Character Account to Account Transfers Unavailable

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Darkale, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

"We'll get there when we get there!" --Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible, The Incredibles (1)

:D

Uwk
    Rosyposy likes this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

Movies are great for fun quotes.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

We used to get told "yes we were there and you were sleeping so you missed it".
    Dude and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw! :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  5. Grimm New Member

Over 100 replies and over 6000 views and next month a 1 year wait anniversary. Why not go back to manual transfer?

Last year reason manual transfer killed was bodies needed on next expansion, now called PoP. Same reason now?
    Svenone and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  6. Probe One Member

[IMG]

https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.3/pg/sql-copy.html
    COPY table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ]
    FROM { 'filename' | PROGRAM 'command' | STDIN }
    [ [ WITH ] ( option [, ...] ) ]

COPY { table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ] | ( query ) }
    TO { 'filename' | PROGRAM 'command' | STDOUT }
    [ [ WITH ] ( option [, ...] ) ]

where option can be one of:

FORMAT format_name
    OIDS [ boolean ]
    FREEZE [ boolean ]
    DELIMITER 'delimiter_character'
    NULL 'null_string'
    HEADER [ boolean ]
    QUOTE 'quote_character'
    ESCAPE 'escape_character'
    FORCE_QUOTE { ( column_name [, ...] ) | * }
    FORCE_NOT_NULL ( column_name [, ...] )
    ENCODING 'encoding_name'

Description

COPY moves data between PostgreSQL tables and standard file-system files. COPY TO copies the contents of a table to a file, while COPY FROM copies data from a file to a table (appending the data to whatever is in the table already). COPY TO can also copy the results of a SELECT query.
    If a list of columns is specified, COPY will only copy the data in the specified columns to or from the file. If there are any columns in the table that are not in the column list, COPY FROM will insert the default values for those columns.
    COPY with a file name instructs the PostgreSQL server to directly read from or write to a file. The file must be accessible by the PostgreSQL user (the user ID the server runs as) and the name must be specified from the viewpoint of the server. When PROGRAM is specified, the server executes the given command and reads from the standard output of the program, or writes to the standard input of the program. The command must be specified from the viewpoint of the server, and be executable by the PostgreSQL user. When STDIN or STDOUT is specified, data is transmitted via the connection between the client and the server.
  7. Seni Active Member

If it were only that simple. Any query would probably involve at least 20 different tables because of inventory, guilds, dungeons, banks, housing, depots, object stacking, etc. They can't just run copy.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Interesting and extremely specific conjecture on the database structure. Or is it insider Dev supposition?

Although there is some insight using the Daybreak Census API. http://census.daybreakgames.com/

Back in the day if you had to deal with a repetitive task involving "20 different tables" or any middling number, you'd use a script consisting of "20 different" copy lines or equivalent. Of course this assumes you can identify every single piece of data.

One example from Microsoft about bulk copy:

Bulk Copy Operations in SQL Server
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/data/adonet/sql/bulk-copy-operations-in-sql-server
    Bulk Copy Example Setup
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/data/adonet/sql/bulk-copy-example-setup

Looked at EnterpriseDB/ProstgreSQL, which Daybreak uses, and strangely enough there's a Copy example.

14.4. Populating a Database
    https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.3/pg/populate.html
    14.4.2. Use COPY
    Use COPY to load all the rows in one command, instead of using a series of INSERT commands. The COPY command is optimized for loading large numbers of rows; it is less flexible than INSERT, but incurs significantly less overhead for large data loads. Since COPY is a single command, there is no need to disable autocommit if you use this method to populate a table.

If you cannot use COPY, it might help to use PREPARE to create a prepared INSERT statement, and then use EXECUTE as many times as required. This avoids some of the overhead of repeatedly parsing and planning INSERT. Different interface provide this facility in different ways; look for "prepared statements" in the interface documentation.

Note that loading a large number of rows using COPY is always faster than using INSERT, even if PREPARE is used and multiple insertions are batched into a single transaction.

COPY is fastest when used within the same transaction as an earlier CREATE TABLE or TRUNCATE command. In such cases no WAL needs to be written, because in the case of an error, the files containing the newly loaded data will be removed anyway. However, this consideration only applies when wal_level is minimal as all commands must write WAL otherwise.

Let's skip the explanation of Insert or scripts
    https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.4/pg/sql-insert.html
    https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/51/migrate/EDB_Postgres_Migration_Guide.1.25.html#

Then again, depending on what Daybreak is doing with it's database:

9 EDB Clone Scheme
    https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/e.../EDB_Postgres_Advanced_Server_Guide.1.77.html
    EDB Clone Schema is an extension module for Advanced Server that allows you to copy a schema and its database objects from a local or remote database (the source database) to a receiving database (the target database).

The source and target databases can be the same physical database, or different databases within the same database cluster, or separate databases running under different database clusters on separate database server hosts.

What is a Database Schema
    https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/database-diagram/database-schema
    The term "database schema" can refer to ... the entire set of objects belonging to a particular user

All this is an interesting but academic sidebar. Daybreak considers transferring data on their database to be so complex, that it takes a year to figure out how to automate the process of transferring a single player's data*. o_O
    * To be fair, Daybreak is able to transfer a single player's data through the Server to Server Transfer service.

Which is why I'm really here.

Account to account transfers
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...unt-to-account-transfers.583477/#post-6490065
    Happy Birthday account to account transfer project.

"Happy Birthday" is public domain
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...domain-former-owner-warnerchapell-to-pay-14m/
  9. Probe One Member

9/5 on the EverQuest 2 Discord gallery.
    [IMG]
    Lush
    Anyone heard an update about account transfers any time recently?

