BARD AAs

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-SourChikn, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Marillion Guest

You're totally not getting the point. They are just totally ignored what the spirit of our class was and just gave us gimped abilities.

Right, the poison proc firstly, is 1/4 the power of a proc of T6/T7 that other scouts use, this just makes it **** in comparison to the other tree's and nothing in the rest of the line is truely worthwhile. And by giving such a low damage heat poison proc it will get resisted and mitigated very quickly.

You state Diversity, the website states:

----------------------------
    THE ACHIEVEMENTS SYSTEM PROVIDES A NEW WAY FOR PLAYERS TO IMPROVE THEIR CHARACTERS' POWERS AND CUSTOMIZE THEIR ARSENAL OF ABILITIES.
    or
    Every class has 5 different achievement paths they may follow in order to customize their abilities. Players may choose to specialize their training in one path or spread their advancement to broaden their training.

---------------------------

Nothing about gaining other classes abilties, but about focusing your own existing abilites. Now before you say, well it say broaden their training (but we'll ignore the fact the preceeding statement says customize your "existing" abilites, and so the later is talking about ways to do that), its using the word broaden to take mutiple paths at low ranks. The poison proc & group stealth are at the top end of one of the tree's, so you spend the majority of your AA's to get to them. So at which point you certainly are no longer improving your CHARACTERS' POWERS.

Anyhow, onto the next bit. You talk about different types of bards. Yep, couldn't be 100% with you. So we have Buff Bard, Debuff Bard, Spell Bard, Melee Bard & ? .... We're totally missing one of the facets of the bard in the current AA system and thats the Debuff Bard. Which in all honestly only fits the wisdom line. So you'd really have 2 abilities to go into, one for increasing debuffs on CA attacks and one on Spell debuffs. One can quickly replace the deagro bow attack. A bard couldn't rip even if he wanted to, believe me i try (i've put the hate buff on me, and not the tank and still failed :p). Now where to grab another spot from the tree's, before rejuggling the tree's to actually turn your paths into specialized paths of bard types and the ability thats holding a flag saying take me is the poison proc. Other things we're missing is group resistances increases, hate control abilities, immunity abilitys to target allys (stun, stifle, root etc) and recast timer reductions.

Anyhow, we've got a couple of good threads here going for some time. Discussing all the facets of bards and not one mechanic's dev stops by (as always has been the case) to say anything and say that we're looking at something, or somethings in the pipeline etc. I did notice Ben's post on instruments and if these are to player used they have to be bard only. But thats looking across boundary's into tradeskill stuff. And before you see the previous comment as some kind of rant at the dev's, make sure its only taken at the one's that work on our class :p .... some of zone dev's are amazing when it comes to dev to player interface as we saw again in the testing of this expansion, like last.
  2. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

I knid of like the Dirge Wis line, although I hate that I have to take Wis to get it.

There's some decent stuff in there, chief amongst them being group Run Speed and the + all crit chance. I don't understand why that wouldn't be really usefull. Now I don't have it yet so I can't speak from experience, but as I understand it it adds +75% to all crit chances? Is that how it works? Or is it +75% crit damage? If it's +75% crit chance that's a really nice buff, at the cap you're talking about a lot of damage being but out by a large crit increase. Even if it's +75% of your total crit + current crit that would be nice, +7.5% per 10%. I imagine +75% crit damage would be considerably less usefull, but it'd still add some decent damage to the groups dps output.

The other line(s) I looked at were the Str and Agi lines. Some of the AA's on those lines are pretty useless, but one nice ability is the [assive buffing of our buff songs by 1.5% per rank. The last powers in each line are alright as well, the 12s group AoE dodge sounds like it could be very usefull in raids and such once the timings are worked out. And the group invis is a halfway decent thing to re-introduce to the Bards (we had it in beta).

I don't know, I'm happy with my choices and think that overall they improve the class. I don't understand why all you people are so seemingly so upset. In my opinion ANY improvements made to our class is a GOOD thing. They can't give us all game-breaking uber-nukes and such as AA's, the game must remain balanced so the people without the AA's can still be viable. But, that said, not all the abilities are really super usefull, but they all do improve the class in some small way. And THAT is what there intention was, to personalize and improve your class at the same time. And if you ask me, that's what they do. Overall, I am happy with the choices for customization I have ahead of me and look forward to giving them a try.
  3. ARCHIVED-Icarii_Raven`Lyon Guest

I have a few points/comments I wanted to make. Not all are on this subject, but hey, Im lazy and dont want to make more than one post.

First off, on using hos: I just about always do hos. I found a lot better results (i have horrible a horrible memory for names, so im just going to say what the attack does) using - attack defense and - dis res and then my attacks. Also, when i just go through all my attacks, especially on single mobs, I find myself waiting to be able to use a ca, as mine dont seem to refresh fast enough. I also almost never use my mouse. I have 4 hotkey bars for attacks, with the top row (ie mouse row) being completely buffs as I tend to recast those less. All of my attacks are on the bottom 2 (default and alt) rows, therefore im not wasting time using the ho started. I have it set up with ho starter as 1, then 2 and 3 are my 2 main coin and then 4 is cheap shot. 5 and 6 are my 2 sword. Anyway, ramble, but my point, free damage and no time wasted that wouldnt have already been due to waiting for cas to refresh.

My other issue, which is rather off topic, is soloing. Dont get me wrong, number one, im not complaining, and number 2, (for those people who would say, well a dirge isnt a soloing class...) I dotn solo by choice. I have a hell of a time finding a group most times, and limited time to play, equals I end up soloing a bit. Now in regards to soloing, now that Im 60, it seems to have gotten considerably harder. I was trying to do a tears grifter instance, and on the sets of mobs that are 2 single down arrows taht are 59 and 60, its literally a toss up whether or not I will win, and i found actually more often than not they would kill me. I used to be able to grind through those no problem at all. For those who would ask, Im not really well equipped, but not bad off. All my spells are adept 1 or app 4 with my 1 master 2, im wearing almost full cobolt, with some t5 fabled (50hp/45mana 18 odd to stats), so by no means badly equipped.

