What do you suppose the next Expansion will be about?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by GabenBison, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I judge it based on the actions they took. they had no idea what the Greenmist was. It ate through thier people and they fled to the moon leaving everything behind and only translocating the Temple, that had the most important members of thier society in it. And it terrifed them so much that they created the Grey in fear of it, and dared not step beyond it's boundary. if you knew it was coming, then you'd think you'd put the Calender your using into the Temple itself. and the Calendar was pretty damn huge. I doubt someone could just make a 'rubbing' once they saw the Greenmist come rolling in. we've been in the Temple top to bottom, the calendar isn't in it.

I might concede that MAYBE the explosion of the moon left a few undead liches stuck on a floating peice of rock....but I doubt it. I imagine that an explosion large enough to rip the moon apart would shatter most any container just from the sheer shockwaves, magical or not. especially the shockwaves from something like the Dresolisk Stones, which was designed to purge all norrath in fire.
  2. Rotherian Well-Known Member

We have no idea what the capabilities of the Shissar were prior to their departure. We also have no idea whether the Chelsith Stone is the original or a duplicate.

But are you seriously suggesting that the portion of their society that was capable of translocating a temple was somehow incapable of duplicating the Chelsith Stone (if, in fact, the Chelsith Stone is the original calendar - which we don't know for certain; for all we know, the Chelsith Stone could be the portable* version) or any other way of recording the data, well prior to the Greenmist?

Also, put yourself in this scenario, you are in charge and you figure out something bad is going to happen - soon - and it is something that you are not capable of stopping entirely. Do you take the time to warn everybody - possibly placing yourself at risk - or do you primarily make sure that you and your friends and/or family are safe before you worry about anyone else**?

As far as we know, it isn't there***. However, I don't recall a large chisel and sledgehammer being among my equipment when I went to Luclin during EQ. The part of that temple that we saw were the parts we were allowed to see. That doesn't preclude there being parts that were only accessible if one happens to be a Shissar. It also doesn't preclude the symbols in the the temple being out of the humanoid spectrum of vision.

I'm not saying that these things are necessarily what occurred, I'm just saying that it is within the realm of possibility. It isn't as clear cut as you're trying to make it.

It is also entirely possible that, during the approximately 450 year interim between the split (or at least divergence) between EQ's and EQ2's respective timelines and the time of The Shattering that at least some of the Shissar would manage to travel to one of the other moons of Norrath (Drinal has been confirmed to be a moon of Norrath within EQ2, and it is possible that Morrel is as well, although this has not been confirmed from any in-game source within EQ2). Or possibly even other planets in the system containing Norrath's primary star - called by some Fennin Ro, but again, not in any in-game source within EQ2.

* Portable by the labor of those that they had subjugated, but portable nonetheless. :eek: Which also can help explain why they didn't bring it with them. If you are in a hurry, and a member of a society that is known for its subjugation of entire cultures, are you going to make sure that all the "lesser races" come with you, or are you just going to plan on subjugating natives at your new destination? o_O
    ** Because I know that I'd have been like "Ma (check), Pa (check), Nana (check), Wife (check), Kidzu (check, check, check), Self (check)." Then I'd turn to everyone else, and go, "Look! Greenmist!" And then I'd make my escape with a loud and thunderous. "Dueces! See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!" :eek: :p I wouldn't mention anything to anybody else until my preparations were complete - including duplicating things as necessary (such as the one thing with the potential to give us a clue about what might happen next).
    *** But, let's face it, one could fit a planetary mass into the gap between what we know and what there is to know****.
    **** And another very large object into the one between what we think we know and what we actually do. ;)

tl;dr - It is all speculation. Both your ideas and mine.
  3. Gorion Member

Actually, it's only logical that they would make the next zone a higher level if they planned to raise the level cap this year. It'll keep the zone relevant for longer after the level cap increase, and it's much easier than scaling the zone up after the fact.
    GIndotto likes this.
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ok, we've had this calendar for a while now. Is anyone actually looking at the calendar to figure out what comes next? Probably not. Why? Just because we have the symbols doesn't mean that we know what is going to happen.

We get that the Shattering symbol means the destruction of Luclin, but it is an after the fact kind of knowledge. Before every major event that we have symbols for we start guessing exactly what it might mean. And...our record is very, very poor for making a decent guess. A lot of it has to do with understanding what the symbol alludes to. Even after we know that we only have a target, not what is going to happen to it. Heck, we still fight over what order the symbols come in.

The last symbol we delt with was the Zek symbol. Nobody predicted that we'd kill Rallos Zek before we got to Velious. The calendar gives us vague warnings at best.

When the Shissar figured out that events were coming they might of been able to predict a bit more accurately, but considering that was the first time the Greenmist ever struck Norrath...give them a break! They knew something bad was going to happen. The Emperor and his high priests were all on guard and they reacted as soon as they understood the danger. If they didn't act before the Greenmist arrived they wouldn't of been able to escape. They also acted to make sure it couldn't happen to them ever again. Overreaction? Not really.

