Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't either; it always comes up on the "G: drive" for whatever peculiar reason. There have been many, many, many posts attempting to explain this, and I still don't really get it. X-P

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You need a third-party graphics hosting program like Photobucket, Imgur, DeviantArt, etc. to be able to upload images to these forums. Get one of those (if you don't have one already; I prefer DeviantArt, the price is right [= free :D]); publish your screenshot the way they prefer; right-click on your published screenshot to get an image-only page; Copy the URL at the top, come back here, hit the Insert/Edit Image button in a post (looks like a little tree in a landscape), Paste the URL in the empty line in the box, et voila! :D

Uwk
    Skarltar and Schmetterling like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That looks EXACTLY like my error; I'm on Win10, though I'm not sure of my DirectX version, I'll have to look that up.

"I'll be back." --The Terminator

EDIT: Yep, like I guessed, DirectX 12 as well. :-/

And no, the game never started up, at least not on that machine. It downloaded what updates it needed (it'd been awhile since I played on that laptop), then, boom. X-P

Gonna try on ye olde Win7 desktop... ;->

EDIT: Okay! Slightly different error message with the Win7 (6.1, Build 7601 [whatever that all means], DirectX 11); still can't get in:

EverQuest2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point __CxxFrameHandler4 could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.

Good thing I'd pretty much finished everything I'd wanted to on Test for Erollisi Day... :(

Uwk
    whose main difference between the Win10 laptop error and Leetch's is, of course, where the game files are located ;->
    Raeven likes this.
  4. Raeven Well-Known Member

Attempted to log in, and got this error message on launchpad:

The procedure entry point __CxxFrameHandler4 could not be located in the dynamic link library E:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\Everquest II\TestServer\d3d9.dll
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! It seems that when the error mentions where we have our game files, it's an issue on our end? And when it mentions something like "msvcrt.dll" it's something on their end? Or vice versa? :-/

No idea, but there is a difference somewhere... :-/

And that d3d9.dll came up again...

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  6. Saelfina Member

Unable to log in.

Ran Validate Game Assets. Still unable to log in.

"The procedure entry point _CxxFrameHandler4 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\Everquest II\TestServer\d3d9.dll."

System:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home updated
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor
    DX12 updated

Thank you for putting this onto Test.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  7. Bunji Developer

I'll remove these dlls from the patcher shortly which may be causing a conflict with system dlls: d3d9.dll, d3d11.dll, dgxi.dll
  8. Bunji Developer

QA identified that having Sun Shafts enabled may also be causing a crash.
    You should be able to force this off in your eq2_recent.ini by changing r_sunshafts to false.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  9. Raeven Well-Known Member

Managed to log in, but immediately got another unrecoverable error message:

<verify> G:\test\eq2\framework\core\devices\directx11\DirectX11RenderDeviceData.cpp (1813): DirectX Error. (error)

It's the same message I got at the beginning of this thread.

Edit: I tried Bellisa's suggestion in another thread of setting performance to max and textures to minimum in the settings in the launchpad, and got the same result. Immediate crash with above error message.
  10. Raeven Well-Known Member

Not sure where these are supposed to be. A search of my EQ2 directory found 3 things starting with eq2_recent, no sunshafts in any of them. A search for r_sunshafts found nothing.
    Trakum and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Bunji Developer

The eq2_recent.ini should live in your root install folder or the "TestServer" folder where the executable and eq2_default.ini are located.
  12. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Ok, so I fell asleep yesterday and wasn't able to test any further, but I gave it a shot again just now. The only thing that I did this time is delete the Steam Proton Prefix (Linux) in order to try from scratch. Patcher did its thing and after that I was actually able to login and play a bit. I did experience one or two crashes after running around in Qeynos area, no error windows though, will have to investigate later as I play around with the graphic settings. Here are a few screenshots:

[IMG]
    openSUSE Leap 15.5, Proton 8 (dxvk enabled), Nvidia RTX A2000 6GB 75Watts (low profile workstation gpu), i7 7700, 64GB RAM, 3 monitors at 4k60 reso, 60-70 fps at native 4k resolution and extreme graphics (everything set to max) in WINDOWED mode = fps takes a little dip as always, Fullscreen is around 70-85fps in this exact same spot, alt-tabbing is much better / fast / reliable now compared to dx9

[IMG]
    Same system, same graphic settings: extreme graphics, FULLSCREEN in native 1080p this time (for comparisons sake), fps-rate at 95-150 fps depending on scenery

Well, that doesn't look bad at all! In addition, you can also use AMD FSR to upscale 1080 -> 4k which basically gives me the performance of 1080 at similar looking 4k reso, which is great all things considered. Btw, it would be nice to have a built-in FSR or DLSS option for this exact reason (low-end computers would benefit the most from this). Either way, native or upscaled, the above is all native btw, performace is looking really good right off the bat!

Will continue to test tonight and report back.
  13. Raeven Well-Known Member

I managed to get in on a different character, reset my graphics (after having reduced them per Bellissa's suggestion) changed zone, did not crash. Switched to the character I had tried to enter with before, thus far it is still working.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Right after I posted this it crashed with same error message. And I do not have sun shafts turned on.
  14. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Can you post your system specs for comparisons sake?
  15. Raeven Well-Known Member

My problem seems to be related to our T4 guild hall. I have managed to log in with low graphics settings, zone around various places, no problem. I have changed the texture back to High, still managed. But if I zone to our guild hall it crashes, no matter what the settings are. So now I have several toons stuck in the guild hall :(

As for my specs, these are the ones I assume are important:

Processor: AMD Athlon 3000G with Radeon Vega Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM

AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics
    Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x15D8)
    DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)
    Device Type: Full Display Device
    Approx. Total Memory: 8279 MB
    Display Memory (VRAM): 241 MB
    Shared Memory: 8038 MB
    Direct3D DDI: 12
    Feature Levels: 12_1, 12_0, 11_1, 11_0, 10_1 etc.
  16. Bunji Developer

I re-enabled MSAA (Multi Sample Anti Aliasing) under Performance -> Display (pushed out new clientvdl.bvd file to patcher).
  17. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Awesome! That was much faster than expected! Thanks! So that means this is probably not an issue anymore? -> https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/ambient-occlusion-on-mouse-over.605542/

Will try it out in about an hour and see how it goes.

Sidenote: Can you take a look at the water rendering / ripples that used to be there in the past pls (see link above)? Or did that effect go away due to the water graphics upgrade around the time when Qeynos got its visual overhaul (iirc)? Would love to have those water ripples back, unless you are going to upgrade the water at some point anyway now that we have more advanced DX11 shaders at our disposal. If the latter is the case then my question doesn't matter anymore ofc.
  18. Raeven Well-Known Member

Not sure what this is for, but I entered on a toon NOT in my guild hall. I set the MSAA to 2 samples and restarted the game. Entered on a toon outside guild hall, then switched to a toon in the guild hall. Game did not immediately crash, so I got out of the guild hall fast.

Then I went back in, no crash. I used the telepad to go to various areas of the guild hall, still no crash.

So, that seems to have fixed my problem, thank you!

Edit: OMG, I need to learn not to celebrate so quickly! Yeah, game just crashed on toon in guild hall again, same error message.
  19. Bunji Developer

We've identified a few crash issues (with repro) and are working on them. I'll update once we deploy more fixes to Test.
  20. Raeven Well-Known Member

I think this has scared people away from Test. Usually there are at least 10 players on. I am all alone on Test server atm :(