Arasai/Fae Wing Movement = Discomfort for some

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Faerless, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

[p]Hello all,[/p][p]I'm starting this thread to discuss problems that have been reported to me from people who have difficulty playing EQII as either an Arasai or Fae.[/p][p]It seems that the constant movement of the wings seems to have some negative side effects for some folks.[/p][p]From several reports the constant rhythmic movement of the wings seems to draw the eye away from general game play in so distracting a way as to hinder playability.[/p][p]Problems reported include (Nausea), (Vertigo) and (Tiredness).[/p][p]If you've experienced these or any other issues related to Arasai/Fae wing movement please post your experiences below. Maybe we can encourage the developers to add a /halt wing or /hide wing option to make these races playable for people who experience the above listed issues.[/p][p] [/p][p]Thank you for your time and consideration,[/p][p]Faerless[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Princess Ariel Guest

I am so glad you posted this, I have those problems. I would love to play the fae but after a bit or if I am in a group with a bunch of fae I get a headache, get sick to my stomach (so sick I have to throw up) and I start seeing flashing lights. When I close my eyes I see nothing but the wings flapping over and over again. I would love for soe to fix this problem with a hide wing option or a still wing option and have sent numerous feed backs with no luck. I know some would just say don't play the race, but it not only bothers me when my own character is a fae but when I am grouped with them as well. I am getting to the point that I am thinking I may have to quit the game. I have tried turning off the atomspheric effect, specular lighting, enabled bloom, I have tried playing in 1st person and playing in 3rd person as far out as I can with no luck. SOE please, please, please, help.
    Thank You for your time and this post
    Ariel
  3. ARCHIVED-sfarugger Guest

[p]Funny you guys brought this up, cause I noticed it last night in a certain "forced" view, like up against a rock or something... It's quite uncomfortable to look at.[/p][p] [/p][p]I'd definetely second a "hide wing" or some type of command to stop that movement.[/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-Dead Knight Guest

Removing flapping of wings would kill the immersion for alot of players. If the race makes you sick to the point where you're throwing up and experiencing weird stuff like that, then I'm sorry to say it but you really shouldn't be playing it.
  5. ARCHIVED-sfarugger Guest

[p]hmm...[/p][p]Could easily just toggle it, then we wouldn't have to worry about who likes it or not :)[/p]
  6. ARCHIVED-Siogai Guest

Make it a client-side thing. Either you see Fae-wings or you don't, doesn't affect other players. Personally, I'd prefer a /hide Fae so I don't have to see the little buggers at all, including those blasphemous Arasai.
  7. ARCHIVED-redders Guest

Princess Ariel wrote:
    your font colour on a black background makes me much more dizzy than playing my fae for hours on end.
  8. ARCHIVED-DanaDark Guest

[p]WTF...[/p][p]If Fae bother you.. DONT PLAY A FAE... DUH >< My God ><[/p][p]Is this what the human species has been brought down to?! Utter stupidity?![/p][p]UGH... just UGHHHH... I swear... ><[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-Emerix Guest

They have a valid point there . Those things are everywhere and that movement can cause some discomfort . client sided hiding them sure wouldnt hurt .
  10. ARCHIVED--Mummel- Guest

wow could the ignorant people please stay out of these threads? just the idea of this being a serverside option is so far behind the moon that you should hit your head against the wall for the next 10 minutes Dead Knight. it has already been said that it's not only happening when one plays a fae but also when you're in a group with a fae, so wtf DanaDark... seriously personally i have no problem at all with the wing movement but i see the problem for some people and and option for stopping or hiding the wings is hardly much work for soe.
  11. ARCHIVED-DanaDark Guest

Fine, a more potent response.
    To the OP, if you are unable to focus correctly with just a mild stimulus such as flapping wings on your screen, I would suggest first and foremost you NEVER breed, for if wings prevent your ability to focus, heavan forbid you raise a child, would require more focus than you could ever possibly render in your entire life.
    To the princess whom gets physically ill when seeing a winged creature... try a MUD if graphics are preventing you from playing the game. As well, technically I might suggest you get some motion sickness meds since it most likely involves the same mechanics.
    This is the very first complaint I've heard about Fae. Heck, this entire thread is so utterly ridiculous that I view it as a joke.
    As for Mummel, seriously, I stand by everything I say.
  12. ARCHIVED-Princess Ariel Guest

I am not asking for them to turn off the wings compelety what I am requesting is an option to turn off the wings that I see on my screen. Just like the ability to turn on and off the soga models.
  13. ARCHIVED-Maldach Guest

If using giant blue text was an effort to simulate the discomfort one feels when playing a fairy, you were successful. I fully endorse this idea and or subject matter.
  14. ARCHIVED-StarryEyedElf Guest

DanaDark, there is a fine line between being emphatic/ heated and flaming. I'm sorry, but you sprinted over that line. Disagree respectfully. Some people have reported feelings of vertigo and nausea while playing video games before. It isn't as uncommon as you made it in your post.
  15. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

Yes, please forgive my technical omission. I definately meant a client side option such as Soga Models where those who utilize the option are the ones effected. This would provide people who desire to see wings to see them and those who do not, not.
    One comment I'd also like to add, to those who have nothing 'constructive' to add, please keep your negative personal comments to yourselves. Nothing is gained by verbally assaulting those who are mearly bringing an issue to light, DanaDark.

Thank you again for your time and consideration,
    Faerless
  16. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

No, it's just you. If you actually bothered to bust out a little good ole fashioned reading comprehension you would see that even grouping with a fairy for extended periods of time makes them sick. Doesn't really matter if you're a fae or not if there are 400 other fairies flapping around you.
  17. ARCHIVED-Miss_Jackie Guest

*sigh* I don't know if anyone EVER took the time to actually read EVERYTHING that comes with your video game box, but inside, there is a warning against people who have had problems with computer games/other console games. And if you do, to consult a doctor first. Does anyone NOT read these things before they start playing?!? My guess is that they'd rather start playing than to actually sit down and read.
  18. ARCHIVED-Grimwell Guest

I'd like to second Starry's point. If you can't contribute to the discussion without running right into the land of flames, please don't comment here.
  19. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

[p]I have a similar issue with riding Carpets & other mounts. [/p][p]Though, I have no problem viewing people on Horses and Wargs, I can't take looking at someone on a Carpet for more than a few moments with out feeling nauseous. [/p][p]I have requested a /hide_mount function numerous times to no avail. :roll: [/p][p]As to /hide_wings .. how about a /stop_wing function, instead? [/p][p]Losing the Visual Wing would be rather silly looking but maybe a client side "static" wing could be used for those people that find the movement discomforting? [/p][p]Could be toggled on and off depending on the situation. [/p][p]*shrug*[/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Emerix Guest

Now if they actually put it in the command should totally be /cut_wings *grin*