Arasai/Fae Wing Movement = Discomfort for some

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Faerless, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

I agree. It'll be very intersting to see what, if any, action the developers take to address this issue.
    I'd 'imagine' nothing'll be done until at least the skeletal revamp goes live.
    Still, it'd be very nice if a Dev would post a thought on this thread to let us know. Even if it's just to say that there's not a Hotdogs chance at a Snausage Festival that anything's going to be done.

Keeping hope alive,
    Faerless
  2. ARCHIVED-Katsi Guest

I find it interesting to note how often those who have never experienced game triggered motion sensitivity, and know no one who has, arbitrarily decide that it must not exist.

I first suffered the sensations while trying to play Doom. (Yes, the original.) I couldn't play for more than 5 minutes without getting a headache and nausea. If I tried to push it to an hour, I'd be spending the next few hours wishing I hadn't, curled up in bed with the lights out and a cold pack, or curled around the toilet praying I wouldn't need to move again.

Since then, I will not play first person view games. Some are better than others, but almost all trigger the sensation eventually. In addition, in this game, the Frostfell maze triggered it, and so does riding my carpet, unless I'm zoomed almost all the way out.

However, I am very lucky that the winged ones do not, as I like my Fae and my Arasai very much.

Just because it doesn't happen to you, does not mean that it doesn't happen, and that it is not an issue that should concern game designers. It does happen, and it does concern game designers.

Please stop hassling these people who do have this serious issue. It is not fair that they should be punished, not just by their inability to play a game they enjoy, but also by the harassment of those who don't believe that their condition exists. Disbelief won't make it go away and teasing won't cure it.

The ideas that people have come up with in this thread, for example, to stop the wing motion, are possibilities that may work. In addition, the respect that is being shown to those who do not have the problem by making it affect only the player and not everyone else is thoughtful of their part.

If you cannot support them, please, at least try and come up with workable solutions on your own. Hurtful and insulting comments only aggravate the situation.

- Katsi
  3. ARCHIVED-Birn Guest

I agree that there should be an option to stop the wing animation.
    There are some other things in the game that could case motion sickness aswell like riding a warg or a horse but there is a solution that might help alot. If you could have the camera at a fixed height behind the char (would still follow the char normally) instead of just letting the camera bounce up and down with youe char it would reduce the amount of stuff that moves in the screen alot and possibly help those who suffer from motion sickness.
  4. ARCHIVED-alexisxo Guest

Dead Knight wrote:
    You said it a lot nicer then I would have, but thats true.
  5. ARCHIVED-q149 Guest

It's amazing how stupid and whiney people are
  6. ARCHIVED-Wargod1968 Guest

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I move my arm like this."
    Doctor: "Then don't move your arm like that."
  7. ARCHIVED-mellowknees72 Guest

Magik01 wrote:
    Oooh! I want to be able to /hide heads!

Okay, seriously though, yes, this definitely should be a client-side option. Although I very rarely get motion sick, I know several people who suffer from severe motion sickness and/or simulation sickness, and it's not something that the person can control. It severely impacts life activities for these people.
    Having a way to toggle off wing movement for the client would be immensely helpful for these folks, and I think it's a great idea. Why people are angry about the suggestion is completely beyond me, since a CLIENT-SIDE option would not affect everyone - only the people who chose to use it.
  8. ARCHIVED-wnkibok Guest

Funny as this may seem to some, I, too, have had this problem. However, not only with fae but the froglok
    hopping and with heights inside lavastorm on the red crystal pathways high over the lava, I simply can't
    look down. I think this is silly but so help me it does affect me in a queasy kinda way. My guild leader
    chuckled at first when I kept hesitating to follow them all onto those pathways. He asked what was up,
    I said,, OMG I will fall!! OK, go ahead and laugh, but I really feel as if I will fall from a vast height. Now
    to SOE , I say this,, EQ2 is awesome in its realism, I simply Love that. I would not change it. I have
    learned to grit my teeth and walk those pathways, altho, I do it as seldom as possible. As for the froglok,
    the hopping only bothered me when I made one, and used 3rd person view, I ,no longer, have a froglok.
    As for the Fae, the wee folk need their lil wings, so make a /hide wingmovement option please.
    Another thing I simply can't do is ride the griffon in first person,, OMG,, Talk about fall off!! LOL, sorry
    some of my lil quirks. But I love EQ2 and am addicted so I will continue to play.
  9. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

My thanks again to all those who have supported this thread and have offered constructive feedback. Hopefully the devs can/will find a means of addressing this in the near future.

/bows gracelessly
    Faerless
  10. ARCHIVED-Kimage Guest

I also have to commend SOE on thier reality of the game. Things like th Sol Eye bridges scare me also - talk about vertigo - or lookin over the fall in TT... /shudder....
    though they have the movement of snakes down so well on the Naga that I can't even fight them or look at them. I am soo incrediably terrified of snakes that when we do Courts or Shimmering Citadel that I go first person and look down so I dont have to look at them at all... DT - water snakes - yea um look at the wall...
    Wargs give me motion sickness - so after awhile I couldn't get used to it- I sold it and went back to my horse. Besides - all that drool spraying back in my face was GROSS and I had to jump in the harbor to take a bath every time I could get home. I twas also costing me a fortune in dry cleaning bills. /sigh
    I have found ways to deal with my issues - but yea the fae are an issue that really needs to be taken a look at.
  11. ARCHIVED-Magical Guest

