No Fix Planned 4K monitor

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Torquem, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Torquem Active Member

Hi

After today's patch, 4K playing is almost impossible.

The UI has shrinken, and is barely readable.

The issue is the same with default UI or DarqUI.

Only workaround: downgrading resolution to 1440p fullscreen.
  2. Telepath Active Member

I have noticed this. Playing the game in any form of windowed mode causes the UI to use the 4k settings of the monitor. playing in full-screen fixes this since you can select the "resolution" of your UI which probably should have been labelled "UI scale" since it doesn't seem to change the game graphics other than the UI. would be nice if UI Scale was useable in windowed mode too though.
    boredorm and Twyla like this.
  3. bladesmaster Member

UI is also noticeably smaller on my 1080p monitor too. :(
    Twyla likes this.
  4. Gyrascrape New Member

I have this issue as well. No matter what resolution I try in window mode the font is minuscule (although, if in full screen the font is enlarged again when changing resolution). I have played in window mode for years and use Darq UI. I usually have other programs running that I want to watch while I play. As soon as I switch from full screen to window mode I need a telescope to read any text. Also game keeps defaulting to full screen even though I've unchecked the option both in login game settings and in game through display options. Just a question...why aren't there options to resize the font in other windows in the game except for the chat window?
    Daxdd and boredorm like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Look on EQ2Interface.com. DarqUI has an experimental 4K version they've been working on.

There are some windows currently in DarqUI that do have a larger size option: I see the Target Window and Quest Helper Window specifically mentioned. You just need to look at the Window Options and see what's available.

It looks as if you need to be a paying member on Darqwood's https://www.patreon.com/thedarqside site to get some 4K UI bits. You would need to contact Darqwood and ask if you are in doubt about ponying up $5. There's downloads for a Large and an XL version of the Broker Window available on the Patreon without subbing.
  6. Torquem Active Member

Paying a third-party programmer, just to be able to play, is far from normal....
    Levatino likes this.
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

LOL, define "normal" for this game. You have ACT, EQ2maps, Darqui and there used to be Profit, etc. 3rd party software has been around for a very long time.
  8. Idoru New Member

I have a similar issue. Before the update on April 12, EQ2 supported windows scaling. Now it does not. I have Windows 10 with display resolution 1920 x 1080. In my Windows Display Settings, the Scale and Layout is set to 125 percent. EQ2 is now ignoring this setting. It is now incredibly difficult to read the text in EQ2.
    boredorm likes this.
  9. Torquem Active Member

As far as I know, those softwares are free. (except DarqUI 4K)
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Bhayar Well-Known Member

True. But someone spent time doing all that work. I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because as of yesterday's GU, EQ2 is now virtually unplayable/accessible. I have support tickets in and their solution hasn't worked. You wouldn't think a simple patch to a game would completely fubar customers, but there we are.
    Breanna and Gyrascrape like this.
  11. Gyrascrape New Member

"Ponying up" any money to a 3rd party developer does not compute when it wasn't their mistake. The devs at eq2 should be able to return the screen resolution options in window mode since they caused this. I haven't played in full screen for ages and have had it at a reso that is comfortable to read at the distance I am at. Now I have to put my face 5 inches from the screen just to be able to read what was readable before. I do not like being forced to play in a mode that I don't want to and haven't had to play in before, just to be able to comfortably read things.
    I have looked in the setting for darq and haven't found anything that really helps.
    Levatino and boredorm like this.
  12. Telepath Active Member

Maybe there will be a new premium subscription tier that includes 4k support
  13. boredorm New Member

*exactly* this - I have also been playing in windowed mode for years, and now because (I guess) scaling is not recognized by the game, everything shows at a native res of 3840x2160, and no option to change that (greyed out in OPTIONS when in non-full-screen mode). To play in full screen means I don't have access to any other programs/websites - pressing alt-tab or alt-enter automatically changes to the higher resolution.
  14. boredorm New Member

I tried to get some help from Support - but they want me to remove all the config files, including characters, and/or reinstall the game to see if it 'resolves the issue'. This seems like a standard reply, sort of like 'please reboot your machine' before any effort is put into researching the issue. Then they said to report 'bugs' here... so... I guess everyone with a 4k monitor and wants to play in windowed mode is just SOL This is very frustrating
  15. KingDragon Active Member

Adding comments here, I've bugged it a few times in game, no one I've ever heard from is aware of anything being done, or said about this from the company side, no forum posts I've seen, no patch notes, not seeing anything on the discord either. I'd love to have windowed mode back. I'm not going to go out and buy more monitors at lower than 4k native res just to get it back, and I'm not going to some paywall site for a 3rd party UI to get it to work either.

Would love some information from the Daybreak team on this, awareness?, working on a fix? Waiting till after the 64bit release (which isn't going to fix this)? Something in the GU was pushed out to systems that made the change. Every other app/game I have works perfectly fine windowed and fullscreen.

This adds the frustration of the game dropping windowed mode every time I submit a bug and then I have to wait for EQ2 to let go and go windowed, so I can do anything, and then at that point re-enter full screen mode or I can't interact with the UI.

