Your Personal DPS best

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Manaelil, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Sancus Augur

Ironically the current test patch makes Wizard damage more like that graph, and less like what you're hoping for :rolleyes:

Edit: To be fair, it does the same thing to Mages, just with a much lower graph throughout... :(
  2. Brogett Augur

Well, I guess that's one way of making melee and casters more similar in shape of damage over time!

However I thnk it's the wrong approach. The difference between burst synced dps and non-burn ought to be maybe 3x or so; making burn valuable, but not insanely strong. This is how it used to be.

Consider:

Duelist Discipline

Slot Description
    1: Increase All Skills Damage Modifier by 100%
    2: Increase All Skills Minimum Damage Modifier by 400%

That was current up to 75 where we got Assassin's disc (117/468%) and then Executioners and more recently Eradicators (164% and 597%). Yet that is now considered our weak third disc as we'll be stacking Rogue's Fury (Increase Hit Damage by 255%, Increase Min Hit Damage by 255%, some overhaste too I think) with Frenzied Stabbing and Twisted Chance (500% crit chance and guaranteed 100% hit rate).

Boosting discs regularly seems nice. We're getting an "upgrade", right? However if they become too powerful then everyone claims foul on the short burns, and we're stagnated. It's not the disc that is stagnated though - it's the base damage so that the multiplied up damsage isn't overpowered. The net effect is that we slip back on sustained every time we gain a bit more burst through an "upgrade".

The correct solution is to only boost multipliers if they come after (or with) an appropriate +damage mod that brings the baseline up a bit in a non-multiplicative manner. We have some of those abilities too - mostly AAs to add +dam to pierce, backstab and the like, but they've been balanced poorly.

Thet net effect is that we started off with say 2.5x multiplier on our best burn and ended up with something like 8-9x mulitplier (when stacked with other peoples ADPS). It's not sustainable.
  3. RangerGuy Augur

From what I see this graph is similar to all burst graphs I have ever seen since parsing graphs became public. The only difference is the spike has grown in magnitude. Any drastic changes to this pattern and you aren't really a burst class anymore your just a dps class that does everything.

There was never an issue with this until raid burst fights stopped being the focus of raid dps.
  4. ~Mills~ Augur

5. Bigstomp Augur