Calling All Legendary Rangers

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Jowita, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

I was perusing the Combat Discussion board, and came across an interesting thread entitled "Wonder Why," by Balerius. (http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=combat&message.id=113285) Halfway down the first page, I read a statement by Emerix that stopped me in my tracks. Here's what Emerix said:

Rangers are one of the perfect examples of classes who are perfect on their dps .. but only if the player can play . Salor from TBA on AB seemed to do more than just ok when i was grouping with him . The mobs just went poof . If rangers know how to play their class they are top dps . But it looks like it requires more player skill than assasins.

Okay, so here's my question: What do I have to know, what do I have to do, what do I have to learn, to become one of those rangers whom others praise like they were the gods of old?

For example: Anonymous_Groupmember1: "Zeus's beard! That Jowita is one helluva Ranger! Can you believe that DPS? Made that poor little assassin look like a limp noodle! And those thighs! Jayzus! I'd walk a hundred miles to see thighs like that!"

In other words, what does it take to be one of the Elite, like Salor from Antonia Bayle? What do I have to do to be immortalized on the boards? What is the secret to T1 DPS? If other rangers are doing it, then it must be possible. So, to that Someone Out There Who Has The Answer (and you know who you are): Grant us your wisdom, and know that only YOU can prevent T3 DPS. I want to be better than merely good.

I want to be legendary.

PST.

Jowita
  2. ARCHIVED-nirav21 Guest

You see on pvp server when in exile guild its easy. You just cheap shot da assasin and use snipershot and other CAs
  3. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

If I had any wisdom, Jowi dear, it would be tendered unto you forthwith. But unfortunately for both of us, the only way I get by in EQ2 is my sparkling wit (cough), good looks (cough harder), and charming personality (choke).
    Oh, and bribery. Can't forget that.
  4. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

[IMG]>
    ++Xan
    *edit* hope this picture shows up now...
    Message Edited by xandez on 09-05-2006 08:59 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

My dear Jay,
    Your charming personality is one of the reasons why I felt brave enough to pose the question in the first place. Hopefully, That Person With The Answer will come forth and all our woes will be as dust in the wind.
    Oh. Check your mailbox tonight. Is 1pp enough?

Jowita
  6. ARCHIVED-Balerius Guest

It's really quite simple:
    1) First find a group whose members have never grouped with a ranger and have generally grouped with really crappy assassins, swashbucklers, wizards, and warlocks. It also helps if one member is a loudmouth with flawed logical reasoning.
    2) Do a good job dps-wise and don't get unnecessary agro.
    3) You will look incredibly powerful compared to what they are used to seeing.
    4) The loudmouth will geenralize from his newfound limited experience with rangers in a group and conclude that rangers are "gods of dps" and that you are the epitome of such a godly class. Moreover, said loudmouth will freely share his conclusions on the boards and in your server chat channels.
    -- Of course the drawback is that the loudmouth will also share his in-depth knowledge (gained from grouping with you) of rangers being "gods of dps" by posting in any thread that discusses rangers' dps issues on raids. But, hey, you'll be famous so who cares? :smileywink:
  7. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

Simplest answer:
    1) Kill Venekor in Halls of Seeing every week until he gives you the Ancestral Sarnac War Bow
    2) Kill Amorpheous Drake and Tarinax in Deathtoll weekly until one gives you Ichorstrand or Bazkul.
    3) Use Ichorstrand or Bazkul to make pretty T8 legendary ammo.
    4) Use pretty T8 legendary ammo with Sarnac bow.
    5) Never use Focus Aim while Sarnac bow is equiped.

Complete steps 1 - 5 and you will be capable of doing the DPS you need to impress the masses. Top assassins and conjurors may still be ahead slightly but you will be competitive and even take the top spot on fights here and there. And wizards and rouges you will be able to beat alot more often then loose to.
  8. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

Yeah, but isn't Jack Sparrow a Swashie? AoE hate transfer. Bah, who need it? ;)

Jowita
  9. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

Sighhh...and here I thought you, of all people, would have possessed the as-yet-unseen Secret To Ranger Godliness. Alas. Ah, Discordia! My hope withers....

