XP Potions - Please consider shorter duration w/ charges

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rile, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Nolrog Augur

Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black and Decker and now they are able to market tools in other stores besides Sears.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

It was always 4 hours. The only thing that has changed is your understanding. You are now enlightened.
  3. malaki Augur

It's been the 4 hour pots at least as long as Phinigel has been around.
  4. Wiff Elder

Yesterday I looked at potions in the store for the first time in forever and there was an xp potion I could get for 0 points that was 30 minutes.
  5. Wiff Elder

My main problem with the XP potions are that they don't stack with Lesson.

I don't even really care if the bonuses stack, but the fact that a 4 hour potion locks me out of using lesson makes me not buy potions any more. I generally only play an hour or so a day on a couple different toons to burn lesson. Lesson is more overall xp than the pots unless you play at least 2 hours.

If buffs themselves stacked (even if it only counted the higher of the two) I would have an xp pot going all the time. As it is, I have no use for them at all.
  6. Thash Zoner

Two amazing things we were lucky to get, that would not happen in today's game:

Mercs - as per the other thread, it's my impression they're no longer meant to function adequately as replacement group members.

LOTD. Would never never happen since xp potions became a thing.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

It would be awesome if they would suspend while you burn Lesson. Not gonna happen, but I can dream.
  8. Geroblue Augur

Thats the complimentary potion. One per character.
  9. Geroblue Augur

Nope. I've been here since before the potions existed. I started playing this game in 2004. The monthly bonus potions were 4 that lasted for 30 minutes. Now they are 3 that last for 4 hours.
  10. TheJoos New Member

I think the current xp pots are fine. This is a good way to lose a nice thing.
  11. Geroblue Augur

I think the current 3 for 4 hours is better.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Would be nice to have the XP pots broken down a bit further, but I don't know if it's worth dev time.
  13. Thalliius Augur

It literally takes like maybe 5 minutes of a devs time lol

You copy and paste the code for the existing experience potion, then you adjust the timer modifier to be 60 minutes instead of 240 minutes. Save it with a new item name, or just put a 2 at the end of the existing one

And bam, you’re done. This suggestion takes virtually no dev time
  14. Thalliius Augur

Very insightful
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Based on your years of working on old code and your role as a lead game designer?

Ngreth has already stated that the game has too many items. It may seem simple on the surface, but so much goes on behind the scenes no one on these boards except red names can speak with any authority as to how much or how little work goes into an idea.
    Pirlo likes this.
  16. Thalliius Augur

Funny you should ask... you’re exactly right, I worked at a game development company for 11 years as a development lead and ended as the Product Manager. When I started out, one of my roles was to design content like quests, items, mobs, loot tables, mounting items like weapons and shields to the character models hands, etc

I worked on virtually every aspect of video game design and development for an MMO and several other genres for over a decade, which included working on some pretty obsolete game engines. I’m very confident that it would require minimal effort to create a new experience potion.

It would take less than 30 minutes of a content developers time. It would take even less time if they have a good administrative backend, which I’m sure they do if a smaller company like the one I worked for could have content management backends with item editors, etc, a bigger title game like EQ certainly has one

Tear my idea to pieces if you want, but if your argument is that it would take too much time for them to implement, then you simply don’t have an argument.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

First of all, nice.

Second, I am far from tearing your idea apart. I want what you want. I am just stating what Ngreth stated a few weeks ago. Too many items.

Third, what else could that 30 minutes be spent on instead of what amounts to a creature comfort? The current XP pots aren't one size fits all. The duration works better for some than others.

Thanks for sharing your background. Mine is technical liaison between development teams. I literally am a human bridge.
    Thalliius likes this.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Sure you don't build walls?
  19. Thalliius Augur

As a fellow human bridge (current job), I salute you

Whether they should implement it or not would entirely depend on if they feel that creature comfort would generate revenue for them. As someone who has spent well over $150 on xp potions in about a 2 month time frame, I’ve stopped buying them at max level now because i don’t always have 4 hours to grind before a raid and what not.. it’s rare that I get into a group that lasts 4 hours without some interruption, so I would actually start buying XP potions again if they were 1 hour durations that I know I can maximize efficiency with

They could charge a bit more for shorter duration, although I think their prices are too high compared to other games with micro transaction XP boosts, so they would need to be careful about price gauging.

It’s the perfect type of micro transaction tho, because an XP potion is consumed and people always need XP whether they’re leveling to 60, working AAs or building an alt. They’ll never hit a point where there are too many XP potions in the game, or hit a point where people don’t need experience/AA
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There are days, my friend, where I feel the teams build walls around themselves...it's difficult to tease the data out of a given PI. But that's a conversation for another time (and probably another forum).