No Fix Planned 4K monitor

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Torquem, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Gyrascrape New Member

Will this EVER be fixed so I can adjust the resolution for window mode???? I cannot play this game anymore since the 4k update. I like this game...have been playing it since 1999. This is the first time I can't read a thing (except chat text) I have sent a bug report...I have also posted to another bug thread in this forum and I have tried contacting CS...who told me to come here even though I'd already been. I have not played in full screen for 15 years and have like the ability to access other programs as well as being able to read anything.
    I know I'm not the only one with this issue. As a long time and loyal client I am very disappointed with how this is being ignored by both the devs and CS. Before the 4k update it was possible to adjust the resolution for window mode WHY can't this be put back into the game?
    Unhappily Gyrascrape
    boredorm likes this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

darqui has a 4k mode for patreons i think
    Forestchild likes this.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

They do indeed. Check out EQ2Interface for the details. You can have immediate access to the software enhancements they're doing by joining Patrons/Darqside. Minimum cost is $3 a month for literally everything they have. They're constantly churning out improvements all the time. I know some will complain about the cost, but frankly, three bucks a month is nothing when you can actually see again. And the improvements they've already made to the interface and added enhancements is great. I know folks will complain about the cost, but why would you expect to have these folks spend their time doing all this work for free?
    And yes, DBG should have been ahead of the game on this given the advancements in technology we've seen. There hasn't been any UI updates/upgrades in a very long time, which is why EQ2Maps, DarquUI, Profit, etc. hit the availability many years ago.
    Again, your choice, but if you want to see what's been taking place, go to EQ2Interface and judge for yourself.
    Breanna and Forestchild like this.
  4. Gyrascrape New Member

I said it before...DarqUI is a 3rd party fix which I will not pay for. I've already shelled out enough for this game over the years. They (Daybreak) caused this and they should return the variable resolution for the game in window mode. NOT Darq. Will ANY Dev please respond to this?
    On another note....I have a life long account but it says I'm "new" here.
    Twyla and boredorm like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

Based on the way bug reporting and prioritization works, no one agrees that this is a significant issue.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/how-to-report-and-upvote-bugs.590898/
    Daxdd and Bhayar like this.
  6. Bludd Well-Known Member

yeah there is a solution, its not perfect but thats just the way it is

maybe 64 bit client will make this easier to implement in the future since you need newer OS to run it
  7. Gyrascrape New Member

I disagree. It is important if it prevents someone from playing. I WILL NOT play in full screen, since other programs are not accessible. I find it annoying to say the least. Therefore, since I cannot read a damn thing unless I put my face 5 inches from the screen it affects game play. And if you read the first post here you'll see I've already sent a bug report & left posts here before AND contacted CS (who no longer deals with technical issues) And there has been no reply from any devs as to the reasons why we can no longer adjust resolution for window mode or why they will not/can not reinstate that ability.
    If others are "happy" to limit computer access while they play...that's their choice. Not mine.
    Oh CS did mention that there are others that are also having this same issue, but are not able to "help" us. I just don't understand if they had it before the 4k patch why are they now forcing everyone to play full screen if they want to read anything? My seating situation cannot be altered to sit closer. And even if it could I wouldn't want to sit that close to the screen to play a game I have enjoyed for decades in window mode.
    I have a 64 bit system full ram and 4gb vid ram and win10. More than enough to run the game.
    Twyla, boredorm and Levatino like this.
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

You have options. If you choose not to use any of them available to you, that's your call. As I said, there's been no major upgrade/improvement work on the UI for many long years--probably because the outside software devs did the job for Sony/DBG all that time. I'd be surprised if they had a single employee working on any aspect of the UI or mapping programs. From a business standpoint, why put resources that cost money into doing work that someone else is doing for you for free? I'm not disagreeing with your stance about what ought to be fixed, I'm just saying that given all the issues, they ain't gonna fix anything until people leave and force the issue. When people stop doing work on the UI for free, you may have some argument. But right now, whether you like it or not. DarqUI has the only fix out there. After that, you have a choice...play in full screen or don't play at all. And trust me, I don't like it either. Playing EQ2 as Mr. Magoo ain't a great option. I don't know that a move to 64bit is going to do anything because there's no one at DBG that actually works on the UI. And they ain't gonna start when people are doing it for free (up until DarqUI 2k/4k project).
    Twyla likes this.
  9. Taled Well-Known Member