9/11 on the EverQuest 2 Discord gallery.
    [IMG]
    ejaab
    When are char transfers going to be up?
  10. xxev New Member

We all wanted a way to catch all our alts up to our mains and they gave us some options. Account wide flags and baubles for progression, content and epic 2.0 and even itemsfrom summer events like the panda fun. Now..... you move one of these toons to another account and ..... what..... flag all the toons on that account the same way? How about transferring the toon many times on many accounts and using as an exploit. Is this function going to be expected by everyone doing transfers? The only way to be fair is to LOCK ALL PROGRESS to the toon being transferred so it will not produce flags or baubles on the new account. This will not take anything away from the transferred toon and the reward and progression function for the new account would not change for existing toons. NOW........ Here come those that feel it would be punishment to have a toon progress locked from the new account. I think the trick would be to have the toons progress locked to the rest of the account at that point but to still be able to correctly progress with the rest of the account after the toon transfer. Sorry.. Just a thought. Automatic or manual transfers have many of these issues to deal with now.. I just don't see simple transfers possible any longer. As easy as it is to level toons/tradeskills or just purchase the baubles for level/tradeskills... there are really no reasons to transfer toons anymore. There is much more to all of this but this is what I see.
    Crazie likes this.
  11. Kitty Ninja Member

Sorry.. Just a No to your thought.

Transfers were $25 each. Server transfers are $25 each. What a cheap exploit, Not Not.

Amazing New Member knows Devs inner workings. This New Member like to know how you do it?
  12. Probe One Member

[IMG]
  13. Probe One Member

Last week from the EverQuest 2 Discord gallery.
    [IMG]

sicoticx
    there better off saying there woill no longer be account to account transfers lol

Bogie
    we can no longer go from account to account ? when did that start ?

Chienne
    Last year before the holidays if I remember correctly. Last I heard, they were working on a more automated system to take care of them instead of requiring personal intervention.
  14. Svenone Well-Known Member

I don't know what is taking them so long, unless they have an intern working on it when they aren't busy with other things. The claim that it is "another teams problem" rings hollow to me. DBG isn't that big of a company that employees don't or can't easily communicate with each other.

But to use Discord I have to use a VPN and a new account because something I said there apparenly ticked off the powers that be. All I can think of is either the negative attitude I have against beastlords (the class, not the players), or a message where I self-censored (was all symbols on purpose) a "bad" word. Either way, there was no warning, no explanation, just all of a sudden I was no longer in that channel. I had though I had left by accident, so rejoined, and the next day I was out again and couldn't even rejoin. /shrug I do not normally use "bad" words at all, and I see them used quite frequently by others, so I am really at a loss as to what was so egregious that it warranted the boot.
    Probe One likes this.
  15. Probe One Member

Last Thursday from EverQuest II Discord gallery.
    [IMG]
    Thor
    any plans to fix account to account transfers ?

Gathering threads for this tapestry. Last Friday from General Gameplay Discussion.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-and-yes-account-to-account-transfers.586554/
    EverQuest II Character Transfer Instructions, archive.
    January 14, 2018 http://archive.is/dfBWC
    "Account-to-Account transfers are a flat 2,500 Daybreak Cash fee per character."
    March 7, 2018 http://archive.is/48ErD
    "Account-to-Account transfers are unavailable at this time."

The date on that page was changed from "March 06, 2018" to "September 06, 2018"
    The content is exactly the same.
    [IMG]
  16. Probe One Member

Last Monday from the EverQuest 2 gallery.
    [IMG]
    Triv
    what bout dem accoutn transfers
    Rosyposy likes this.
  17. Probe One Member

Last Tuesday from EverQuest 2 Discord gallery.
    [IMG]
    kikimage
    Any new info on Account - account transfers? still being worked on or a dead horse?

Defilarfae
    ?

Salomy
    dead horse right now

CoLDMeTal
    soon™
    [IMG]
    kikimage
    @Caith and/or @Kander, Any update on the account to account transfers? Eta? Never going to happen?
    Rosyposy likes this.
  18. Probe One Member

Last time on the thread Moving Characters between Accounts.
    Heijo, Sep 20, 2017
    Lateana, Sep 21, 2017

Last time on a Jan 23, 2018 thread with 7574 views.
    Roxxlyy, Feb 21, 2018
    Jamiss, May 31, 2018
    Roxxlyy, Jul 27, 2018

October 1st on EverQuest 2 Discord.
    [IMG]
    Logix
    @Kander @Caith I think enough time has passed since the last time anyone inquired about the supposed automated account transfers. Could we please get any information/update? Have they been working on it? Any sort of expected time frame? I know several folks who are looking to shift characters around, myself included. Any information, please?

[IMG]
    Lush
    and third question would be about account transfers

Crilly
    that is one question tired of seeing on the forums and here.

Lush
    dont look then

[IMG]
    Kaerkor De'Glim
    tbh constantly asking about account to account transfers isn't going to get it done faster
    I'm sure they would have done it already seeing the demand if they could have

Breanna likes this.
  19. Probe One Member

Last week from EverQuest 2 gallery.

[IMG]
    Thor
    have they mentioned if account transfers might be available again after the expansion ?

LSU Tigers
    if Epic is no longer best ibn slot no reason to not open those transfers imo
  20. Crazie New Member

I agree with much of this. I would think you would lock all currency sharing so there would be no exploit. Like if a toon massed a ton of ethereal coins and transferred to account after account ... gearing up toon after toon and then selling those accounts. Just an example. There are keying exploits too if the toon can transfer account to account ... unlocking content and flagging accounts and exploiting by trading or selling this exploit to others. Don’t hate on me like they did on this poster because these kind of exploits have been done in the past.