Arasai/Fae Wing Movement = Discomfort for some

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Faerless, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

OK, just to reiterate, like the above poster. These problems are not just occuring to people who play fae/arasai. They're also occuring to people who play non-fairy races but wind up grouped with them.. As I said earlier in this thread, my arasai inquisitor has been asked to leave groups because her wings were making another group member ill. I'm guilded right now with a dwarf fury who can't play fae/arasai because it makes her ill. To spend time with this guild mate, I log on a different non-fairy character.
    Someone mentioned earlier having a /wing fold command that would cause the wings to fold behind the fae/arasai as if they were sitting. I love this idea. This would solve three problems with one fix, and it wouldn't have to be a client-side fix at all.
    1) It stops wing movement for people who cannot group with fae/arasai without becoming ill.
    2) It makes the wings less obtrusive for when you're raiding, in tight quarters, or in racial illusions. (Why don't racial illusions hide those blasted wings?!) What's more, is that it would do this without hurting fae/arasai identities, as I still feel that a /hide wing command would be like me having a /hide head command for all the other races.
    3) Hopefully, it will also stop our flight so that fae/arasai scouts and brawlers can actually train up their safe fall without having to buy a mount or lock themselves in combat.
  2. ARCHIVED-Youngone31 Guest

I did a /feedback in game to ask for a /wingfold command and ask friends and guild members to do the same. Alot of thought it was a good idea because that say that wings block people views and can be distracting. Best thing to do is to ask your friends and guild to /feedback in game.
    For those people making rude comments about people having problems with fae/arasai wings, you need to learn how to read better. There are peole that do not play these races that have problems with them. Some of these people been have been playing this game since day one and did not have any problems until these races were introduced into the game. Since you think you are in the position to tell people to quit the game over this, you should refund these people thier money.
  3. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

Sapphirius wrote:
  4. ARCHIVED-tendo2 Guest

Valid points to have a CLIENT side toggle fix to halt wing movements. I agree with them and to the folk who disagree with it I have no idea why such a change could or would affect you aside from having another thing to click on the Options menu. It seems like a No-brainer. That being said though resources are being flooded into the RoK and the new unified skeleton model so I don't see an immediate fix to this. It may go in with the skeleton model.
    Short races such as Fae also have the illusion of seeming faster run speed as well due to the proximity of the ground to your eye level which can be unsettling as well. Tall races seem lumbering but in a race side by side they run at equal speeds.
    While I myself don't suffer from these effect I do sympathize with those that do. Its a simple solution and it affects only oneself if you choose it.
    I haven't really felt much love for the Fae. They took over my beloved Kelethin after all and sure the Darkies feel the same way over Neriak. Some of the other stuff that was mentioned that have been tooken out for whatever reason still bugs me though. I kinda miss the skele cackle on my necro. Wolf and tiger noises etc. Those did affect everyone because they were server side fixes. The having the option to stop wing animation as a client side option is perfectly fine by me. Even if it can free up a few more ounces of computer processing to not animate the wings would be welcome I would think. It boggles the mind to think one can be against it aside from folks throwing their glands around gloating I don't have this problem so therefore I'm superior and that makes my opinion is superior. Its just Ego tripping.
  5. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

tendo2 wrote:
    It boggles my mind that you can make these assumptions at all, as I have'nt seen any signs of gloating in this thread. I don't suppose you can mitigate your own feelings of superiority long enough to quote a few relevant passages in support of this 'gloating'?

I've made my points, (none of which were glandular in origin, or gloating in nature).
    If this, or ANY game is making someone ill, they should not be playing it.
    There are simple ways to reduce many symptoms now....I've posted some, and googling "headache, nausea, video game" will turn up more.
    Unless the number of people with these symptoms accounts for a significant percentage of players, then no, it's not worth the time, and effort to code changes.
  6. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Youris@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Ya know, that blue text on these black backgrounds is horrible for my old eyes to try to read. It gives me a headache trying to read it, and I have to highlight the text to see what those words say. Since this element places a strain on me, should I be forced to leave the forums? That is the logic you're using after all.
    Every single Fae/Arasai I know that raids does not do so in their natural form. They use racial illusions from petrified eyes. Unfortunately, that high elf illusion your Fae swashbuckler is using also makes her wings so large that no one can see around her. Sure, she could raid as an orc, or if she has Bloodlines and has completed the collection, as a vampire... but who really wants to run around looking like an ugly green orc for 6 hours? Who wants to be forced to buy an adventure pack so they can wear a "pretty" illusion that doesn't have wings?
    How is having a /wing fold command a "cosmetic nerf"? Nothing has been nerfed... at all. Rather, a choice would be given (server side, not client side) to fold your wings or not. Just yesterday, you were all for choices in a different thread. Why are you against choices now?
    A /wing fold command would solve the problem of gargantuan wings on a raid. It would also solve the problem of people who are playing in dungeons in 3rd person and can't see anything through their wings because they've backed up against a wall. It would also solve the problem of skilling up safefall without having to shell out multiple plats for a horse (if they made folding wings have your fae/arasai actually walk instead of hover). It would do all this without hurting fae/arasai identities because I truly do feel that asking for a /hide wing command is tantamount to me asking for a /hide head option... even if it's client side.
    The added bonus on top of all this? The icing on the cake? The cherry on your sundae? All those people (and it's way more common than you seem to think it is) that have no problems whatsoever in this game until they group with a fae or arasai won't have to ask that fae or arasai to leave the group or have to leave the group themselves.
    How on God's green earth... or in EQ2's case... How on the gods' green Norrath can you possibly be opposed to something that would offer so many positive benefits for the fae/arasai races?
  7. ARCHIVED-tendo2 Guest

