractions of a second and this is a fully automated process. There is absolutely no need for any human interaction whatsoever nowadays and if it is required then SOE are doing it wrong and I seriously doubt they are. In the olden days it is quite likely that a manual check was needed after the transfer which would justify the fee but not now.

Obviously they have to charge for this service and I imagine the high cost is to control the server populations - it is far easier to maintain a server where the population is steady. Imagine if the population of your town or city fluctuated wildly and the powers that be never knew how many schools or hospitals were needed at any time.

However some servers are now so quiet that it is a nightmare trying to find groups or to fill raids. The population on those servers is going to continue to drop as there is no point players staying there.if they want to remain active in the game. Its like the largest employer in a town relocating and there becoming a shortage of work for people to do. Some people will move elsewhere to work for the same company in another town, others will move away to find jobs with other companies, and the ones that stay will wake up one day to find that all their friends have gone and there are no jobs available.

Some of you on the busier servers fail to see this as your population is being topped up by people transferring from quieter servers. But for every person changing servers there are many more leaving the game as they cannot justify paying the massive fees.to transfer all their toons to a busier server just to be able to continue playing the game. It is no fun spending most of your game time LFG on a ghost town server.

Some kind of server merging is inevitable as the overall amount of players drops due to the age of the game and due to the multitude of newer games that are out there today, and massively overcharging for server transfers is just pushing more people out of the game.Quiet servers do nothing to keep new players who hit 95 and then struggle to find groups, and they do nothing for existing players who currently struggle to find groups anyway. The player base is going to shrink faster and faster until SOE acts and from a pure business point of view I cannot understand why they are delaying things.

And a massive LOL at whoever thinks SOE will lose a fortune by substantially dropping the price of server transfers for a player's characters away from quiet servers. They will lose far far more by driving customers away than by keeping them happy with busier servers - no company can survive losing customers hand over fist because of their destructive business practises. If there is hardly any activity on a server due to the low population then the transfers should be FREE. I have already invested a lot of time and money on my 10 toons over the years and always paid monthly. My server is dying and its looking terminal so I need to make a choice between transferring my characters to a more populated server or leaving the game. Can somebody please tell me why I should pay out a big lump of cash just to be able to find a group?
    VeilShard likes this.
  14. Rotherian Well-Known Member

No. A transfer costs $24.50. A standard expansion costs $40 for this game. Which means that a transfer costs 61.25% of an expansion, not 600%.

If you subscribe to SOE's games (since a single subscription - as of today, in fact - gets you most, if not all, of SOE's current games), and log in to this game at least once a month to /claim your 500 SC (although you might be able to claim them from other games just as easily - we'll have to see how it pans out). That gives you one transfer every 5 months, with 50 SC left over.

If you think that SOE is likely to give you a discount from the price that they currently offer for server transfer tokens of $19.50 per character, then I'm not the one in need of a reality check. You can try it; give Customer Service a call, and see what they say. (However, I wouldn't get my hopes up - although you can if you want to do so.)

At this point you have a few options:

1. You can continue to issue ultimatums (usually doesn't work, but some people enjoy hitting their heads against brick walls, so I won't stand in your way if you choose this option).
    2. You can call SOE Customer Service and see if they think your suggested price is a good idea. (However, don't be surprised if their voices start sounding strange at that point - sounding suspiciously like someone trying to talk while simultaneously trying not to audibly laugh in the customer's face in reaction to the absurdity of the suggestion that they receive.)
    3. You can call SOE Customer Service and discuss a mutually beneficial solution and try to come to some sort of compromise. (I would suggest this option, but you are free to choose any of them.)
    4. You can quit this game and move on to a different one published by SOE. (However, since most are now free to play games, you may be turned off by the means which they use to monetize those games.)
    5. You can quit this game and move on to a different one not published by SOE. (Maybe if enough people choose this option, marketing may decide to change the pricing of that service. However, I wouldn't hold my breath, and I would advise that you not do so either - unless you happen to like hypoxia - but if you do like it, I won't judge. ;) )
    Whichever option that you choose is, of course, entirely up to you.

On a tangential note:

To which I respond:

[IMG]
    :p
    suka and Wirewhisker like this.
  15. Lygerr Active Member

if you don't understand the OP's frustration with the dwindling populations then you probably shouldn't be responding to this thread.

NO ONE wants to spend hundreds of dollars moving characters around in today's EQ2 gameplay with the risk of even seemingly active guilds falling on their face in short periods of time. the argument is that there is no incentive for people to move whole accounts or discounts offered unless you feel like running around with CS to try and work out a "deal".

IMO there should just be a flat rate fee for a whole account transfer, because we all know the code is already there and it is true that it is automated now so SOE loses literally nothing by offering it and might even make more by selling an account transfer service for say $60.
    VeilShard likes this.
  16. Shadeyblades New Member

if you dont understand the op is on the most populated server maybe you shouldn't be responding
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  17. Lygerr Active Member

hmm, so then it becomes even less of a risk... i see.
  18. VeilShard Active Member

I would say SOE would be doing pretty darn good to receive 50 or 60 to transfer the characters on someones account, you'd have to be a pretty die hard fan with money to blow to move 10 characters for $250, and I wouldn't do it, luckily I like my server and picked AB without realizing it would be a busy one.. but for the price of a whole game to do nothing other then transfer an account over? That seems like a nice little fee for the company right there. At least it gives people the option of continuing to play eq2 and not buy another game for the same price. As for the OP it sounds to me like she doesn't have the option of playing on her server since she wants to raid and cannot raid where she is and is *willing* to pay the price of a full game to keep playing eq2.

As for Rotherian, it's easy to say good riddance to players who are unhappy but you have nothing to lose whereas the company does. And she isn't the only one who has asked for this. Many people who are debating whether to pay for a transfer might not be willing to jump off the deep end to keep playing eq2 when there are new and shiny games coming out and the price of entry is much much lower. If you keep your customers happy and be reasonable with prices, offering bundles when needed, they will continue to pay smaller amounts over the course of a longer period of time. This is after all a niche game nowadays (I forget who said it one of the higher ups..) and keeping the current players should be high on the priority list since there isn't a whole lot of incentive for new people to come in
  19. Cinnamon Active Member

Personally, I would like to see a free "character transfer token" of sort be made available only if the account age is more then 6 months, the character be a certain level like maybe level 70 and hasn't been transferred in the last year by use of the free transfer token. The token can only be only claimed once a year per each character, is no trade, should be coded differently then the one we now have available through SC. So, that if someone use their freebie, they have the option to buy one if not wanting to wait year to transfer again. They shouldn't stack either.
  20. pzpz Active Member

sell char xfer token for 10 loyalty tokens, change the current marketplace 2500 sc xfer token to all-char xfer token. get with the times.
    Moonpanther likes this.