Player Studio items I've created

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Rawl, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Rawl Well-Known Member

The shelves on the right are evenly spaced from top to bottom. I could adjust them so they align with the back boards, but once you set them against a wall, the shadow and wall will mute the contrast you see in my example pictures, so the way they are may be a non-issue.

I was asked by someone on my Player Studio Stuff Facebook group, to make the wood and towel lighter, and I will do that.

I can change the textures in various ways, but I can't just change the colors of stuff without making other modifications to the texturing. So, if they approve this set, I can consider adding other variations they may also approve.
  2. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

really?
    I could be mistaken, but I am quite assured I have seen armor and weapons that have EXACTLY the same shape and design,... just a different color.
    Since it is good for recolored armor & weapons, why not house items?

Since we can not "dye" armor nor house items,
    having different color selections would GREATLY increase our creative potential(s)
  3. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

The villas from a few years back are in different colors and the only change is the flowers which are just a couple pieces. Same with the Elven Conservatory with colors different but the only change is the floor texture. Your stairs all have the same shape but you made some changes to appearance. And I am still crossing fingers you plan on making the The Stately Quarter Round Right & Left Stairways as the other staircase style (8 step, spiral, etc.) and the 8 step/spiral/etc. ones as the Round Right & Left Stairways as well. I am not sure why they wouldn't allow an accessory item to be very similar but the colors be different and have the towel maybe shaped slightly different (have two hand towel shapes for example) and have the color,texture, and/or the detail item of towel change and since towel changed only the color of wicker would be enough for shelving. Piping could change color too. There is a detail pattern on the Stately stairs that would look good on a towel. Just like stairs we need certain accessory items to be in different colors. Oh and your onion dome roof...there are 3 of those just different colors/textures. I figured the tinkerfest like one to match the gnomeworks bathroom set wouldn't be wicker shelving and then use same color and textures as the bathroom set as well. You have done this with not only stairs but your castle walls. They allow plushies fish and sea horses and humming birds to have same shape but different colors. It was just an idea guess I am just bad at figuring out when artists can have items with just appearance (color, texture, pattern) changes and when they cannot.
  4. Merriel Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you Cey and Ocarinah, but I know that Jerry has submitted items with recolors on them before and they have rejected them for being too similar to his existing items in game. That is a lot of work for him to recolor them, only to have them reject the items, so I understand his reluctance to do so.

Ocarinah's suggestion to vary the shape and texture of the towels and cabinets, however, he might be able to get them approved. I just don't want to see him put a lot of wasted time and effort into something that ends up getting rejected because the powers that be think they are too similar to each other. If he can do the work and get the items approved, that would be fantastic!
    Rawl, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Gretel like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah, but the armor and weapons are usually made by the Powers, not by the PS artists... :-/

Uwk
    Rawl likes this.
  6. Rawl Well-Known Member

The Player Studio stuff has different criteria than the Daybreak Games staff stuff. I Think they want to avoid a marketplace filled with 100s of the same item with only different color variations.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  7. Rawl Well-Known Member

The thing about color variations of the same thing, is lets say I make a curtain which is blue, submit it, then use the same geometry and just change the color only to red. They will reject it. So, the way I have had other items approved which used the same geometry is by not only changing the color, but also the materials, i.e., wood, stone, metal, to something else. Additionally, changing some detailing to match the material(s) used.

For those items you cited, if you look at them more closely, you will see modifications beyond just color changes, and that is what they require for Player Studio stuff.

The advantage to changing the textures of items, from their technical point of view, is they can load one geometry mesh rather than a different geometry mesh for each item, which saves data space and load times. To go further, to use the same normals (bumpyness) map and spectacular map (light reflections) but change the diffuse (color) map, enables further saving of data space and load times since those files can be used for multiple items. I hope this helps clarify why somethings are approved even though they use the same geometry (shape).
  8. Rawl Well-Known Member

I lightened the wood and the towel. Is this acceptable to you?

[IMG]
  9. Rawl Well-Known Member

Here is the second version to match the first version.

[IMG]
  10. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

11. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ooh I love them both, but what happened to making one without the towel on it? I was so hoping you'd do one without a towel. :D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Rawl Well-Known Member

Well, I can still do that, but there is space on the texture maps for the towel texture, so if I don't put the towel on there, that is wasted space. Each of these use the same texture maps even though the two shown above are opposite shape of the other.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Yes, but if we have the towel rack without a towel on it, there are a multitude of things we can do with it besides using it as a towel rack, so it really isn't wasted space. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rawl like this.
  14. Rawl Well-Known Member

I was referring to the technical aspect, not the practical aspect. :)
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  15. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I love the one with the two towels but I wasn't the one requesting the item. I would love to have one without the towels as well...maybe make it more tall and narrow and could be a set?
  16. Rawl Well-Known Member

Part of the appeal to the creators and to the staff for set type of things, is they often use the same texture maps for various items in the set, which is true for these two items. If I modify the dimensions, then the textures won't appear properly when using the same texture maps, which means in order to have it look similar to the other parts of the set, I'd have to make a new texture layout for the one with the modified dimensions. It is certainly possible, and I could do that, maybe make it half as wide with just 1 or two shelves.
  17. Rawl Well-Known Member

I thought I'd try a different approach to the draperies since I got a revision request for that series. This version probably is also too high a tri count, so I may make the curtain widths which hang down half as wide (currently 2 ft. wide.) which will reduce the tri count quite a bit. Do you like this version?

[IMG]
  18. Rawl Well-Known Member

?
    I got a revision request on these which goes as follows, "Choose 1 of the two - the subtle differences aren't enough for 2 separate items in the store."

So, which one do you want me to choose?

Also, since they won't allow these variations, I guess the suggestions for the other ones is a no go :p
  19. Mystyrys Well-Known Member

I love the swag drapes! And I like the 2 towel version of the shelf.

[IMG]
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I agree! :)

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.