Jowita
  10. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

Is the secret really as simple as one word: UBER? Please say it ain't so. I don't wanna be UBER. I wanna be Legendary. Can I have one without the other? Is that possible? Oh please say that it is...

Jowita
  11. ARCHIVED-xandez Guest

Hehe, yah, but close enuff ;)
    ++Xan
  12. ARCHIVED-BSbongo Guest

some people who posted in that thread have no idea how to play a ranger and should just stop posting about AOE risk vs reward cause it just makes them sound stupid.
  13. ARCHIVED-Stormhawk Guest

Since the only place to get T8 ammo is from Deathtoll, nope.
    Message Edited by Stormhawk on 09-05-2006 12:18 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Dark_Moons_Rising Guest

:smileywink:
    ok,, first off the dps,,
    Step one,, grp with a mystic and a gruardian,, and a templar ( your dps is still gonna suck, but compared to the them, your gonna be a god)

as for the thighs, there is the level 40 guild dress available to you,, and if you wear in a grp,, who gonna look at the dps anyway????

Been told my last name didnt have a cap in it,, so i fixed it...Jay why you no tell me before ????

Message Edited by Dark_Moons_Rising on 09-05-2006 03:54 PM
  15. ARCHIVED-Serventof Wrath Guest

I was in some loot and glory runs through some T7 instances this weekend. 1 zerker, 1 fury, 2 dirge, 1 assassin, and me (70/50 ranger). We are raid equipped (I'm not yet uber but getting there) with gear and group buffs I had both STR and AGI over 510, STA over 400, WIS and INT both in the low 200s Haste and DPS at 100% as buffs recycled. Things went poof. In a group we are still dps machines. The fury was parsing and and me and the assassin constantly battled for the top spot. We ran through Vaults, Blackscale, and Den in no time at all. Even got the ranger class hat for back-up gear from the guy in Vaults. In raid set up rangers get hosed just look at the procs and buffs we miss out on in the original thread you quoted. In groups we can still make things go poof.
    If there is anything I would suggest learning it would be to ignore posters who post crap like learn to play your class or ranged dps is lower cause you trade it for AoE protection. Learn to ignore that crap and you will go much further.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Sometimes I almost forget how much you rock, and then, I am reminded. :D
    And yeah 1pp should do just fine for this week.
  17. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Cuz you called me out in 60-69 and blew my cover about trying to get my groups killed in PoA.
    Wait.. that was Shagg and Sinneran in Barren Sky /ooc. I can never keep all that heckling straight! :(
  18. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

LOL, you got that reference, didya? So if I asked you if you've seen a blood-red rose growing in a vacant lot near the Fedic #9 door (Verbal Entry Code Required) in Lower Manhattan, close to Tower Records, you'd know exactly what I was talking about, wouldn't you?
    I thought you might. :)
    Sigh. Perhaps there is no Secret of Ultimate Ranger Power. Perhaps it's really just about having fun. I mean, if you're having fun playing your ranger, everything else kinda falls by the wayside.
    And I, for one, am having a blast.

Jowita
  19. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Of course I would, silly. Just like you'd know how a billy-bumbler looks, and the slow mutants, and understand the need for good riddles when riding a sentient (if somewhat deranged) monorail. We've discussed this before, when you had the 'other worlds' quote from Jake on your old sig. (Speaking of which, I love the new one.)
    /pulls a shell from his belt and causes it to dance fluidly over his knuckles
  20. ARCHIVED-Crychtonn Guest

Have to ask. If you're using the vault ranger hat as backup what are you using as your main. Personally I use the vault hat as my main gear because I like the proc that inceases my crit's 2.8%. It may not be alot but it does proc often. And I'll take that higher chance to crit over the 7 extra Str relic or 5 extra Str Hoo'loo hats give. The only hat I've seen I'd even consider using over the vault hat is the one from Lyceam that has I think 29 Str and 30 Int.