Bah it ate my post so I guess i'll write the short version
    Danadark came across very strong early in the post. Gloat - 2. A feeling of great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction. Maybe not the best word to describe it but was very colorful with his remarks as if he enjoyed it. I don't get where my superiority part comes in.
    I agree though if this game makes you ill don't play it. but is it unreasonable to want request a change that can allow you to play it?
    I applaud that you offered advice on where to look to for help.
    And I'll admit there could be a performance issue with the checking process which might warrant it an option you select and relog the game to apply and switch out a program that defaultly skips the wing animation (not something you can toggle on the fly) otherwise the game would have to check to see if that option is selected everytime any fae is required to flap it wings. Which can if given enough Faes be alot of unnecessary file access. It might not be in SOEs best interest to invest people into fixing this problem because it hard to even guage how many it affects. There could be folks out there who think its normal they got a headache from staring at a screen. SOE isn't exactly obliged to address this either. They and every other video game company posts at least something about you should discontinue use if you experience this this or this. Its more a legal protection for them because the game or any game can potentially give people those symptoms. How would you determine whats more important an issue the prevents a handful of people from playing the game or an issue thats far less critical but affects certain classes. If I may a little humor... I think i'd like to see this fixed before they come around and nerf my class :)
    Seriously though I can't fault them for asking for it. It just seems a raw deal you've been fine with it for 2+ years and they add something and now theres a problem.
  8. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

Sapphirius wrote:
  9. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Yeah. Hehehe. The red is way better. Thanks. You can blame my age for not being able to read the blue text.
  10. ARCHIVED-Vanilla1 Guest

Hi
    I must admit, that I am a big fan of choice, so I would never come here and say you should not have the choice to turn the wings off in options...and if you manage to get that option, then all good.... however... I do have to say that if you are gonna turn off the wings, does seem a little pointless playing a winged race...
    To me this would be like when you see someone choose to play a pet class, then for some reason decide to play that class sans pet... but hey I guess each to their own:p
    Ghostwolf
  11. ARCHIVED-alexisxo Guest

If you can't handle looking at moving wings, should you really be playing this game?
    That, and if you don't want to look at them, don't play a fae/arasai. Sorry if thats harsh, but sheesh.
  12. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Hey, Argul, hun? Love ya, but the problem isn't when they play fae/arasai. The problem is when they group with them too. I don't have a problem witht he wing animation, but far be it from me to tell someone they can't play the game because they do. I do have a problem with hiding wings. I'd much rather they be folded.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ivellious Guest

I'm completly against the "if it makes you sick, don't play" arguement, because thats not fair to the people that just want to have fun and one little object makes it not fun, and fixing said object woulnd't hurt teh game whatso ever.
    Meclizine 12.5mg is a good thing to take pre-fix if you have naseua. it's an anti-naseua medication that is mainly used for motion sickness. Headache take either APAP 500 mg (Tylenol) or IB Profen (Advil) those are the generics and work 100% the same as the name brand and hella cheaper. All of these you can find at any pharmacy, they are over the counter.
    Saying to a person that, "you shouldn't play then" is being really anti-sympothetic. These people just want to have fun, play a cute/evil little ferry or group with one or raid. Hell some people have been playing since release and didn't have a problem till EoF came out, why shoudl they quit because of a cosmetic fix, it makes no sense and is extremly unfair. The fix wouldn't take the devs attention away from any bug fixes. IF I'm not mistaken I beleive EQ2 has a cosmetic dev department, that does nothing but fixes and change appearance things. animations, appearance tab, armor looks, bugs with certain combinations of effects and etc... So that would not keep devs that work of class balancing, combat, zones and etc. from doing their job.
  14. ARCHIVED-Nemisiis Guest

Wow, I don't feel so bad after reading this thread. I have always had problems with video games and getting sick to my stomach. In one player games also. Mostly it's when I'm moving in narrow corridors or twisting and turning a lot. I experience severe motion sickness in RL too. I really thought it was only me who would get sick looking at a video game! lol
    Now having said all that, I play a fae warden and it doesn't bother me. However, given the fact that I have experienced what you all are feeling, I can certainly commiserate with you. I think it would be great if they could put a command in to stop the wing motion if that would help you all.
    I do get headaches sometimes. I never thought to attribute it to the wing motion but it's certainly possible. I do NOT play in first person. That is sure to get me sick no matter which of my characters I'm playing (the rest of my other chars are wood elves). I always play in third person.
    Very interesting post. I'm glad you brought it up, especially since I didn't realize other people had this problem. :)
  15. ARCHIVED-Wilde_Night Guest

Meclizine can be found over the counter in both forms of Dramamine. I am an avid sufferer of motion sickness (stupid wacky inner ear) and light triggered miraine headaches. The Fae/Arasai have never given me problems, but that is not saying that others are not affected by it.
  16. ARCHIVED-Themaginator Guest

Romero@Mistmoore wrote:
    insensitive bastard its a real medical issue you know...
  17. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

Sapphirius wrote:
    You're welcome. :) I've only been trying to avoid red, because it often times gives more an antagonistic, or combative 'feeling' than other colors. And I'm really trying hard not to come off as a loud mouth jerk......with mixed success, I should add.
  18. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

Ivellious wrote:
    1. I do sympathize with those who can't play whichever games they prefer.
    2. The "don't play" advice, for those made ill, is good advice....there are conditions that can be far more serious than a headache. If someone is experiencing symptoms that worry them, they should get checked out by a doctor before playing further.
  19. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

And unless you're standing over their shoulders and paying their medical bills, you don't know that they haven't seen a doctor about it.
  20. ARCHIVED-DngrMouse Guest

Sapphirius wrote:
    Without knowing, it's still sound advice.