XP Potions - Please consider shorter duration w/ charges

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rile, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Rile Lorekeeper

Devs,

I’d like to ask you to please consider changing experience potions to be 1-2 hours instead of 4 and increasing the number of charges on them. This would get around the whole “Increase XP Rate” arguments and the “Lower Price of XP Potions”

Obviously the XP potions are a big part of your business model, I get it. Lets be quite frank tho, they are very expensive, at least compared to most any other game I’ve played with micro transactions. Since it’s not likely that you’d lower the price (I personally think that should happen, but understand that it realistically won’t), given how much money you charge for them ($10 for 50% XP for 4 hours), I think it’s perfectly reasonable to shorten the duration down to 1-2 hours (I’d prefer 1 hour) and increase the charges accordingly (is; 2 hour duration would have 2 charges, or a 1 hour duration would have 4 charges.... or 5 if you’re feeling generous

My argument for this change is that it’s quite costly to buy these and what sometimes happens is that I’ll get a group, show up and start grinding XP at a camp. When I get a good sense for the group and the rate at which we’re killing, if it’s decent i used to pop an XP potion to maximize efficiency. A lot of times it works out great, 4 hours later I have a good amount of experience (still comes incredibly slow IMO, but that’s a separate discussion).

However there have been several occasions where I would pop a XP potion, then 30 minutes later the tank and/or cleric have to go and you’re stuck in a situation where you’re trying to fill those spots, but that can take literally 30-60 minutes depending on time of day, dungeon location, etc and your expensive experience potion ticks away. I’ve heard the argument of “well don’t be an idiot and just manage your potions better and go to the nexus”, but that is a lazy argument because when you’re out at a camp grinding and someone leaves, especially as group leader (which I usually am), you have to stay at the camp and get a replacement. Even if i immediately gated back to Nexus the second we lost a tank or healer (not practical to do, but just for arguments sake), you would still lose the time it takes to get back to the camp once a replacement is found , buff and get the camp split again assuming no one has taken the camp over.

By making the duration of the XP potions shorter and adding more charges, DBG loses nothing because you’re still selling 4 hours worth of experience boost, but it gives the players more control over the use and management of the experience boost by being in shorter increments, which is easiest to plan around and not as devastating when things outside of your control impact the group and waste away the XP potion you just spent $5-$10 on

I don’t think this is very unreasonable and it wouldn’t be hard to implement either, you already have charges on items coded and you have durations, so it’s just a matter of modifying those stats on the existing item and updating all the ones in the game, or simply make a new item in the store

Im at a point whrere I don’t think I’ll but anymore and I’ve spent close to $80 or so on XP potions in 3 weeks. I’d keep buying them regularly if they had charges that I had more control over them. I’d also likely roll an alternate character as well once I’m 60 which would mean buying even more

Just something to consider
  2. Geroblue Augur

The ones you get when you click on Station to buy something, right after your All Access month renews, are for 30 minutes each.

I think they should be the same 4 hours as the others.
  3. Elskidor Augur

Wouldn't be a bad idea to offer 1 or 2 hour ones for cheaper. That's usually what stops me from getting a potion. I don't always have the time to sit down and burn a 4 hour potion, but I always play a solid hour or two daily and could go for something like that any day of the week.
    Rile likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

I would much rather the 4 hour ones be either a stack of 4 or 1 potion with 4 charges. It's hard to take decent advantage of a 4 hour potion. I can get an hour or so but then life happens and the next time I'm on, I spend time getting set up (or doing other things) so a good amount goes to waste.
    Rile likes this.
  5. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

They have zero incentive to change EXP potions. 4 hours 1 shot potions are a maximum return model. Few people get the full use of a potion so DBG likely gets extra business from people who waste some of that potion. The potions obviously sell so until they don't we wont be getting any adjustment to them.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Maybe they would sell better if people felt they get better use from them.
    Rile likes this.
  7. RandomStrategy Augur

I have no idea what you're smoking, the "deal" on 3 Adventure II potions are all 4 hours each.
    Nolrog likes this.
  8. a_librarian Augur

How do you know this?
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Make EXP potions unlimited duration. However they have 200 counters on them. When you get an EXP hit from a kill it eats one counter. When all the counters are gone the buff ends.

This way people feel more comfortable burning EXP potions regardless of how much time they know they can commit to grinding EXP. Even if you get 10 Kills into a group and you need to leave you still will have 190 charges left that you can use your next play session regardless of when that is.

Sell some with more counters maybe a 500 and a 1000 counter potion?
    skattabrainz, Crayon123 and Rile like this.
  10. Spayce Augur

No idea how someone could be so confidently wrong, but...grats? The 3 potions you get every month are 25% for 4 hours.

I agree with the general premise that 4 hours is too long and would prefer 4 charges at 1 hour. It's rare I have 4 hours to grind XP between raids, and I would buy many more potions if they weren't 4 hours in duration. I have no delusions that my game experience is somehow representative of the overall player base, but it would be interesting to see them simply add in both options and see which one sells better. A shorter duration potion would have to be more expensive on a $/time basis, of course, so folks would have to decide what they want.
  11. Crayon123 Augur

I was thinking they may be able to utilize the "out of combat" timer (set at 5 minutes like a raid) and have the XP potion stop ticking down during periods of non-combat or inactivity. That way, you can pop a 4 hour pot, XP as long as you want, and if you have to get a rep or go for the night - your potion will continue ticking down for 5 minutes and then pause until you resume XP'ing or log in the next day.

Doing something like the above, I would pretty much keep a pot active at all times and be encouraged to purchase more of them.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Best idea since Sears opening.
  13. RandomStrategy Augur

You know Sears is filing for Chapter 11 right now, right?
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I didn't know that but it would explain why I saw a commercial by Lowes saying they carry Craftsman tools now.
  15. Geroblue Augur

Mine have always said 30 minutes each Adventure II. There are 4 of them.

So how did you get better ones ?
  16. Geroblue Augur

Mine are 4 pots of 30 minutes each. I'll be auto-renewing in a few days. I'll post if mine are different this time.

Older ones I got last year, show 30 minutes each.
  17. Geroblue Augur

As long as you are in POK or Guild Lobby/Hall, they shouldn't count down. Same as buffs not counting down.
  18. Spayce Augur

How many guilds raid POK or the guild lobby?
  19. Geroblue Augur

I'm saying set up there, then zone.
  20. Geroblue Augur

Okay, I just checked my DB 500 reward for all access. It has changed.

Now it is 3 pots at 4 hours each. In the past, likely last year as that was the last time I had renewed for 2 months in a row, it was 4 pots at 30 minutes each.