Wizard Spell Lineup

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Narev, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Narev New Member

Haven't played in a year or so, and even when I played I didn't pay too close attention to my spell line-up. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for my spell line-up and order (both for raids and for groups). I am using key-binds. Here's what I have right now (I'm going from memory so the names might correspond to old nukes, but it should be easy to figure out what I mean):

1) Claw (fire)
    2) Wildmagic
    3) Chaos Char

--the above combination is my first keybind

4) Ethereal Weave
    5) Ethereal (fire)
    6) Ethereal (ice)
    7) Cloudburst

--the above combination is my BURN keybind

8) Twincast
    9) Shield of Fate
    10) Synapsefreeze
    11) Harvest
    12) Rotates between silly things... Sword pet, Concussion, sometimes even a port spell that I forget to un-mem

Final note: I do have Force of Will linked into both keybinds. I also use the same set-up for groups and raids, but I suspect I shouldn't.

Help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. Brohg Augur

Wildmagic and Chaos and likely freeze don't deserve spots on your spellbar. Except in extreme situations, their efficiency just isn't necessary and so you're losing a lot of dps using them.

Your position for Cloudburst will keep it from ever casting. It's a wizard's highest dps spell, it should be casting *lots*

You mention Force of Will, I'll presume you mean also fire & ice versions since they're not linked.

First hotbutton (keybind, w/e. I manage these with hotbuttons so they're more flexible) should be Cloudburst->Claw->[Magmatic Vent unless there are mezzes]->Ethereal.

Second hotbutton is fine except Cloudburst needs to be ahead of the two Ethereals to cast ever.
  3. Narev New Member

Thanks - I'd read a lot of posts about Cloudburst being the highest DPS spell, but no matter where I seemed to move it, my DPS would go down. My foci are all the same, so I know it's not that. That's kind of why I posted this - so I could see what I'm doing wrong.

I hate having Freeze on my spellbar. The only reason I have it on there at all is so that I can cast immediately without pulling agro. I could blame it on the tanks, but it's easier to just cast Freeze first.

I'll fix my keybinds and check my numbers again.

Also - I only have Force of Will linked, because I haven't bought the others yet lol.
  4. Nylrem Augur

Cloudburst is not the highest DPS spell when factor in global cooldown.

Try this spell weave: Weave > Magmatic Vent > Ethereal Incandescence > Cloudburst > Ethereal Hoarfrost. I think this will most likely be your highest DPS weave if the mob(s) will be hit by all waves of Magmatic Vent.

Magmatic Vent > Claw > Fire Ethereal > Cold Ethereal > Bucolic Harvest (clicking harvest, if it's available, after any mob death) is a good weave for sustained DPS. This allows for Claw to refresh Harvest a lot and utilizing the two high DPS, mana efficient spells first provides for greatly decreased mana consumption over time.

If you can get Magmatic Vent to actually hit 4 targets (4mobs x 1wave or 2mobs x 2waves), it's about 30% better dps than Fire Ethereal.
  5. Narev New Member

Brohg's setup has me doing almost double my former DPS - but I'm running out of mana damn fast. Not much I can do about that I guess except keep upgrading gear.
  6. Brohg Augur

For the wizard Hotpants linked in my .sig (group foci), after all the crit% & spell damage & such,

Ethereal Incandescence Rk.II can be expected to deal, on average, 117416, casting in 1.9, cooldown 1.5, 3.4 total for 34534dps (you know, "ish")

Cloudburst Thunderbolt Rk.II can be expected to deal 64517, 0 sec cast but the same 1.5 cooldown, total? 43k dps.

I totally factor in global cooldown. I think there may be things you've not factored in?
  7. Brohg Augur

Running your mana down is totally the goal :) Around 20% mana or whatever, you can swap in the old Wildmagic instead of Ethereal until Claw resets your Harvest again, or the AA pops or modrod or the cleric Quiet Miracles you, or you get a Focused Paragon - like whatever. When you're using all your mana, then mana recovery tools become great. If you're bottoming out on the regular without any kind of recovery tool coming up soon, then you're going to need another spell in the linup, like Gosik's Fire in place of Ethereal for the first hotbutton. As you say, gearing past this is definitely the goal. Spec:Evo aug, mana return procs, etc
  8. Apoc Augur

While Cloudburst might be the highest dps spell in theory i did a short parse 4 ish mins parse no burns
    223 seconds - Ethereal Incadescence Rk 3 cast 28 times (0 Resists) -50 Resist Adjust x 4498 mana (125944) for 3614328 damage

225 seconds - Cloudburst Thunderbolt Rk 3 cast 63 times (2 Resists) -20 Resist Adjust x 2686 mana (169218) for 3517249 damage

