Am I nuts? I'm 55 years old and love EQ2 as a newbie...should I grow up?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-SentiumHoru, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Skywarrior Guest

I'm 55 years old, retired military. Started playing EQ1 in 1999 after being introduced to it by my son. I have four grandsons. Oh yeah, and my wife plays too. Been married to her for 36 years and we sorta have similar interests. Go figure.
  2. ARCHIVED-roeddog Guest

Don't beat your kids, at 55 it's a fair assumption they are old enough and big enough by now to hit back and the phrase "Son, this is going to hurt me more then you" will definately ring true! :)
    The economy will still be just as bad, and worse after Jan. 20th, whether you're playing or not so escape the worries for a while. Besides, EQ2 has it's own economy you can worry about and it won't give you ulcers.
    I'm quickly approaching the milestone 50 and my kids, 24 & 18 one married the other off to the University rarely if ever play a computer game. "Dad how can you waste your time on those things?" they ask. "Just why and how do YOU think you survived your teen years?" usually ends the conversation and is a good place to end this post.
  3. ARCHIVED-Pacman730 Guest

Looking at it from a younger standpoint, I'm 19 and can't stand taking the time to read a book or anything like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm as active as can be, two jobs and a full time college student.
    I started playing eq2 when I was 15. Your age IRL means nothing in this game. As long as you enjoy the game, that's what's up. Who cares about what people say. The people who are opposed to you playing the game... Have probably never played themselves
  4. ARCHIVED-Huntress Jellica Guest

SentiumHoru wrote:
    Maybe you should do it anyway.. >.> Just kidding!
    Don't worry about what other people tell you! There's nothing wrong with wanting to escape the real world. =)
  5. ARCHIVED-Morgonn Guest

SentiumHoru wrote:
    Pffft! 52 here and started playing one week after EQ released the Ruins of Kunark...LOL. I've made friends that I will cherish for the rest of my life thanks to this game, wasted a huge amount of time and had a BLAST! Do what you like, tell the rest to go play.
  6. ARCHIVED-momzplay2 Guest

Ding! 53 here!
    Introduced both my kids (17 and 19) to on-line gaming, but the hubby just stands firm and shakes his head. The deal is, if he will try it, I will give golf a try.
    Still solo gaming in EQ2 (1 kid in WoW and 1 in CoH).
    The folks I have met on-line gaming have been wonderful, and chatting with folk from all over the country, and the world, really reinforces the fact that all thing aside, we are all very much alike.
    Having the opportunity to travel to FF to meet Guildies face to face brings a level of fun to the game that is incomparable - real names, real faces, real friends!
    Melodee - you got it just right!
    No plans to grow up here!
  7. ARCHIVED-Miss_Jackie Guest

My boyfriend who recently turned 50 enjoys gaming.
    You're never never never too old! :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Felinae Guest

I am 52 and have been playing since my son introduced me to a game called Everquest in September, 1999. My husband and I play side by side. Most of my kids and their familys play or have played depending on RL time and commitments. We all have a good time.
  9. ARCHIVED-Delight Guest

Well you have a few choices here.
    Watch reruns of Desperate Housewives, maybe even buy the series so you can keep watching it all the time.
    Go to bars and spend a LOT more money.
    Play sports and sorry chuck but those young guys will make you ache.
    Play golf (notice its not included in sports) and get you some cute flowery shorts to wear.
    Or play EQ2
    -1-9 chat can seem like desperate housewives sometimes.
    -Although the drunk doesnt last you can still annoy people as though you were drunk in EQ2
    -You can beat up the young guys in EQ2 and not have to worry about the ache's and pains
    -sorry no golf but for me thats a perk.
  10. ARCHIVED-GrandmaC Guest

You are definitely not nuts. Hopefully you can see that by now with all the responses. You are also not the oldest player. We have at least 2 people on our server that are over 70. So quit wondering about such silliness, you young whippersnapper and just play!

By the way, I am 51 Female and a techy nerd. How's that for going against the curve??

Remember punch cards??? I sure do. Hacked into my college algebra test back in the days of punch card and reel to reel refridgerated units that took an entire building just to process what we can now do with the lamest system on someone's desktop.
  11. ARCHIVED-donilla Guest

51 years old here, and female besides. I got hooked playing Sierra Online games back in the day, and I won't apologize for enjoying Everquest. I started in EQ1 about a year after it began, the same for EQ2. I've loved fantasy since I read LoTR when I was 12, and I've been a Ranger in every game I've played since then! And I don't need to grow up, I already did and recognize the value of play :)
  12. ARCHIVED-DaFriar Guest

32 year old gamer forever here. I recall back when EQ1 first came out, I would spend hours at a time playing the game, and my mother would state "How can you just sit there and play that game for hours every night?" then she would go into the living room and sit in front of the TV for 3 hours.
    At least playing an MMO I'm excersing my brain a bit.
    You can only be young once, but you can Immature forever! :)
    Play on!
  13. ARCHIVED-Isisalthea Guest

Hello my name is Isisalthea and I am an Everquest 2 addict. I am 62 and was introduced to online gaming by my son 3 years ago. It beats sitting and watching TV every night. I have made some of my closest friends here in Norrath. I socialize more here then I ever did in the real world. I will always strive to be Peter Pan and yes I belive in fairies.
    Edited for typos.
  14. ARCHIVED-Krystara Guest

My Mom has a saying "they can make you get old, but they can't make you grow up." I intend to live by that motto as well. There is absolutely no reason to not play as long as you aren't totally ignoring your responsibilities in the real world.
  15. ARCHIVED-Sr_Guide_Kellin Guest

If you are then so am I (just turned 58 one of my guides is in her 70's so maybe we are all nuts But as long your having fun don't worry about it
  16. ARCHIVED-Anordil Guest

<laughs> Have fun with it!
    I'm thirty. I've guild members who are older than I am and I've guildies that are younger. I've met people in EQ2 who are in their fifties and sixties whom I'd likely not meet anywhere else and I'm glad to have met them. :)
  17. ARCHIVED-Psynaut Guest

I am 46 and started playing EQ about a year after release. I don't know whether you, or I for that matter, should grow up. I guess if I was raising a family or something my life would be different, but it is just me and my dog and gaming is fun for me. Sometimes I play it a little too much when I should be sleeping or in the office, but other people are taking kids to the doctor and stuff, so I guess it all evens out.
    I think the only real mistake is to compare your life to someone elses, especially if you are using other peoples lives as the standard of what's right. Normal isn't usually best, it is just average, and often counter-productive and self-destructive (McDonalds for example). I think a person should do what makes them happy, if you are happy that is the real measure of success in this world.
  18. ARCHIVED-Wolphin Guest

19. ARCHIVED-SentiumHoru Guest

Hi everyone. I posted the original message and I am really pleased reading everyone's stories. Young and Young at Heart are enjoying the game! To celebrate I'm going to buy 4 everquest action figures, so there! I'm having a blast and look forward to being a part of the EQ community!
  20. ARCHIVED-coffee2025 Guest

You have to get old, but you don't have to grow up.