Yes, I've attempted to change the in game resolution, it's only changeable in full screen mode now, and in windowed mode the option isn't changeable or enable-able at all, regardless of resolution setting in full screen. (This is one of the things we would like to see reverted, we used to have the option to change this IN WINDOWED mode, in the game.

Changing the Resolution in the OS itself down to 2560x1440 allows the game to run in windowed mode, without the "smalling" effect on everything, or having the cursor be registering in a different screen location than where it visually is. However it's still not quite right, it's grainier looks downscaled compared to the colors/saturation/better definition prior to the game update on 19 April 2022. Almost like.... trying to run run a dvd on a 4k monitor expecting it to look like the 4k edition.... Doing this also requires me to manually change the OS resolution back when I close the game so everything else I'm running on it runs as intended/how I set it up originally, adding quite the hassle no matter what I do. I suspect I would need to do more tweaking of OS resolution and in game windowed resolution, but again I'm locked out of tweaking in game windowed mode resolution at the moment.

I went ahead and installed the game into another drive with "no files copied over" (it's a default install/patched, no manual/copied configs) and I get the exact same results. Windowed mode works perfectly fine on any of my other systems that are not using a single or multi-monitor display capable of 4k res

Original Issue for me: OS Resolution is 3840x2160 on all four monitors, cannot change in game resolution in windowed mode, in windowed mode my cursor is never actually where it visually appears, text is chopy/blurry but almost sized as expected. Full Screen mode I'm fine, but I'm stuck in just the game, 3 monitors wasted, can't interact with email, twitter, browsers, while game is running. This was not the case prior to 19 April 2022 Game Update. On ALL my systems, windowed mode resolution cannot be changed from the game.

GeForce 3080TI
    four MG28UQ ASUS Monitors in 3840x2160 each

GeForce GTX 1050
    two L28u-30 Lenovo Monitors in 2560x1600 each

GeForce RTX 2060 Super
    two U3014t Dell Monitors in 2560x1600 each

Multiple laptops (none go higher than 1980x1080, mix of ATI and Nvida graphics chips)
    boredorm likes this.
  16. KingDragon Active Member

Update - Intended to fix my date to 12 April 2022, not 19 April 2022, Game update on the 12.
  17. boredorm New Member

I didn't think to report a bug in game on this issue - I may do that just to add another twig to the fire. Also, I did not notice the mouse not being where it should be, until you mentioned that. I am using a laptop, with 4k res, Dell Precision 7720, screen 3840x2160
    NVIDIA Quadro P3000
    I attempted to use a backup copy of my Everquest2.exe to see if I would have the option to adjust the in game resolution, but this version does not match the server version, and won't load (didn't expect that to work TBH).

I also noticed that if I have any web pages open when entering EQ2, and if i change between 'windowed' and 'full screen' mode within EQ2, and exiting EQ2, my pages are all resized to fit the 'full screen' resolution used in the game.

I have an external monitor (currently re-purposed for someone's home office) that I was originally using for the game - it left my laptop open for other uses, and I seem to remember playing 'full screen' on the second monitor - I may have still been playing in windowed mode, just maximizing on the second screen, not sure. It seems you should be able to play full screen on a separate monitor, though?

Regardless, nothing else is affected, only EQ2.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

EQ2 has never supported 4K. You always have to set a lower resolution, just select one that matches your aspect ratio.
  19. KingDragon Active Member

While I see some of the posts in this thread can be discerned as asking for 4k support, I dont' think that's the ask here. Certainly not by me. We just need the in game ability to change resolution again, like we had for oh so many years in this game since before the update on the 12th. The game was perfectly fine on a 4k screen in windowed mode using a lower set resolution in game for the window. Whatever they changed, now locks you to the OS resolution, which was not the case previously.

As to always having to set a lower resolution... in game that's true (but they took that capability away), out of game on the OS, that's not true.

I'm not against 4k support either. But I absolutely want that customization back.

Past behavior was the "Full Screen UI Resolution" box was not grayed out and locked when "Full Screen" was unchecked. You could click in, get the drop down list of supported resolutions and select one to apply. No longer the case. This would resize the games fonts, windows, spacing of windows/hotbars, all the while leaving the OS resolution alone and mouse behavior was normal.

[IMG]

There's another thread or two on the forums with fewer posts, which is why I appended to this one (hoping for a dev to hit it) and in most cases everyone is asking for the ability to change the games UI resolution from windowed mode again, which I see how that could be mistaken as wanting 4k support.... but it's not. It's just wanting the ability to "jiggle" the configs to make it work with a 4k desktop like it used too.
  20. boredorm New Member

Ah, perhaps since i only use the 4k res screen I was unaware that the option to chose a custom resolution may have been what was changed. I just checked a friend's computer which is not 4k. He also has always played in windowed mode, but also has always used his native screen resolution - his game play is unchanged, but the option to change the in-game resolution is grey (not changeable).

So, it seems like KingDragon is right, the change seems unrelated to 4k monitors, but with the ability to change the screen resolution within Windowed mode.