Character Account to Account Transfers Unavailable

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Darkale, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! I'd thought it was more expensive than the server transfers, but I may be misremembering. The last time I've even thought about it was during The Great Consolidation for my Silver account toons on the servers that would be disintegrating, when I realized I hadn't done much with them in the first place yet and should probably just delete and remake them, after handing over all their hand-over-able stuff to a "placeholder" Gold toon (and then redistributing it all to their "descendants"). ;->

Uwk
  2. Inyuyasha Member

you used to have to petition it it would cost the $25 DBC non-discounted for being a member where as the server transfer was a token you can buy with the 10% member discount... that was the only cost difference
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Thanks...of course, it all may be academic now... :(

Uwk
  4. Fendaria Member

Still hoping this comes back one day
  5. Tajar Well-Known Member

I remember that service, it was all automated, it was great. It was a similar form to changing your toons names, and you could change all your toons names on one form for the price of 2 names! lol
  6. Svenone Well-Known Member

Server to Server transfers are still completely automatic, the Account-to-Account transfers were always manual, but when they changed things in the underlying framework of their system they screwed the pooch regarding the manual transfers. What nobody understands is WHY this hasn't been fixed by now. The only thing I can see is that they don't want to provide that service any more, but they know that would not sit well with their customers so they make up stories about "technical difficulties".
    Mindsway, Geroblue, Kawoosh and 5 others like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Either that, or for whatever peculiar reason, they can't get it to work at all, and rather than admit to that (and get it back to manually operated; maybe they broke it so badly even that can't be done?), mutter around about how it'll come back Some Day(TM), which is longer, relatively, than Soon(TM). :-/

Uwk
  8. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

"Here's the thing ..." Monk, Adrian

I know this has been said before many times: A transfer of a character from one account on a server, to another account on a different server (server to server transfer) continue, but a transfer of a character from one account, to account account are said to be "complex."

To be obvious:
    • "transfer of a character from one account on a server, to another account on another server" - Working
    • "transfer of a character from one account, to another account" - Broken
    To be more obvious:
    • "transfer of a character from one account on a server, to another account on another server" - Working, 2500 SC
    • "transfer of a character from one account on a server, to another account on the same server" - Broken, 2500 SC
    HUH?

Once upon a time I was a database administrator (And Never Again!), and you know ... the above two processes are functionally equivalent.

After a wait of ten (September 2017-June 2018) or nine (October 2017-June 2018) months, I'm beginning to believe Daybreak will eliminate character to character transfers. That seems the direction, as Daybreak does not have this service on it's other games.

In a few weeks it will be eleven months; a lengthy gestation period. Before the chatter becomes 'staff is concentrating on the Fall release, and can't spare time for side projects,' maybe players/paying customers should spend a little time talking to Daybreak. Or see this service disappear.

This thread would be a good place to do it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  9. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I am confused. I thought that what was working was sever to server transfers within the same account only, but anything regarding an account to account transfer was not. Is this incorrect?
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

Yes.

To be obvious:
    Transfer of a character from one account to another account. Not working
    Transfer of a character from one server to another server, on the same account. Working.

There are no other options.
  11. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

hmmm. You're right ... facepalms ... I did an evguenil ... oh the pain, the pain.
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

While I haven't been in charge of a database, I have had to create accounts on multiple systems. Its not difficult if the systems are capable. The most recent, I'm retired, I did this with I couldn't transfer user info from machie to machine. But it still wasn't difficult to make several user accounts across multiple systems.

The most I had to deal with was about 300 people in one month. My opinion is that it would be faster in the long run to write code to do it, than to continue to do it manually. But I don't know the programming language here.
  13. Svenone Well-Known Member

SOE used a top tier database program, probably Oracle, for a long time. When they became DBG they needed to cut costs and, since Oracle is very expensive, they switched to a cheaper (I have heard that it is actually open source and free, but can't verify that) database. We still had account-to-account transfers after the switchover, but my guess is that it was taking a lot more manpower with the new database (which is significantly slower), so they decided to suspend that service. They probably had the good intention of writing an automated system, but complications arose and the project got sidelineed. The real problem is the same problem most businesses have: They hate to own up to their failures. They would rather be silent, or issue statements that are functionally meaningless drivel, rather than just admit that they screwed the pooch and can't provide the service anymore.

That is my opinion, I have no concrete proof to back it up.
  14. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Like everything else in IT, databases are evolving in a rapid tempo. While Oracle is still doing strong, other databases are capable of doing about the same, Microsoft SQL Server is very good for instance. Freeware databases are quite good as well if you know where to use them and how to use them.
  15. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Well, yes.

