Why should pure melee outdamage others?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, May 8, 2013.

1. Piemastaj Augur

I have only said you take hits better then casters, which is a fact. EQ is coded as such unless of course AD or EC are in use. I am unsure how that is me not knowing melee DPS, I am sure numerous parses will show this. Merely said you are designed to take those hits whereas Casters are not, which is why there are caps in place. I would say I am correct there, and that is the only thing that was needed to know in the context of my post.

Try using a pet on Xorbb 1, the ramp ruins their pathing. Pets will occasionally run off for no reason also. Same goes for Swarms, which can not be controlled by anything but incoming DMG. If push occurs, which it does, being in melee range does not help mitigate this always.

The arguments made here are just stupid as to why pure melee should be top DPS. Even if there was such a drastic advantage to casters (there is not), what would be the point of playing them if pure melee DPS classes had a huge advantage? There would be none. It is fairly equal on both sides of the spectrum. Remove rezz effects, add endurance on mod rods (I specifically asked Elidroth for this with no response last year). If that happens on mod rods though, then Respite needs to be looked at possibly for some classes as it is that way for some Mana users.

Most of the points are moot. Burst DPS ruled for years and now the spectrum is changing to more sustained fights and some DPS classes are upset that they went all for the big bang and not so much for the sustained. Which with time will be fixed, you can't expect anything to change drastically (unless there is some serious bug) before the next FULL expansion. T4 will bring possibly better weapon ratios but that will be it. Get your parses together, talk amongst yourselves and solve your issues. Picking fights with casters doesn't make sense.
  2. Tuluvian Elder

Your first half I'll respect. I do not agree with the wild ramp, we don't take those hits period, no one but a tank class does.... Thinking anyone can sit there dps, and assume we're not going to die is just craziness.

As for top dps... Many of us pushed to make sure pets didn't get over nerfed (many of us didnt like the fact of not being able to group with a pet as a tank, as I'm sure mages don't really enjoy being picky with their group mates as well...I know personally I gave plenty of ideas that were liked by the pet class community to remedy a solution--obviously falling on deaf ears, but w/e) , bsts got a boost, monks got a boost , wizards got a boost when they were lacking. As to "there is not", what parses are you looking at? Raid atmosphere is quite different then your real world. In raids I make sure every melee dps has as much adps as they possibly can have (granted the roster available). Xorbb 1? That's gotta be about the most unfriendly melee event ever created, complaining about your pets pathing really isn't ever gonna make me feel the least bit sorry about pathing..., sorry...

During a group atmosphere the dynamics change quite dramatically... A wizard holding a combined 75-150k dps over the course of 45 minutes of actual combat vs a melee doing combined 35-50k dps shows me something is wrong (yes that's burning everytime a discs pops as it seems to be the current argument, and yes w/ t3/t2 raid gear and support..).. Current content mobs dieing in 15s because a wizard is doing 250k-300k? While a melee is 50-140k (assuming adps in group..)

I thank you for the res effect effort you make, those effects are complete bs. enough said...

When burst dps ruled, tell me sustained didn't ask for burst (swift dots/although later nerfed..???) You can't blame burst classes for asking for more sustained (especially after the fact devs say there's 1 type of dps...).. Better ratio weapons was something they did during Hot midway and basically screwed rogues with previous raid weapons when group weapons were better over night. Midway adjustment points are just that though a way to think you've fixed a problem they created in the first place after obviously not doing enough testing (or listening to testers...) Perhaps paying testers, or having devs for each class is the only real solution.

I never picked the fight (the title of the thread gives away the intent of the thread itself..) but watching obvious bs claims about how we can mitigage current wild ramp, dmg shield, ae's shows how little people who don't play those classes actually realize. Hearing how well we solo w/out taking into consideration none of it is actually solo is an obvious false claim... hearing how low our aa max is compared to other classess and how easy it is to reach that point is beyond stupidity..
  3. Tinyfeet Elder

Guess you should get to the bowing down.

I'm not here to do anyone any service. Just here to discredit the ridiculous arguments being used in this thread. I think you all have lost your doggone minds.

Tell me one place I've asked for any caster nerfs, or asked for melee to do more dps than casters. I repeatedly assert that casters are perfectly fine just how they are, but that the melees are not fine right now and need a tune up to be competitive in RoF. Convince me otherwise and I'll hush.
  4. Langya Augur

If memory serves, in the not so distant past, a mage did a touch and go with the guild I am in which is located on the rather unremarkable Rathe server (unremarkable in that we don't have any top 5 guilds on it as far as raiding goes). This mage came in with about 4 days played and something like 2-3k AA at lvl 100. Before this mage decided to leave before anyone even knew this mage was there, because we were just too busy tripping over our own feet I guess, after a week of being tagged this mage was well over 5k AA thanks to beam kiting in City of Bronze. Supposedly they played a rogue at one of the Major League Big Name Elite Raiding guilds of which I won't name on server known for that sort of thing but wanted to be top dps in the game so the rogue, in spite of being probably one of the best in the game, got benched for a while in favor of this overnight sensation of a mage.

I have no idea if this mage got made to prove a point, but one did certainly get proven. It almost falls under the category of "If your class can do something really cool, best keep it to yourself." The whingers and crysacks will soon get that cool ability nerfed down to the level of mediocrity the masses are all used to. I didn't care that a mage could be leveled so fast. I was just mostly disappointed that this mage did not stick around longer. As for the topic....

Melee are not as strong as casters and I have no idea if they should be. The equalizer used to be that casters died real easy but that is not really the case anymore. Rogues and Berserkers die probably much more often than a well played caster these days.
  5. Whataboutbob New Member

Anything that's under the category of "Too much of a good thing" eventually gets nerfed. People bragging about it or people whining against it only speeds up the process.
  6. Coruth Augur

Not to sidestep into politics. But Magelo is usable in same sense that a poll is in politics.

You don't think they survey 10 million people do you? a Poll gives a rough guideline with a margin of error.

Where polls can go haywire, is if they don't survey a representative sample. IE they poll only an area with an inherent bias. (in either question or who you ask))

There is no reason to suggest that magelo isn't a representative sample when comparing classes.
    There is no reason to suggest Rogues update more/less than say mages.

Now when it comes to raiders vs non raiders I suspect there is a bias. But class vs class, I doubt it.

So when it comes to ranking classes by percentage of Max AA toons on Smaller Magelo Sample, you'd probably find same general rankings among the Larger General EQ population.
  7. Dazzle New Member

monks should be top melee dps np. Monks only contribution to a raid is DPS now all others have some other form of contribution
  8. Kaliko Augur

The only pure melee class I personally feel that needs a boost right now is zerkers, due to the new 2h ratios not being much of an upgrade. Monks and rogues are fine.
  9. Tinyfeet Elder

I can't agree with you on this. Relative to the casters every single one of the melees (including the melee hybrids) have been left far behind.
  10. Kaliko Augur

Idk what you're basing your information off of(maybe tov fights?), and not gonna insult your guild, but they don't exactly have top notch dps other than a handful of people.....