My point, after another set of rambling is, is anyone else experiencing this? Or maybe has any advice for me? I like to think that Im a rather skillful dirge, but that is definately frustrating as its my only real way to get the faction tokens to finish leveling truth. Cant get a group for the towers, and that [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] police guy likes to try and kill me for killing the solo guards. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
  4. ARCHIVED-MrPhilPhil Guest

i think our wisdom line is certainly comparable to some of the best of "all" classes

it might not be a bad idea to do that one and use the rest on stats. You cant really **** yourself by beefing up any of the other 4 stats.
  5. ARCHIVED-Marillion Guest

Yeah Wis is one of the better lines, cept Spell haste does nothing at such low values (unless all you do is, Call to Home city, Call to Maj'dul and then Call to Splitpaw... then you would see some spell haste).
  6. ARCHIVED-Giallolas Guest

Until I read this series of posts, I was pretty excited about the Dirge AA's. My main is a Templar but my alt is a 43 Dirge and he's just a blast. Sure he doesn't have the best dps, but the AA's are way more useful than I'm facing for the Templar. I personally am quite excited about the Int and Wis lines for the Dirge. I can see great potential. Sure, do I wish they were more powerful and game changing? Of course, but I hear too many peeps complain about their AA's. I'm just excited we have a little different flavor now instead of being differentiated only by our gear and the quality of our songs.
    I know some of you guys don't like the AA's, and that's ok. I know some think that the necro got the good stuff. Hehe, I was just listening to our guild necro complain about all his AA's but one line be about his pet. He wished he had more AA's that improved his person and not his pet. I think all of us will see the grass on the other side as greener. Personally, I'm excited about the AA's.
  7. ARCHIVED-Marillion Guest

I just have one question of all the rest of the dirges:

When you spend an AA point, do you wish to see something for it?

Because currently, there are numerous stages in our AA's that because of % based balances you can spend a point and NIL for it.

Culpits are:

Increases to Parry buff, some ranks (which ones depends on if you have App 2, Adept 1/3 or Master) you get nothing for the point spent.
    Spell Haste, no affect to in combat abilities until you have 6 ranks and that only affects 3s casting time spells.
    First rank of movement speed for in combat. This game always rounds down the numbers so has no effect (this can be seen with buffs that give X.Y bonus on skills, .Y never rounds up).
  8. ARCHIVED-Niber Guest

I've noticed that the same.

I have Master 1 Screeching Elusion (Parry Buff) and I've noticed the % avoidance AA (Bladeturn) gives me no noticeable return. I thought this would be a great benefit as a raiding Dirge, but now I'm considering switching to something else. Pretty disappointing.
  9. ARCHIVED-Marillion Guest

Got my first rank of speed increase and my selo's didn't alter. Still at 34%, so its broken.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kyrsten Guest

Don't look at Selo's to see the increase, 'cause it's not there. Drop Selo's, drop Sonnet, press P to see your stats. Cast Selo's, check your runspeed, cast Sonnet and and then the number will increase. With 4 points into Sonnet, Selo's is good for 40% runspeed - 50% with Jboots on :smileyvery-happy:
  11. ARCHIVED-Asharad Guest

But after that (the four points) is it worth it? Because isn't there a runspeed cap?
  12. ARCHIVED-Salmastryon Guest

a runspeed cap? That's the first I've heard of such of a thing... Guess they have to make sure us bard's don't run too fast :smileywink:
  13. ARCHIVED-Krooner Guest

If there isnt Im sure there will be. I mean come on. We cant have level 70 dirges out there out running some level 20 twink on a 14 plat horse. I mean come on. Wheres your sense of fair play. /sarcasm off.

Im sure our run speed will be forever more capped below the fasted steed available.
  14. ARCHIVED-SourChikn Guest

Well i know for a fact the runspeed dosnt cap at 48% with 4 ranks in runspeed mod, selo's, and j-boots my persona window shows 50%...with that said all my guildies have thier pretty 14pp horses, so we race everywhere....of course being a bard i refused to buy one... anyways i outrun them every time now that 2% is noticed as you gain and eventually pulled away from people running next to you.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kyrsten Guest

Dunno, I only planned on putting 4 points there anyway
  16. ARCHIVED-Marillion Guest

Harb's Sonnet range appears to be too small. It drops off people a long time before any other buff does (10m at most?)
  17. ARCHIVED-Ellrin Guest

OK im going to admit i was stupid!
    I had 3 ranks in the speed AA and was constantly moaning that it had no effect until one day i ventured into my spell book and found that it was a castable ability *blush*
    At rank 4 with my Jboots on i race the Nightmares everywhere ;)
  18. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

There's no run speed cap that I've hit, and I've had +96% run speed w/ 8pts improved Selo's (46%), Jboots(10%), and 40% speed drinks. So, if there is a cap, it's higher then +96% run speed, which is the fastest I can seem to get no matter what I do b/c of certain items/buffs not stacking. And lets face it, +96% run speed is like running mach f'n 5 and you will blow the doors off anyone on a mount, and most people w/ any type of run speed.
  19. ARCHIVED-Menaelin Guest

Eandiil@Lucan DLere wrote:
    100% is the fastest runspeed. You can do this quite easily on a Fury if you use your AA's to get to 45%, throw on Pact of the Cheetah, and Sprint at the same time. The Sprint should put you well over the top, but you get capped at 100%.
  20. ARCHIVED-Moongloom Guest

Holy Necropost!!