Sony Online Shifts From Oracle to Open-source Database
    Mar 27, 2006
    https://blogs.computerworld.com/art...ifts-from-oracle-to-open-source-database.html

Sony Online Entertainment Replaces Oracle with EnterpriseDB
    https://www.enterprisedb.com/customers/sony-online-entertainment-replaces-oracle-enterprisedb
    http://get.enterprisedb.com/datasheets/success_soe_2.pdf

Well, no.

http://testforums.eq2oathsworn.com/showthread.php?p=9147
    OathAdmin 03-25-2011
    "I hate to kill all the cool conspiracy theories, but all EQ2 DBs are still Oracle. The only EQ2 DB changes we have made since launch are hardware upgrades and performance tuning."

Well, it's yes; 2015.

Notes from Today's EverQuest II Twitch Livestream for Feb 18, 2015
    https://eq2wire.com/2015/02/18/notes-from-todays-everquest-ii-twitch-livestream-for-feb-18-2015/
    "Holly talked about how the EnterpriseDB migration is still under say. This is a lot of back end work to upgrade EQ2's game servers which will have huge benefits once it's complete, including Cross-Server Dungeons. The servers have been getting updates this week (thus the 4 hour maintenance windows) with an OS upgrade which is part of this process."

Holly: "This database work is coming in phases throughout the year. We're converting our entire database system. We'll be asking you to help us on Beta to test and make sure everything still works. Some changes to how the Account system works. Getting our house in order so that we can do these kinds of features like cross-server. Handling very large character files better (some characters have so much data they cause zones to crash when they zone, which has been debugged in the last few weeks)."
    Holly: "After cross-server dungeon finder and the database changes are up and running, we'll have a lot of options besides server merges."

The company and database mentioned:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/
    "For enterprises of all sizes, EnterpriseDB is the most complete open source based data platform for Digital Business.

https://www.postgresql.org/
    "PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system with over 30 years active development that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, feature robustness, and performance."

Between then and three months ago:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/customers?page=1
    "Sony Online Entertainment Replaces Oracle with EnterpriseDB"

As of "87 days ago":

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/software-engineer-c++-at-daybreak-game-company-llc-603563663
    "Experience in database programming against RDBMS such as Oracle or Protgres, or experience in NOSQL database.
  16. Svenone Well-Known Member

Whether it is a database software change, or a hardware change (or both), I noticed a significant slowdown afterwards. For instance, my six-room house in Freeport used to load it's contents very quickly (1-2 seconds) but after the change it often takes 10-15 seconds to do the same task. I even saved and reloaded the contents to refresh things and it made no noticable difference whatsoever. My computer didn't change. My internet connection didn't change. My EQ2 house and the contents of that house did not change. But the database engine DID change. When only one thing changes and a significant speed loss is noticed, it's easy to place blame. I wish I had before and after videos to show, but I do not.
  17. Probe One Member

Today on EverQuest 2 Discord.
    [IMG]

Can we get 25% off account to account transfers

[IMG]
    Kander
    Account to account transfers are in the process of being automated

some of us have been waiting almost the entire 9 months they have been down. The best way to get things accomplished is to continue asking.

Gninja
    Doesn't hurt to ask as long as its not asking in a rude way
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Probe One Member

Today on EverQuest 2 Discord.
    Kander is hard at work. On a Sunday?? :eek:o_O
    [IMG]

do we have an eta on account transfers if they go in

[IMG]
    Kander
    Account to account transfers are in the process of being automated, we still do not have an ETA.

can we even get like a 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months for transfers? just kinda?
    not tryign to be annoying
    Rosyposy and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Probe One Member

Last time on Daybreak.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...unt-to-account-transfers.583477/#post-6490065

Roxxlyy, May 9, 2018
    Jamiss, May 31, 2018

Today, from the Discord EverQuest 2 gallery.
    [IMG]

is the ability to transfer a character from account to account available yet?

according to the website, no
    I have a guildy who needs to do that, so i looked it up the other day (if you find out otherwise do let me know tho? I know sometimes games arent great at updating things like that on their sites.)

Thank you Dia, cancelled 2 accounts, wanted a character on 3rd acct but...saves me money and less in DB's pocket. Perfect
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I was also looking at an entire merge of 2 accounts as well and that would have been a lot of money since they charge by the character and there 19 characters on the account I wish to merge into another account.

I wish they would fix the gifting function too!!