Fixed Internally Game launcher stalls after update

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Rattophaxe, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Arandar Well-Known Member

I think choosing to not use Steam for EverQuest II is the most solid advice you'll get. There's no real benefit to using it, and apparently it's been causing a variety of issues for people.

Edit: And Steam does have the ability to add non-Steam games to your library so if using the Steam UI is really an important thing for you for whatever reason, you can still do that.
  2. boredorm New Member

How is this still an issue?! Why isn't anyone from Darkpaw responding?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. wind Member

Still not working
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

For anyone who has the launchpad working but gets dropped back to desktop after hitting 'play' delete your eq2_recent.ini and let the game rebuild it. Warning - you will have to redo a bunch of custom settings but it should get you in.

For anyone who still has launcher issues re-install it or failing that try deleting your launchpad.libs folder and see if it can rebuild from there. Warning - even if it does rebuild you will lstill ose your settings and gain a dragon so be prepared to reset everything.

Edit: the problem setting in the eq2_recent.ini is the line:
    software_cursor_enabled true
    this needs to be deleted or set to false.
    Twyla and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...but what about clicking the check box about looking for the rest of the fully installed files and being content with that? Getting rid of the old launchpad.libs and getting new ones would interfere with that? :-/

Uwk
  6. Arandar Well-Known Member

Deleting the LaunchPad.libs folder effectively resets the launcher back to its default state, so you'd need to re-enter your login credentials and any changes to the settings you've made will be lost. It's not a huge thing, just something to be aware of because they still default to the streaming version of the client.
  7. Bunji Developer

I'll back out recent software cursor changes for tomorrow's update.
    Twyla, Breanna, Tkia and 1 other person like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Twenty years of changes to personal settings sounds like a pretty huge thing. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Arandar Well-Known Member

It's really not because deleting the LaunchPad.libs folder doesn't do anything to your in-game settings. It only affects the launcher and not the game client itself.

Resetting the launcher can potentially fix problems with downloading updates and logging in. It won't fix the crash people are apparently seeing after the game has been updated. Apparently, that has to do with changes made to the "software cursor" feature, and I imagine the number of people choosing to use that particular option for whatever reason is fairly small. Looks like something Tkia came across and posted about how to work around it for now (in other words, don't use the software cursor option).
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Tkia like this.
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is related or you might want to check deeper into that client build but I just got this new one popping up:

<verify> g:\live\eq2\game\client\src\ClientNet.cpp (415): Failed sendMsg (/42)bytes: 14

Toon was in Tim Deep on AB server. Pulled up the fast travel map, selected Antonica and on clicking zone map to choose destination got this error followed by a fast trip to desktop.

Edit: when I logged her back in just now she was actually at her destination, so it did follow the instruction despite the error.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Twyla like this.
  11. wind Member

STILL NOT WORKING
  12. Rolant Active Member

STILL not working (software cursor bug should be treated as a different problem, as this thread's original problem is stalling, not crashing).

I've been using EverQuest2.exe to skip the launcher for weeks, but because of this morning's patch, the client needs updating so the game is now unplayable for me.
  13. wind Member

I've reinstalled the game, it's working now.
  14. missconstrue New Member

I have used everyones suggestions and its still not patching
  15. saysni New Member

eq2setup does not repair my installation; it finds the installation ok and lets me select it
    but then flakes out claiming it is the root of my program files. its not the root of my program files it is 2 levels above it
    C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II Play the Fae
  16. boredorm New Member

I am in the same boat - this is beyond frustrating...
  17. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Guildmate had same issue and had to put in a ticket to it fixed today.
  18. boredorm New Member

Update - made full copy of "D:\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest II" folder *just-in-case
    downloaded the installer from main EQ2 page, EQ2_setup.exe
    ran the installer
    selected same location, and luckily it accepted the location. It downloaded/installed DirectX files, like a dozen of them, and finished the update.

I have a 4k laptop, so I have a link to the EverQuest2 file (set up for compatibility - that's a whole other thread) - I wasn't sure it would work, but it started right up. Account login screen showed up and the patcher is now working - I verified I could run it directly running Launcher, thru my compatibly link, and thru the EQ2MAP updater mod i have installed. Everything in game is fine, which I expected, but it's nice to verify.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen, yeah. :) What's frustrating is having to dance through so many hoops... X-P

Uwk
    wondering if this dancing has anything to do with the old wads of spaghetti code... :-/
    boredorm likes this.
  20. Ratalthor Developer