Even if all they had were tomes about their original studies of the runes and the prophecy they made about it they should have more to work with than we do with the "real" calendar itself. Also consider that many of the key people that would of worked on the project are probably amongst the high priests serving the Emperor. So come every event on the calendar they are probably on high alert watching for signs they are the target of the next event. They might even understand which events refer to things that could affect them.

I'm not saying that Luclin definitely has anything left on it, but I hold out a strong possibility for it.
  5. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

In a fantasy game that has no end of contradictions, the developers would have no great problem coming up with a rationale for why parts of an exploded moon might still be habitable.
  6. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Given the extent Chronomancy has come into affairs, I'd wager our beginning and ending runes may be the same.

My creeping suspicion, for some time, is that Kerafyrm decides to make his move against Norrath in the relative past. Of course with the Nexus Core gone, you need a new linking point...and the Nexus on Luclin becomes a likely candidate.

So. Final showdown on pre-Shattering Luclin...dodging the stranded minions of Zek and Ro as well as the Awakened...

...all leading to a cataclysmic date with Destiny. In our own past.

(P.S.: The groundwork may be laid more thoroughly than you think. Remember Tarag the Lost in New!Chelsith? Remember his tale of how he got there? If not, go back and pay very close attention to that little detail...)
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

who knows what will be left.
    all that we know is that Soe said that the Age of Prophecy will finally be ending in this expac
    meaning that we will probably overcome Kerafyrm in some way (probably with alot of help from norrath all over).
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

I hate time travel.
    cellinaire, Avahlynn and Malleria like this.
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

This times a billion.
    cellinaire likes this.
  10. cellinaire Well-Known Member

Ok it seems (from today's AMA) :

1) May 7, 2pm PDT eq2 livestream(info on expansion will start to get revealed)

2) This exp IS related to dinosaurs

3) 2 brand new, unique overland zones

.....................lastly, no more time travel plzzzzzzz!!
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Well they keep talking about dinosaurs and saying people from EQ1 might recognize things. The only places that I remember being dino heavy in EQ1 are kunark and velious. I think we have seen all the stuff from these places? Otherwise the only other place I can think of is a zone behind the 'veil of alaris' called 'Beasts Domain' which is CHOKED with dinosaurs.
  12. cellinaire Well-Known Member

We're talking about 500 years later in different reality..not all EQ2 flora/fauna/mobs need to have already existed in EQ1.
    I think yer worried about an 'never-mentioned-or-seen--before continent' suddenly popping up, and that one I'm also worried a bit.
    We will see soon enough, though :)
  13. Neiloch Well-Known Member

14. Ucala Well-Known Member

yea, that one dev was excited about getting his dino mount
  15. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

Ocean of Tears? Seems too small for an expansion though
  16. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ocean of Tears had dinosaurs, and a lot of islands that you had no reason to visit. Home to the Allisaurus (which would randomly path to the boat and kill AFK characters...like me), the dragon Faydwyr and the Sister's of Erollisi. All in all there were a few large islands with dinosaurs on them. The variety could certainly be expanded without anyone objecting.

Also since the Rending caused all kinds of havoc there isn't any reason that the former islands of the area couldn't become the peaks of a mountain range. If the ocean level dropped 15' that could potentially cause a lot of land to suddenly appear with some shallow straights between islands.
  17. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Making the call:

EverQuest II: Age of Scale

Kerafyrm makes his move in Norrath's past and succeeds...so of course, it's up to us to go back and fix it! (New zones would be the changed Norrath as a result of Kerafyrm's victory...)
  18. Meirril Well-Known Member

Why not just call it:

EverQuest II: Back to the Future

Marty collects a bunch of psychopaths Adventurers and brings them into the past of Springdale Norrath to fix the time stream after Kerafyrm changed our present by traveling to the past to change the future. Pre-purchase now to get the Extraordinarily Well Cultured Raptor Illusion and the bonus mount: Steam Delorian! Our collectors edition includes the special mount: Flying Train and a new house: Clock Tower.

Also look for our new line of T-Rex mounts available in the Station Cash store. Buy the T-shirt too.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  19. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I know people are like half joking but I really hope it isn't some 'land of the lost' or time travel thing that gets us lots of dinos. That would be wrong, both aesthetically and factually, for so many reasons. 'long long ago' doesn't immediately mean 'dinosaurs.' Especially in Norrath lol. Maybe the lizardmen in the video are sleestaks.
  20. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Dinosaurs. Well... I can see my berserker looking back at her guild mates and saying "you want me to taunt....that!? " and then shoving a clothie member at it. "Maybe it's afraid of fire. Go test that theory."