Also if you factor in that a wizards burns are heavily dependent on counter based Crit Chance Increases for burns you might question why would i use cloudburst and eat up 2x as many counters to do the same amount of damage at a much higher mana cost. Also i do not multi-bind anything especially not forces since they are used as edgers in between spell casts during GCD.
  9. Apoc Augur

I'm not here to crucify Cloudburst because i do use it in certain situations burns of > 120 seconds that end an event ie General Vaxa BW1
  10. Brohg Augur

Both spells have a five second recast timer, casting nothing else doesn't show their respective power in a weave at all. You can cast the next spell 1.5s after hitting Cloudburst, but after hitting Ethereal it's 3.4.

Over the course of any 1.5s, the highest damage thing you can be doing with your spell bar is Cloudbursting. Any 1.5s spent doing anything else with your spellbar, if you could be Cloudbursting instead, is lower dps.

If I factor in burns, then there's a whole host of other questions to ask, primarily about duration, but we're not even talking about the same baseline yet.
  11. Benzarden Augur

Yeah, using up ITC counters on Cloudburst is not advisable.

This is exactly why I do multi-bind. Just spam your key while the spell is refreshing and have forces go off in between spell casts. Not sure how refraining from multi-binds helps you in any way. Just making it harder on yourself, but whatever floats your boat.
  12. Brohg Augur

Forces don't even take a multibind, it's just a 3 line hot button ( Banestrike is on mine for outside raids so it's 4 lines)
  13. Benzarden Augur

Right, on the same hotkey number that you have set to your multibinds. So you just have to spam one key for each multibind you have set up.
  14. Benzarden Augur

OP- there are so many of these threads that already exist. Just dig a couple pages back and there will be more info. Albeit, some of it is bad info. But no worse than the info in this thread. Bottom line is that most of us have some differences in our play style and spell choices. You will have to play around with different lineups to figure out what works best for you.
    Dramatime likes this.
  15. svann Augur

I still dont think the gcd is actually 1.5 seconds no matter what eqresource says. I consistently measure 1.75 seconds. That is measured with a latency of 60ms and using repeating keyboard macro to cast as fast as possible. Measure it yourself.

I use:
    claw
    wildflash
    ethereal fuse
    ethereal skyblaze
    magmatic burst (oh I love the rain spells)
    flashchar
    synapsfreeze
    pet
    twincast
    concussive storm
    bucolic gambit (I hate that the other takes 12s)
    shield of consequence
  16. Sancus Augur

I don't think this concludes much. Between foci and crit chance, you're going to see a lot of variation in that duration, and you're also assuming no one debuffs the mob. In most groups (and definitely in raids) you have someone who can Malo, Tash, or clicky Tash the mob, so resists don't matter much. If you assume those two resists hit at the average damage, it would have beat Ethereal Incandescence in that (short) parse.

As for using counters, that is a valid concern. It definitely depends on the situation; for maximum burst (over, for example, a 60 second period) cloudburst will be higher DPS. If you're going for sustained instead, dropping cloudburst probably makes sense.
  17. Narev New Member

Thanks - I'll look around. I did find some, but they mostly seemed aimed towards level 85 heroic characters.

Brohg - I forgot about mana return procs. I've got damage procs in right now, but I guess their DPS is negligible compared to being able to cast longer.
  18. Apoc Augur

Mana Return procs are a waste onm a wizard
  19. Nylrem Augur

The ACTUAL true global cooldown is NOT 1.5s.

And THAT is why instants are not the best DPS. Those that believe real global cooldown is 1.5s are the ones that believe instants are best DPS. With theoretical 1.5s global cooldown, maybe they are. True, applied cooldowns, they are not.

I fully realize every person's true global cooldown is different, affected by many things. It's not even close to 1.5s though.

I've yet to see anyone truly get less than 1.75s as a true global cooldown (and thus, why I normally figure it at 1.8s). On the east coast, with an 'average' cable connection, 95-101ms, I cannot get better than 1.83s global cooldown.

IMO, don't take anyone's word for anything. It's fine to get advice and see what others are doing, but test everything for yourself. Download gamparse, and use it. Test different weaves, and see which one does best for you, your specific focuses, AA, etc etc can change damage for different spells for you.
  20. Brohg Augur

1.83? np, the calculation can trivially adjust for that.

Ethereal Incandescence Rk.II 117416, casting in 1.9, cooldown 1.83, 3.73 total for 31479dps (you know, "ish")

Cloudburst Thunderbolt Rk.II 64517, 0 sec cast but the same 1.83 cooldown, total? 35255k dps.