I don't suffer from this wing problem but would strongly suggest that SOE put this feature into the game. Like the SOGA models where we can select to see them or not, the game should have the client side option to turn off wing movement, hide wings, or replace them with a wingless model. Those of us who enjoy looking at colorful wings, such as myself, will be able to see them while those who don't want to see them would have the option to not see them.
    I suspect that the problem is not the wing movement itself but rather with their reflectivity as with the opalescent wings. The light that shines off of them acts like a flashing light which bothers some people. Maybe if the wings could be made dull like flat paint, it might help.
    But then again, when I play around a crowd of winged PC's and NPC's, I find that their wings block my view of what's beyond them. I would make use of an option to completely hide all Fae/Arasai wings in such cases.
    So to be clear, I vote that SOE should add something to help with the wing issue.
  12. ARCHIVED-Journee Guest

LOL After 7 pages of posting I am not sure that SoE even needs any more /feedback from people on this issue but I will add my 2 coppers worth as well. Sometimes I have the problem (ie. when in kelethin/Neriak at the bank where there are numerous fae/arasai) when it becomes a problem I log to another character or stop playing for a bit and just leave the computer for a hour or 2 but I am in favor of the /wing_hault etc.. where it would simply make the wings fold up as when the fae/arasai are kneeling. People still get to see what they look like and it doesn't effect you unless you turn it on.
    Ok 2 copper down now :)
    ~journee
  13. ARCHIVED-Heavens Angelgrl Guest

I dislike fae wings in a raid situation. A person sees movement out of the corner of their eye it is reaction to look at it. That is annoying when I'm already haveing to look at diffrent things, like raid window, tank health, and looking to cure things on group members. I don't need that kind of distraction.
    A really nice solution to this would be to fix the illusions. Nothing like a big ******* troll with fae wings bigger then I am blocking my entire view. How is that "realistic"?
  14. ARCHIVED-Youngone31 Guest

The only problem I have with the fae/arasai wings is that in narrow places, they block my view. There should be a /wing_fold command were the wings would fold as if sitting. The fae/arasai should not be hovering in this state. A bird can not fly with its wings folded so a fae/arasai should not either. Second, please fix the illusion for fae/arasai. I was so dissapointed when I used my mask from Nek castle only to change into a DE with wings...
  15. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

Agreed, the issue where the wings are still visible when using an illusion can get a bit troublesome as well.
    As an Arasai Coercer I have the option of wearing a Troll illusion (for example) but sadly it does nothing to help with the wing issue as I simply become a huge winged troll. : /

I'd still like to hear 'some' form of reply from SOE development as to whether they are looking at this issue at all. Yes? No? Maybe? Anything?

Faerless
  16. ARCHIVED-Banshee505 Guest

I'm sure a slow down of wing speed....say by about about one flap every 2.5 seconds would solve this for most people. So a speed bar? Just my thoughts. Your REAL problem is me chasing you around for cuddles! Your so cute!
  17. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

Kalyria@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    The problem comes in when you have devs spending their time coding in these client side changes. Fae, and Arasai wing flapping today, then the way gnolls run....it looks really goofy, and makes my head hurt. So that's next...then there's the silly frogs in town. So on, and so on, and so on.
    If this, or any other game is making someone physically ill, they should not be playing it.
    And here are some tips that might help:
    Eliminate some of the other flashy/sparkly eye candy in your settings.
    Eliminate florescent lighting sources near your computer, (go natural, and incandescent).
    Place lights so that they illuminate your computer from behind you.
    Get a cheap pair of light polarized sunglasses, and wear them when you play.
    If you require prescription glasses, then wear them when you play.
    Adjust ambient sound volume lower, background music higher.
    Focus your attention away from fae/arasai, to other parts of the screen. Turn your char, and adjust your zoom settings to place those toons outside your field of view.
  18. ARCHIVED-Roux11 Guest

Amen!!
    I stand firm against any more concessions being given to the small yet vocal minority who are always complaining about something or other. They already caused the demise of the horse rearing animation, the howling of the wolf in illusion form and the roar of the Tiger in illusion form. Two very cool little touches that the devs put in to add to the fun and fluff. Now they want to remove the wing animation from the fae?! BAH! Most all video games coming out these days have this, or a similar warning packaged with them....
    EPILEPSY WARNING
    Please read before using this video game. Some people are susceptible to epileptic seizuresor loss of consciousness when exposed to certain flashing lights or light patterns in everyday life. Such people may have a seizure while watching certain monitor images or playing certain video games. This may happen even if the person has no medical history of epilepsy or has never had any epileptic seizures. If you or anyone in your family has ever had symptoms related to epilepsy (seizures or loss of consciousness) when exposed to flashing lights, consult your doctor prior to playing. We advise you should the stop playing if you experience the following symptoms:dizziness, blurred vision, eye or muscle twitches, loss of consciousness, disorientation, any involuntary movement or convulsion,while playing a video game, IMMEDIATELY discontinue use and consult your doctor.
    I'm sorry but if a slight flutter of wings on the Fae makes you physically ill, stop playing immediately. It may save your health, and it will definitely ensure my happiness!
  19. ARCHIVED-Cica Guest

/agree woth Roux11
    not sure what eq2 is rated, but pretty sure its not rated E (for everyone) is it ?
    and you can get vampire illusion from bloodlines = no wings
  20. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

I think some of you may have misplaced the point here. It's not necessarily the self-winged toons that are bothering folks. Now, if you could cast Vampire Illusion over all Fae/Arasai in your group or over a crowd, maybe that might help. But likely not. People tend to get edgy when you transform them into corpse-smelling blood-drinkers when they're not looking.

Faerless