Bear mounts not scaling

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Hirofortis, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Xentin Guest

Dobi@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Didnt realize we were playing a fantasy game for realism. Sorry but playing an ogre and getting my camera's PoV out of whack because the mount doesnt fit me, makes it unusable. Not only that, but its not our fault they dont give us realistic mounts for the bigger races, wheres my war elephant or an actual real rhino? (like the mobs, the mounts look dumb imo)
  2. ARCHIVED-Solaran_X Guest

Xentin wrote:
    There are...what? Close to 100 mounts in this game? Why not leave us with just ONE that doesn't scale, for those of us who prefer a static sized mount? Would it kill you people to leave just one mount as a static size?
    Or how about an option that toggles mount static size on and off? So for those of us who want to have a uniform mount size can have one?
  3. ARCHIVED-Myth Guest

There is 'some' scaling going on, but it's broken. I have a Sarnak whose feet nearly drag the ground and looks as if it's riding a dime store hobby horse. A guildmate has a Half Elf character whose Dire Bear mount is actually noticably taller than mine from both front and rear views. The head is significantly larger and higher off the ground than on my Dire Bear.
    It makes perfect sense that larger characters have larger mounts, individuals would normally choose a real life mount/motorcycel/etc that fits their frame. Perfectly uniform size/height animals of a type do not occur in real life - why does it make more sense in a virtual setting?
  4. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

Crymsyn@Lucan DLere wrote:
    I can ride into Butcherblock mountains with my ogre's level 80 warbear. I then can ride right up to a level 19 bear that is four-five times larger than the bear I'm practically dragging my feet on. Seriously, why would the ogres think that the level 80 "war" bear is more powerful than the mountains of ursine muscle that already live out in Butcherblock?
  5. ARCHIVED-x82nd77 Guest

I am 6'3 in real life... I have chosen vehicles that reflect that as well. When I buy a car or truck I look for one with lots of headroom and leg space. Now if I lived in Norath and was an ogre I would make sure when I went to the horse dealership that I wasn't buying a pony. I would want the largest war-stallion there was. We have bred animals for hundreds of years with traits we like, refining them to the genetic beasts we have now. It is only right to think they would do that in any fantasy world and would have bred bears, horses and such to different degrees for the varying races.
  6. ARCHIVED-Warpig Guest

They are uniform based on the race of your toon, what's wrong with that?
    It needs to scale like ALL the rest.
  7. ARCHIVED-Solaran_X Guest

Zorastiz@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Exactly. "ALL the rest" scale. Why does this one need to be like "ALL the rest"? Why can't it stay unique?
  8. ARCHIVED-Zaino Shadowave Guest

Kiara wrote:
    Oh noes! I really liked how small my Gnome looked atop his mount. =(
  9. ARCHIVED-Warpig Guest

A lot of people bought retail for this item and for larger races it looks horrible, even at level 80 it is not the right size. Further they are working on it so it's kind of mute at this point.
  10. ARCHIVED-Curs3 Guest

Myth wrote:
    omg please post picture. This stuff is hilarious. Just like you said, it looks like an adult on a quarter pony outside a store.
  11. ARCHIVED-Full_Metal_Mage Guest

These things are so damned slow, why is anyone riding them? Seriously.
  12. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

My Troll looks like he's riding a tiny clown tricycle. Thank you for promising to fix this.
  13. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Full_Metal_Mage wrote:
    I agree they should scale the speed better. Remember no matter what your level you got a 35% carpet ouf o the DIRTY site so they should at least start scaling at that speed.
    They just need to go up in different increments -- but at 70 the speed should be at least 48%
  14. ARCHIVED-Destructor646 Guest

But keep in mind that you can no longer do the DIRTY quests. What if you have a brand new character started just now? This /claim mount is the best free thing you have access to.
  15. ARCHIVED-Nakaru-Nitepaw Guest

Dang. Someone already beat me to the Clown Tricycle joke. :p
  16. ARCHIVED-Drash Guest

Eschia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    My favorite (dating back some 30 years, to when a Harley-riding friend of mine saw me on a Honda for the first time) is:
    "Boy, you look like an elelphant riding a peanut!"
    My Troll, Sarnak, and Barbarian characters (I have no Ogre alts atm) all look like elephants riding peanuts.
  17. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

I demand that my bear beeps while going backwards
  18. ARCHIVED-valkry Guest

Crymsyn@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Uh, maybe not.
    Adult males polar bears typically measure 200 to 250cm (6.5 to 8 feet) from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and weigh 400-600kg (880-1300 lbs). Females are about half this size.
    The Sun Bear stands approximately 1.2 m (4 ft) in length, making it the smallest member in the bear (Ursidae) (Pronounced UR' si day) family. It has a 5 cm (2 in) tail and usually weighs less than 65 kg (145 lb). Males tend to be 10-45% larger than females;[2] the former normally weigh between 30 and 60 kg (66-132 lb), the latter between 20 and 40 kg (44-88 lb).
  19. ARCHIVED-WeatherMan Guest

valkry wrote:
    Absolutely true. The only real difference here, is that you can at least somewhat differentiate between certain types of in-game horses (and of course, spirit steeds, nightmares, and so forth only make the variety even larger). So, appearance-wise, the bears are 'one size fits all' (not for much longer, though, I guess).
    I would argue that a dire bear is a big animal - period. Ogres, barbs, trolls, and so forth should look like they have a mount made for them...humans, erudites, elves and such should look like they're riding atop something the size of a limousine. And smaller races (gnomes, halflings, and so on) should appear to be riding something the size of a London double-decker bus.
    Your fae wants to ride a dire bear? Go for it...but the bear shouldn't scale down in size. They should be big hurking masses of muscle, sinew, and attitude - it's a dire bear, for pity's sake. Dire wolves and dire lions (aka cave lions) were massive predators - they were walking monsters that could bring down anything short of a mammoth (and maybe even those, all things depending). Why would a dire bear be any different? The giant short-faced bear (now extinct), the closest thing Earth has had to a dire bear, was over 40% larger than a modern grizzly. The size and appearnce of these suckers should be HUGE.
    Any fae or halfling that can control one of these walking mountains of teeth has more brass and fire than an angry djinn, so it should reflect that, I think. And one other thing...make these things revert to whistle form when the rider enters a bank - few things annoy me more than some shipdit ogre who rides into the Longshadow bank on a warg or rhino and blocks the banker from view (and use).
  20. ARCHIVED-Terayon Guest

Oh my god! a mount that fits your character height Run for the Hills! throw your computers in a pit and cover it with rocks! HIDE!!! Seriously though, I don't mind gnomes and other small races getting a choice between say a "Normal" aka larger mount or their usual "pony". If I want to ride a small mount, I use a gnome or ratonga eye, or just use my doll to shrink. Vice versa for bigger, I don't play any ogres, trolls or sarnaks ( cool as they look originally) So when I want a Hulkin mount I use an eye. Point is though, I Like! the scaling effect.