Windows 10 Launch

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Moonpanther, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Deago Well-Known Member

That reminded me of today while walking out from the pool I saw two lizards that appeared to be mating....or doing some odd double push-ups. :D
  2. Kelvani Well-Known Member

I upgraded and I can honestly say as a non IT expert it went smooth as silk. I also noticed the memory leak from win8.1 is gone, and that things run smoother. The load time is down on website pages, and the only "slower" load is on boot up. Glad I upgraded. I don't really LIKE edge.. because I am not used to it yet and I really am tired of tablet wannabe rollouts. However I will get used to it and eventually pare it down to show what I CARE about.
  3. Katz Well-Known Member

I upgraded my laptop from Windows 8, my gaming desktop from windows 7 pro (newer computer than laptop but I got 7 instead of 8 on it because I didn't like windows 8), and my desktop computer that I use for working at home, windows 7 home. Once I adjusted some settings on one of them (such as display resolution) and waited for the computers to update everything, they all work nicely.

I find that EQ2 is running significantly better on my laptop now. The laptop was the only computer giving me a lot of trouble with EQ2 but it isn't a gaming laptop. :p
  4. s7n7a7k7e Active Member

Got Windows 10 on all three of the computer's in my household on the 29th and a friend's as well. While I was waiting for the other computers to update I started customizing tiles for the Start Menu on mine. [IMG]

Btw... for anyone that doesn't know, you don't have to wait for the Windows Icon thing to tell you your reserve is ready. I installed Windows 10 on all of these computers using a USB. No need to wait.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Katz, Leloes, Deago and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rainmare Well-Known Member

if I go to upgrade to windows 10, will I have to redownload everything like ACT/Vent/Firefox/Eq2? or can I just upgrade to win 10 without redoing everything?
  6. Wurm Well-Known Member

I didn't have to re-install one single program.
    Rhodris likes this.
  7. flameweaver Well-Known Member

Like Wurm, I didn't need to reinstall anything, but did need to download a new version of Kaspersky Total Security as the version I had installed wasn't compatible with WIN10. Other than that everything OK

Backup your existing C: Drive to an external drive, then install WIN10 over the existing windows installation and you should be OK. The upgrade takes around an hour, and there will be a number of restarts of your PC during the process.

You'll only need to re-install everything if you decide to do a fresh install.
  8. Spindle Well-Known Member

My new gaming laptop is at the 15% upgrading mark! Yippee! I'm looking forward to the new OS. I'm only concerned about my genealogy apps. Genealogy programmers are notorious for proprietary bee-ess so don't be surprised if you hear some wild banshee screaming from the PNW in the next few hours. )) I really miss the wonderfully sand-box like Root III. OH, got off topic there.

See ya in game soonly ))
  9. Deago Well-Known Member

Are you productive in life? j/k :p:D

Awesome.
  10. Leloes Well-Known Member

Is Windows 10 playing all the GOG games?
  11. Spindle Well-Known Member

I'm in! Completely painless upgrade AND the genealogy apps work (so far) so call me one happy camper!!
    GrunEQ likes this.
  12. Praaji Member

You don't have to wait you can go to the Windows download page and get it right now. I put it on 6 computers in my house with Win7 and 8.1 and have had no problems at all. Just make sure you go through all the settings and set it up how you want it or do the custom install.
  13. s7n7a7k7e Active Member

Yeah, search for Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. When you install it, you have to pick the correct version of Windows 10 that you are eligible for if you want a clean install. Just be warned. There have been instances of Activation Issues after clean installs of Windows 10.Two of the for here with OEM keys had activation issues, but were fixed within the command prompt.
  14. s7n7a7k7e Active Member

LOL, yeah. I just have a very flexible schedule... errr... sort of. I work from home doing web and print design, but my daughter takes up most of my free time. She was not too happy that the laptop had downtime getting it all set up again, lol. I don't get a lot of free time to myself. I just stay up late and deprive myself of sleep in order to regain the little bit of my sanity that is lost with each passing day. :confused:

I don't have too many games from GOG. Vampire the Masquerade Redemption from GOG worked flawlessly though. Even the intro videos that used to stutter were playing fine. So far I've tested that, Everquest 2, Warframe, Alien Isolation, Tales from the Borderlands, CS:GO, Team Fortress 2, Spore, and Primal Carnage. All working flawlessly. Mostly just booted them up and did some quick runs to test them out, and others I watched my daughter play while I was getting things done. Hope that helps. :D
    Spindle likes this.
  15. Iadien Active Member

I'm assuming you mean Good Old Games? If you are, all of mine work fine. I launched around 15 GOG games I have, without any issues. I have yet to have an issue in any game.

My only issue with Win 10 at all so far was having to remove my previous Nvidia drivers with a driver uninstaller program. Then the newest Nvidia drivers installed fine. Not everyone is having that issue though.
  16. Deago Well-Known Member

Anybody tried Windows 10 in a VM yet? I have been too lazy and usually run 7.
  17. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

Just an FYI you can choose whether on not you want Microsoft to install drivers for you or not. It's a separate setting from Windows Update settings. Just type in "driver" from Settings search and choose "Device installation settings".

So far 2 desktops and 1 laptop have gone very smoothly. The one ASUS laptop running Win7 had a couple errors, but I haven't been diligent about updates with it. I need to make sure it's stable and try again.

This is the best OS I've ever used. The family has been having fun playing the Win10 version of Minecraft on the local network. I think people pass on this are missing an opportunity, especially for the free upgrade.
    s7n7a7k7e likes this.
  18. Deago Well-Known Member

When did Windows really cost anything? :D
    Torvaldr likes this.
  19. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

Wait, are you the Deago I was talking to on Everfrost last night? :D :p
    Deago likes this.
  20. Deago Well-Known Member

Man folks are using this name on servers trying to soak up my greatness...sigh...j/k
    :p:cool::p
    Torvaldr likes this.