If you play in 'Borderless Full Screen', you can pick the UI resolution... Then you can alt-tab without it causing issues in the game, and use any of your other programs. It's more annoying than the windowed version; and admittedly 'borderless full screen' is kind of nonsense considering the regular full screen doesn't have a border in the first place, but it is *effectively* windowed full screen but requires alt-tabbing.

It's dumb, but it is a work around. Minor hassle, but it fixes the UI scaling issue - or should, anyway.

(Hell, with two monitors you *might* not even have to alt-tab, but since I use a laptop as an actual lap-top to play, I only use one screen.)
    Twyla and Bhayar like this.
  10. Gyrascrape New Member

Thanks Taled. I do know about this way BUT I cannot watch tv or films while playing in full screen and I find it very inconvenient to constantly have to tab out to access other programs that I use at the same time. And no room for 2 screens....even if I did have room still wouldn't be able to access the same computer and play at the same time.
    As for supporting 4k...since they initiated it with that patch they should support it now regardless of other 3rd party programs.
    My points are these...Why are they forcing everyone to play full screen just to be able to adjust resolution which was available before the 4k patch to work in window mode? Why isn't there any technician replying if/when they will address this. AND is there NO other option other than a 3rd party "paid" program that will allow someone to use window mode and READ it again??
    I apologize if I seem angry at any of you that are trying to help. I am just so frustrated that I can no longer play this game in window mode and getting no answers or help from Daybreak.
    If I could cancel monthly/yearly membership payments I would. But I have invested in the life time all access since I have been playing so long already.
    My computer does support 4k if I want. I just can't read it from where I sit. I've even tried editing the ini file but it keeps defaulting to 4k.
    Ms Magoo.....
    Carizia, Taled and Twyla like this.
  11. boredorm New Member

I am in total agreement with Gyrascrape - why has no dev even replied to this? CS basically told me that it wasn't their problem, and to report it here. It is very frustrating - I've played EQ2 since the beginning, and have always played in windowed mode so I could access other programs. Alt-Tab does not work for me - If I am in full screen, at a resolution I can comfortably play, and alt-tab, my game resolution reverts back to native 4k.

It is maddening to say the least.
    Gyrascrape and Twyla like this.
  12. Gyrascrape New Member

Well this is stupid....why couldn't cs or a tech tell us this.... I found a work around. Try changing desktop resolution under display settings (right click on desktop for menu option and have game open in window mode while doing this) Keep changing it til you find an overall resolution that works for both game (window mode) and other programs. It's not perfect but at least you can better read and see things when playing. I found 2560 x 1440 to be ok. I still am hoping that they will reinstate the ability to alter the resolution in window mode without having to mess up all other programs.
  13. Gyrascrape New Member

I see that not one admin here has replied to any of the questions. And CS are helpless....but at least they REPLY!
  14. KingDragon Active Member

On page 1 of this thread, I mentioned this as potential work around, which in particular doesn't work well for me, as it changes screen sizing three at 4k, one at 2k (not really sure if it's 2k or 3k proper) it skews the mouse as you try to drag items from one monitor to another because one window is smaller than the rest, which also affects apps that are set to larger resolution but when opened on the smaller monitor are now too large to fit and hang off screen. It also seems to Jam the Gamma way up for some reason, but not as bad if attempting to do windowed in 4k res. I would suspect that anyone running multiple monitors will be in the same boat unless you change all of them to the 2560x1440. If this is working for you super, would still like to see this addressed personally.

Going to try Taled's suggestion with borderless full screen. I'm already sure I'll be annoyed to heck and back if it requires alt+tabbing.

