Am I nuts? I'm 55 years old and love EQ2 as a newbie...should I grow up?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-SentiumHoru, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-SentiumHoru Guest

Everyone thinks I'm nuts. Late at night there isn't much to do, not much on t.v.. I read a lot of fantasy and enjoy "living" in another world. So I go play EQ2 for awhile, good escapism. Should I grow up and sit around and worry about the economy or beat my children?
    Why is this game so fun? Evercrack indeed.....
    A newbie just wondering.....
  2. ARCHIVED-Slowburn Guest

You know, I've been playing this game on and off for the last two years, and I just keep coming back. There's no crafting system like EQ2 besides Vanguard, which is buggy at best. Great dungeons, grouping, world pvp.. so much depth. It's definitely a great game to spend some time on.
    Plus, your kids wont have any bruises this way :p

Slowburn
  3. ARCHIVED-Elorah Guest

SentiumHoru wrote:
    Lol. NEVER grow up! If you enjoy the game and it does not consume your whole existance, then play it ;)
  4. ARCHIVED-Kahlef Guest

Not at all. A person must do what makes him happy no matter the age. :)
    Heck, I am 27 and sometimes I get looks from people like I shouldn't even being playing computer games anymore, like it was a child's thing. It is really not worth worrying about those people.
  5. ARCHIVED-Paladin776 Guest

SentiumHoru wrote:
    I'm not all that far behind you (less than a decade), and I've been playing for around 9 years (where does the time go?). If I were you, though, I'd spend a little time on the former, stay away from the latter and if the urge for that gets too great, log in and smack some orcs or whatever around instead. :)
  6. ARCHIVED-Tinrae Guest

I once had a guildmate who was 76 years old.
    This man had worked hard all his life and simply saw the game as one of the perks of his retirement. He enjoyed immersing himself in a fantasy world, didn't care a lick about being 'uber' or competing with the 'younger folk'- he just enjoyed the camraderie and especially the casual voice chat coversations with some interesting people he met.
    I'm happy to have known him, a player who enjoyed the game purely for the sake of idle fun.
  7. ARCHIVED-M0rticia Guest

I have been playing everquest 2 since beta and I have known players that ranged in age from 11 years old to their late 60's. In my experience, most of the people that play EQ2 aren't children, they are adults. If you are having fun playing (which it sounds like you are! :) ), then why worry about what others think? It's something you enjoy, keep on playing! :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Ticker123 Guest

Kahlef wrote:
    27? Wait til you hit 37 lol
    ...cant imagine 52. Thats great though. Keep playing and have fun
  9. ARCHIVED-Niltsiar Guest

I'm nearly 50 years old and play EQ since beta of EQ1 - was january 1999 if I remember right.

Oh and have a look at my signature ;)
  10. ARCHIVED-Ralany Guest

If you're nuts then most of the rest of us are too! I'm 51 and have been playing since shortly after EQ1 launch, my kids and son-in-law used to play too but they've allowed RL to consume their time. I work full time and play everynite for 2-3 hours and find it a good release of frustration smacking stuff around LOL My adult daughters think I've not grown up either but that's ok...I may have to grow old but I most certainly don't have to grow up! Keep playing and enjoy yourself, life is way too short NOT to have fun while we're here!
  11. ARCHIVED-Kyle0373 Guest

35 year old gamer here! I've been playing games in one form or another since I was 11 or 12. I play EQ2 just to forget about RL for a few hours. Like others said....as long it doesn't interfere with important RL stuff, play on!
  12. ARCHIVED-Steelheart Guest

Why should you have to grow up?
  13. ARCHIVED-StormQueen Guest

SentiumHoru wrote:
    Trust me, ye aren't nuts at all. Not even close. I am 45 and have played this game since launch, and EQ before that. Escapism, yes it is. Why should I (or yerself) feel trapped in the workaday world anyhow? We have to live and work there; it's nice to get away for a while. I like being a 7 1/2 foot tall Barbarian in this fantasy world of Norrath.
    It's fun in part because there's so much depth to the game.
  14. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

I read a news article recently stating that over half of American adults play video games regularly. If the study's results are plausible, then we gamers are actually in the majority. :) Oh, and .... apparently those of us who've always considered console gamers to be immature were right. Teens playing console games outnumber adults by a wide margin. :p Okay, back to work I go!
  15. ARCHIVED-kuari Guest

I'm 53 and I prefer to play EQ2 to watching TV any day! People think I'm crazy but I get to interact with people I would have never met if I wasn't playing. It's a great escape and a wonderful way to meet folks from all over the world and interact with them. You aren't nuts, probably a bit more sane than some because you aren't a couch potato locked away from the world. Enjoy!!
  16. ARCHIVED-deKoven Guest

SentiumHoru wrote:
    Hmm, you're 55 and you think you're nuts for playing. What does that make me; in another month I'll be 67 (yikes) and play for sometimes 10 hrs at a stretch. Course, I play in the morning so I have my evenings free to watch TV. And, lest ye get ideas, no, I'm not even gonna think about growing up.

17. ARCHIVED-Kulssin Guest

39 years old here.. feel like I'm 100.. look like I'm 25.. and treated like I'm 10. ;)
    I've gamed online since the 400 baud modem was the staple connection to BBS systems and during this long journey have made many wonderful friends, several who I've met in real life and have become a part of my life. Some of the "kids" that I found myself gaming with years ago have grown in to responsible and mature adults. So, when I'm confronted with a fellow player who is many years younger than me.. I remind myself that one day he/she will posting here about how old they feel just like we are today. :)
  18. ARCHIVED-Catwalkk Guest

I'm 49, and I've been playing EQ/EQII since I was 41. This is lots better for me than TV, any day! I'm disabled and if it weren't for my EQII friends, I'd not talk to a real person for days (and sometimes weeks) at a time. I don't wanna grow up; I'm an EQII kid!
  19. ARCHIVED-Melodee Guest

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an everquest kid
    They got a million mobs on everquest that I can play with
    From orcs to gnolls to epic dragon
    It's the greatest game there is! Gee wiz!
    I don't wanna grow up because if i did
    I wouldn't be an everquest kid!

51 here myself, with 16 and 18 year old sons who also play the game. In fact, they're the ones who got me addicted!
  20. ARCHIVED-Zehl_Ice-Fire Guest

Growing up is lame. Tis why I am never having kids, they suck the life out of you. If it brings you joy why not! EQ2 has a huge amount of players over 40, from people I have gotten to know and guildies over the years, I'd say the biggest chunk of players are close to 30, with a lot of 25 and 35-45 year olds as well. There are not many under 20 (I wish they'd make it an adult game, since I hate being evil and yet I still am like oh sure I'd love to help you out with your lost puppy!)
    IMO the game is more suited to people late 20s and up who have already done their RL partying, clubbing etc, and are quieted down now.. it does take a lot of your time if you want to be good and there is just so much to do and learn in the game.