It was working perfectly fine prior to that GU, taking the "lets not respond to it" and "not my problem" stance definitely hits aggravation and frustration. I came back hoping to see some Daybreak/Darkpaw input only to see yet more comments of people affected by this.
    boredorm likes this.
  15. KingDragon Active Member

I'm getting a different reality than what you describe here.

To set Borderless Full Screen(BFS), I had to Alt+Enter to windowed mode to be able to check the box, it refuses to allow it be checked in full screen mode. Once in BFS the "Full Screen UI Resolution" drop down is grayed out. I thought at first it was cause that monitor was set to 2560x1440, but after re configuring it back to 3840x2160, it's still grayed out even after attempting to relaunch the game in BFS mode. Sitting in BFS also uses the native res and everything's spread out and too small to read again, so not an option unfortunately.

If you are setting the Operating System desktop size to 2560x1440 you don't need BFS as an option.

Also, through testing, I am unable to move my mouse outside of the EQ2 game window while in BFS without Alt-Tabbing or using Alt-Enter to cut over to windowed mode. Hope that information helps anyone.
  16. boredorm New Member

it is disheartening that the only people responding to this are people who are having issues; not one response from tech.

Setting my laptop display screen to a lower resolution *just* to make game-play workable is not an acceptable solution for me. I would literally have to change how I do *everything* else just to have my normal game play resolution, something Daybreak changed on presumably a whim...and has not taken any responsibility for, or even offered a simple reason for it. Why take away the ability to adjust the resolution in windowed mode, when it has been a function since the beginning?

playing in full screen mode, and setting the res to something playable is fine, but when alt-tabbing, it reverts to 4k res and i have to manually change the game settings every time i leave/return.
    Twyla likes this.
  17. Levatino Active Member

Also have this issue, haven't played EQ2 since that update cause it's becoming unplayable.

Hope it will be changed
    boredorm likes this.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

But there is. The tag "QA in progress" tells you it's being reviewed.

For now, the simplest fix is to spend $3 to join Darqwood's Patreon, The Darq Side, and use the DarqUI Unified with the new 4K UI components.
  19. Victor1990Vega New Member

Here's the simple free fix.
    • Right-click EverQuest2.exe and choose Properties from the context menu
    • Open the Compatibility tab
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button
    • Click "Change high DPI settings"
    • Check "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in Settings"
    • Choose "I open this program" from the combo box
    • Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
    • Choose "System (Enahnced) from the combo box
    • Click OK 3 times to accept these settings
    • Re-launch EverQuest 2
    It will scale 150% by default on Win10/11, making the UI fairly easy to read on a 4k display.

If you feel more scaling is absolutely necessary and are willing to make everything look bigger, these steps will further scale the UI for visibility on a 4k display.
    • Right-click your desktop
    • Choose "Display settings" from the context menu
    • Choose 175% or larger from the Scale combo box.
    • Restart Windows
    If you're still having any problems getting EverQuest 2 to scale, try these steps.
    • Right-click EverQuest2.exe and choose Properties from the context menu
    • Open the Compatibility tab
    • Click the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter button and follow the suggested steps.
    Here's the game windowed in 4k under Windows 11 with scaling set to 200%.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Pantaro likes this.
  20. boredorm New Member

When the resolution issue initially occurred, I attempted to use this 'fix' - at the time it did not work, though I admit I may not have selected the option for 'all users'

Nevertheless, I thought I'd try it again, following the very detailed instructions, and the first time I double-clicked on Everquest2.exe, I was able to log in, and access my windows (browser, file explorer, etc) while playing the game. This method requires me to log in when running the Everquest2.exe program directly, which admittedly is a small price to pay in order to play the game as I normally would.

My normal way to start the game is running the EQ2MAP Updater, (on completion it starts the LaunchPad which verifies/updates all the game files), or to run the LaunchPad directly. I updated both of these programs as the everquest2.exe example, but when running either, I still have the same issue (4k res in game).

Now, when I try to directly run the everquest2.exe program, it loads in the 4k resolution, back to square one, unless i'm missing something. It is frustrating that it appeared to work once, but is not on subsequent attempts.